Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5Djp

This is for the mark iii correct?  Also I'm running 24fps, maybe thats why.
magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2014Feb16.5D3113 and the latest MLV_rec

Yeah, I just switched mine to 30fps, and it said write speed around 92mb per sec, then it stopped because of frames skipped.  So try 24fps is my only suggestion.  I'm switching mine back.

5Djp

Also, when switching between frame rates.. 30fps to 24fps.. you need to remove the sd card with the bootable magic lantern on it. ( ie.... remove sd card.. shut down camera,.... boot up camera and switch to 24fps,.. shut down.. add the sd card again with magic lantern... and boot it up again.)     Maybe this is standard practice but I'm new to it.  :)
It makes sense though, since it loads on the sd card.

Thejungle

Could anyone provide me a link to most up-to-date mlv-dump, mlv2dng etc directory? I'm going all around the forum and can't find such a thread. It would be great to create one (all-in-one downloads). Thanks!

5Djp

After tons of work, using dng's, and premiere, .. and afterfx.. The workflow sucks.. hands down.
Any chance of extracting the raw to .exr?  Its open source and followed by multiple programs.  Nuke, Afterfx, Premiere..etc
I'm doing the latest build on the Canon 5D Mark iii and MLV (extracting with MLV Converter).

mario1000

Quote from: g3gg0 on February 14, 2014, 06:33:17 PM
@dubzeebass:
do they play fine on PC?

@mario1000:
yes, thats possible. thinking about side effects atm

Dear g3gg0,

I found another interesting script for VirtualDub which claims to be able to fix dropped frames in a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kaDcFBpbdU

Would this be something which could be implemented into a post process workflow for MLV or RAW files?

Best regards

a1ex

This one simply requires the converter to fill the missing frames with a copy of last good frame. Their solution is quite clever if you ask me.

So, I believe it should fit as an EasyCoding task (the only tricky part should be when rounding the timestamps). The same workaround can be used to interpolate pink frames too, but autodetecting them is a little harder.

g3gg0

yeah that was already requested iirc and can be done exactly how alex described.
when the last frame was older than 1.5 times the expected frame time, output again.

if(timestamp - last_timestamp > (3/fps/2))
{
    output_last_frame_again();
}

with proper casting / scaling of course
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

gravitatemediagroup

probably a dumb question, but why can't I get the DNG's converted with mlv converter to open in resolve? :/

if this has been discussed already don't kill me lol, just point me in the right direction.

(just seen that other folks are having workflow issues as well)

bnvm

Quote from: 5Djp on February 18, 2014, 07:00:47 AM
After tons of work, using dng's, and premiere, .. and afterfx.. The workflow sucks.. hands down.
Any chance of extracting the raw to .exr?  Its open source and followed by multiple programs.  Nuke, Afterfx, Premiere..etc
I'm doing the latest build on the Canon 5D Mark iii and MLV (extracting with MLV Converter).

I am sure it could be done, but it would be a fair amount of work and I bet you will have a hard time trying to find someone to work on that when there are many more pressing issues. I may be wrong but I believe mlv can dump to tiff's? If you want exr's you would have to export them form after effects, which I personally don't recommend since AE only does 32 bit- no half float option. 10 bit dpx files using a log camera profile is a good alternative and is much faster to work with than exr's even in nuke. Also if you are using nuke you can work with the dng's directly if you install the j_ops plugin, don't think it works with nuke 8 yet though.

You could also give a resolve a try, it can open the dng's and it exports much faster than AE, adobe debayer is still the best in terms of quality though.

Unfortunately the raw workflow is much more intensive, that is the price we pay.

5Djp

Thanks bnvm,  I've not heard of j_ops.   (and waiting for .dng's to be supported in Premiere)   Dng's work great in afterfx :) 
Exr's would be great, since everything supports them.  I'm still trying to get some of our coders at work excited about it so they can make something for me/us. 
http://www.openexr.com/downloads.html

Markus

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on February 18, 2014, 07:06:34 PM
probably a dumb question, but why can't I get the DNG's converted with mlv converter to open in resolve? :/

if this has been discussed already don't kill me lol, just point me in the right direction.

(just seen that other folks are having workflow issues as well)

Check that the catalog name containing dng files ar not to long! Try renaming to something shorter to see if that is the problem. Davinci does not like long catalog names and deep catalog structures!

swinxx

tested mlv video with audio with newest nightly built from feb 20 on my canon 5d mk3 and had a problem because of inconsistent frames exposure?..
have converted the mlv (which was spanned (i always span on both sd and cf card) during recording) with different methods, with no difference (mlv_dump from 4th jan, and mlv mystic 0.3 on a mac)
when i check the converted dng frames some of the frames are brighter than the others..
i have not used any special options (no dual iso,...)

here is the link of 2 dngs:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xxfb3xj5r085wz8/i7ZqhCET2d

thank you

a1ex

Try outside in natural light. Artificial lights may cause flicker.

swinxx

@alex..
it is not rhythmical.. it happened 3-4 times in 10 sec.. so i dont think that it is from artificial light - i had no flicker in liveview..

a1ex

There are no differences in black/white levels. To me, it looks like a difference in saturation.

I'm not sure how Canon's flicker correction works (whether it's applied on raw or just on jpeg). They do that on top of shutter speed matching with mains frequency.

swinxx

ok, only wanted to report it.. cause it is really eye catching..
greets.

mixmastermike

Has anyone succeeded in getting card spanning to work? reading back through earlier posts it was working and now doesn't seem to be working, see previous page.

I tested it using 1080 30p and can't get over 10 seconds, when I look at the files on the cards the SD card only has extremely small file saved, it seems to be writing to the CF fine.

Im using a 5d Mkiii with 128Gb Lexar 1000x CF and 64 Gb Sandisk Extreme Pro SD and yesterdays build

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

andy kh

i think pink frames for 550d has been solved. i m not very sure. need to do more test. i record 4 clips and there r no pink frames in all the clips
5D Mark III - 70D

5Djp

Just wanted to say I was able to convert using MLVconverter on this fine,. to .dng's and a wav file.  /// but also to use XnView to convert the .dng's to dpx.

I converterted the .dng's using XnView to .dpx and it works in Adobe premiere...

Using the free XnView  www.xnview.com/en/xnview  worked for dpx and it opens in Adobe Premiere CS6.
Use XnView and select all your .dng's ... right click or hit ctrl+U to do batch processing and go to "options" .. and on DPX/Cineon,... click the checkbox on ((("Write DPX in 10bits/component")))  and click "ok" and "Go" in the window below it.

...and i just checked.. it opens in Adobe Premiere CC too.

I'm a bit new to Magic Lantern and all these formats, but converting in XnView with those options seems to work in Premiere.

chmee

@5Djp
great finding. have to try. but do not forget, you re depending on the demosaicing-algorithm in xnview..
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

llirik

Quote from: 5Djp on February 22, 2014, 09:14:58 AM
Just wanted to say I was able to convert using MLVconverter on this fine,. to .dng's and a wav file.  /// but also to use XnView to convert the .dng's to dpx.

MLVConverter isn't doing anything on my end. I click convert and nothing happens. Unable to find more on this... any help?

arrinkiiii

I have run some tests with the last nightly build for the 7D and wend i preview the files in camera and return to Lv the box have move down. Need to turn off and on the camera for return to the right frame in Lv. Im recording at 2.35:1.

The magic zoom it's not so much flickering now, it's so great. And until now didn't find any corrupted/pink frame.

tjaja

Card spanning is working :) 1920x1038 30fps is shooting continuous
Settings: status when recording NONE/Memory Hack ON/Extra hack ON/Buffer Fill 3/CF only 1
Thnx g3gg0!

PS: status when recording DEBUG gives me a around 1300 frames with above settings
5DFree, 550D, canon 50mm 1.4