Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g3gg0

Quote from: Canon eos m on March 25, 2014, 03:56:22 AM
Hi, I have similar issues with the mlv_rec (green effect, corrupt files, challenge opening some files on mlrawviewer).

thanks for your feedback.

i think the green issue - as reported earlier - is just a result of some changes to the raw backend and maybe some timing issues in combination with the hacks.
(wasnt able to reproduce a single video with green cast after 15-20 tries the last week)
this has always been a wrong black level since then, thats the reason why mlv_rec now hardcodes that field to the most probable value.
for existing footage this can also be fixed using mlv_dump that writes you a .mlv again.

for the crash it would be helpful if you can tell me the settings so i can reproduce.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Canon eos m

Like just now. I was shooting casual footage with my family. The camera was on 1920x1080 snd.mo on. Kept each instance below 20 secs. Things appear to work like a breeze. But there was no prior warning that the card was about to fill up. The last bit ran out the capacity and the camera drew a blank screen and the camera stopped responding. Had to pull the battery out. Likewise, when shooting beyond what the CF card can handle (in those situations when I shoot high fps with large frames sizes), I often face the camera freeze issue. Please let me know if you want me to send you the settings on the camera when it froze last.

Don't know whether it is green or not but there are some batches from the footage I got that are black (blown). Can get one of the files to you if that will help. In some cases the files just won't open with mlrawviewer.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

g3gg0

please, those are important to me for reconstructing what is wrong.

use mlv_dump in.mlv -f [start]-[end] -o out.mlv to export the bad frames.
please add 2-3 frames in front of the problematic section.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

Canon eos m

Sorry to be a dud but do I use this code you provided in c: prompt dos shell or some place else.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Audionut

Yes.  Download this:  http://ml.g3gg0.de/pub_files/be40d197edf4f979415584de63e4251b/mlv_rec.zip

Extract the contents to a HDD, say C: drive.  Copy the MLV files to the same place on the HDD.

Open a command prompt (windows key + x on windows 8 ), navigate to the same place as the files earlier,  (type "cd\" to navigate to C: drive), and then run the command line g3gg0 posted above.

Change the in.mlv and out.mlv sections to the name of your input MLV (MLV8000.MLV or whatever), and output mlv.

ted ramasola

on the 7D, when using max resolution in crop mode, 2496 x1200  2:1  and 2496 x1134  2.20:1
using MLV sound the recording will not stop properly and will need a battery pull.

Normal stop of recording is possible with MLV Sound OFF or at lower res starting at 2496 x1062  2.35:1.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

tonybeccar

Why is mlv_dump much slower than e.g. mlv2dng or raw2dng? Is there any plans to speed it up like multi-core support?

g3gg0

oh, it is slower?didnt realize.
especially as it uses raw2dng code for writing dng's.

gravitatemediagroup

every 1st clip recorded each startup is killed with green footage, that's the pattern I notice so far with the latest build, maybe I need to turn something off or on?

tonybeccar

Quote from: g3gg0 on March 25, 2014, 11:37:50 PM
oh, it is slower?didnt realize.
especially as it uses raw2dng code for writing dng's.

Than mlv2dng yes, like 10-15 times.

g3gg0

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on March 26, 2014, 01:15:45 AM
every 1st clip recorded each startup is killed with green footage, that's the pattern I notice so far with the latest build, maybe I need to turn something off or on?

did you try the latest nightly of mlv_rec? (after 25.03.)

Canon eos m

I check the nightly section twice a day. Last I checked today afternoon (there were no new updates after the 17th March nightly). Checked now and see the 26th March bleeding edge version. Will load today and report results on mlv_raw.

I still owe you the samples for the dark images, skipped frames. Will do this also tonight and send whatever I can.

gideonplus

in MLV crop mode(x3) it crashed after about 2 minutes with a lot of text writen on screen.

The LOGFILE:

ML ASSERT:
hdr->blockSize >= (sizeof(mlv_vidf_hdr_t) + hdr->frameSpace + frame_size)
at mlv_rec.c:1990 (process_frame), task Evf
lv:1 mode:3

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2014Mar26.5D3123
Mercurial changeset   : 48e7ddebc1b9 (5D3-123) tip
Built on 2014-03-26 09:05:23 UTC by [email protected].
Free Memory  : 149K + 3753K

My card is Komputerbay 64GB x1000 , No Memory Hack,GD on,FPS
1920x1080 25p

seb3dge

Hey... Finally I found out what was wrong!

I shot an entire 32GB CF full of nice steadicam shots, came back home, converted the MLVs to DNG... and they were all pink! Not the usual "Premiere Pro" pink... they are pink in ACR, Resolve 10... everywhere. After some trial and error I figured out it was caused by the "Fix black level" set to ON... But since (I guess?) all the data is still there... is there a way to fix it in post (as far as I understood, you can get your "green" shots to "normal" with mlv_dump... so the opposite should be possible too, right?)?

Thanks in advance! :)

Seb

jose_ugs

@g3gg0, testing 1920x508 @ 50fps for more than 4/5minutes str8 and i must say the new builds are much faster/more stable. Goooood Job man!!! :)

g3gg0

Quote from: seb3dge on March 27, 2014, 12:09:45 AM
Hey... Finally I found out what was wrong!

sorry, which problem are you referring to?
(camera model etc)

GooDween

what i am doing wrong?
123 bleeding edge 5d mk3 32gb transcend 1000x. Can't record 1920-1080 29.97 even 2 seconds=|
in crystaldiskmark cf show 154 for read, 114 for write
internal in camera shows 112 for read and only 72 for write.
I am confused
And now he shows me that i should expect around 0 frames and only on 1504h continious, and no info like before about 300 frames or so. only 2 option.

ewinemiller

Quote from: GooDween on March 28, 2014, 01:15:26 PM
what i am doing wrong?
123 bleeding edge 5d mk3 32gb transcend 1000x. Can't record 1920-1080 29.97 even 2 seconds=|
in crystaldiskmark cf show 154 for read, 114 for write
internal in camera shows 112 for read and only 72 for write.
I am confused
And now he shows me that i should expect around 0 frames and only on 1504h continious, and no info like before about 300 frames or so. only 2 option.

Is the card selector set to the SD card? That one catches me every now and then.

GooDween

preferred card cf, magic lantern installed on sd.

g3gg0

can you please:
- enable trace module (trace.mo)
- enable tracing in mlv_rec menu
- record a video

and send me the raw_rec.txt in your SD cards root?

arturochu

any one having this kind of problem?

jpg: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9v0uut63qawuqhb/101.jpg [ edit: http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/bleeding-edge/raw/101.jpg ]

original dng: https://www.dropbox.com/s/epbkuhd9j13ncgi/101.dng [ edit: http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/bleeding-edge/raw/101.dng ]

its present in all my takes of that scene, always around the highlights, first i thought it was a debayer problem in resolve, but it happens the same in after effects and in lightrooom.

any ideas on how to fix it?
Chu

a1ex

Can you upload an underexposed version of the same scene?

arturochu

Chu

a1ex

underexposed == capture fewer photons, please

arturochu

i dont think i have a different exposure for that scene, i really wanted those white spots blown out cause afterwards my subject come into frame and i wanted him well exposed. I could upload the original mlv file if you want.
Chu