Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubzeebass

Quote from: g3gg0 on February 14, 2014, 06:33:17 PM
@dubzeebass:
do they play fine on PC?

Well - Mac - but yes, they do. Both with MLRawViewer 0.4 and with the script we wrote to extract DNGs.

I found that if I put the force VGA option on, the framing is right... so it's got to be something not redrawing properly when the feed is upsampled.

dubzeebass

Hey g3gg0,

I wonder if there's some code here you guys could use which would fix that?

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8518.0

noix222

i did a lot of testing.... MLV is not sustaining high bit rate anymore... don't know why. I have all set properly but i cant get 30fps continuous.... :( ---- i have a komputerbay 1000x 64gb. Using RAW_REC it stays around 99MB all time nothing more... using MLV the SD gets 18.2mb all time but CF stays around 50MB 60MB nothing more.. any idea?

thanks guys!!!

BUILD magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2014Feb13.5D3113

also in 5x mode it gains a little bit more speed using RAW_REC goes from 98MB to 101MB...

andy kh

we are unable to download latest nighly for some cameras. there is a messsgae "this buil failed"
5D Mark III - 70D

a1ex

Quote from: noix222 on February 15, 2014, 12:37:13 AM
i did a lot of testing....

Please report it properly, without vague statements. A table with build dates and average speeds would be helpful.

reddeercity

Test the Feb 14th MLV+audio build, from A.D. hack crop view mode & the non hack crop view mode.
We have Audio meter now with frame over ride on,
There's at lest a 3 second delay now when you push the set button to record raw, was not there
on the feb4th build. Is this a problem now ? Or is there a change in the way raw record works ?
Lost all informational overlays/text box on Lv when recording Raw.
Just a little icon with only time as information , I don't like that, there is no way of judging
how much video you recorded at what write speed, File size GB? so you don't know when raw will stop recording or how much you just recorded.
I Would like to see a option to switch back to the text information box with buffer bars instead of the little camera icon.
I switch on "show buffer graph" , this dose not work it just keep that little move icon, no buffer graph.
I have notice when you record a short clip then stop, the buffer bar shows for a spilt second .
The "Global Draw Off" only work in 2 preview mode, HDMI & ML Grayscale, in all other preview
there is a Black-box overlay.
I also notice if you use the hdmi Preview without a hdmi device attach you get wrong framing.
So if you do not want the black box for framing ( as I Do) the White Framing box is only correct for hdmi device.
If you press the delete button while recording raw you can remove the black box for framing to a dark Grey translucent overlay. ;)
Checking files, and notice "mlv_rec.tmp" on CF card, is this the reserve Space ?

For some reason after ever video clip capture ML save a screen shot of the Lv with overlays "bmp"

With the Crop view mode half shutter HI- Res preview in ML Gray preview, work like it should until you start
recording raw then  the hi-res preview becomes all pinky overcast image, feb4th build was not like that it work with or without
raw record running.

g3gg0

Quote from: reddeercity on February 15, 2014, 08:57:27 AM
Test the Feb 14th MLV+audio build, from A.D. hack crop view mode & the non hack crop view mode.
We have Audio meter now with frame over ride on,
There's at lest a 3 second delay now when you push the set button to record raw, was not there
on the feb4th build. Is this a problem now ? Or is there a change in the way raw record works ?

thats the time it takes to generate files on the cards.
this is done before recording starts, so 4GiB splitting wont take too much time anymore.

Lost all informational overlays/text box on Lv when recording Raw.
Just a little icon with only time as information , I don't like that, there is no way of judging
how much video you recorded at what write speed, File size GB? so you don't know when raw will stop recording or how much you just recorded.
I Would like to see a option to switch back to the text information box with buffer bars instead of the little camera icon.
I switch on "show buffer graph" , this dose not work it just keep that little move icon, no buffer graph.
I have notice when you record a short clip then stop, the buffer bar shows for a spilt second .

option "Status when recording" -> "Debug"

The "Global Draw Off" only work in 2 preview mode, HDMI & ML Grayscale, in all other preview
there is a Black-box overlay.
I also notice if you use the hdmi Preview without a hdmi device attach you get wrong framing.
So if you do not want the black box for framing ( as I Do) the White Framing box is only correct for hdmi device.
If you press the delete button while recording raw you can remove the black box for framing to a dark Grey translucent overlay. ;)

uhm interesting

Checking files, and notice "mlv_rec.tmp" on CF card, is this the reserve Space ?

this file is reserve space in the case when card runs full during recording

For some reason after ever video clip capture ML save a screen shot of the Lv with overlays "bmp"

happens when you enabled buffer graphs for debugging

With the Crop view mode half shutter HI- Res preview in ML Gray preview, work like it should until you start
recording raw then  the hi-res preview becomes all pinky overcast image, feb4th build was not like that it work with or without
raw record running.

okay will check
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

g3gg0

there was a display problem with card spanning that i fixed a day ago.
if there were problems related to spanning, check again please.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

tjaja

Will check it immediately for spanning:

EDIT:

Still not correct display: 1920 by 1280 24p shoots 1000 frames but display says:
Total rate 48 MB /s
m15blabla.mlv: 82 MB/s
m15blabla.m00: idle
CF only buffer OFF/ Buffer fill method 4/ card spanning ON/

Maybe a glitch of my camera, waiting for other reporters.

EDIT 2:
Found a glitch regarding SD/CF in mlv:
after I record a mlv the changed file size does not appear in the CANON format menu, but it does with RAW and h264 and photoshooting. I can acces the files though with the file manager module or mlv_play.

Example: i shot a MLV with no card spanning of 1GB to the CF card.

I go to the menu of canon(SET UP1->format card) and in the CF card only 160KB is used.(which is incorrect because the files exists on the card)

EDIT 3

Ok, the correct file size appears when shutting the camera off and on again. The glitch is only on mlv.
5DFree, 550D, canon 50mm 1.4

noix222

testing today MLV magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2014Feb15.5D3113 shooting 30fps mlv_rec .. card spanning ON both hacks ON all rest left as it comes... i barely got 20second of footage.. i don't know why it can't hold 100MB with the CF + 20M of SD... it is giving me just 60mb - 50mb in CF and 18mb in SD. IM using a komputerbay 1000x card it holds up to 100MB with raw_rec... if mlv works we will get easily 30fps fullhd and 2k.. Also when i import DNG's converted in mlv_dump they come all green (easily fixed by adjusting white balance)... thanks guys...

reddeercity

Did you try to reformat your CF card on PC/MAC ? Just a though.

noix222

i did... tried even formatting ExFat, both types of formatting gave me same results... the strange thing is using raw_rec i get 100MB from the CF... but using mlv_rec it goes just around 60mb.... giving CF+SD 80mb. filming in 30fps... are you getting any better of MLV with todays build??  at some point i got continuous 30fps using mlv with card spanning... the thing is i cant find that build anymore i mixed up the folders where i save magic lantern builds.

but no pink frames at all !!!  :D

tjaja

Have you tried Buffer Method 4 and CF only on 0 with spanning ON? That gives me between 90 and 100 (Graph shows 45mb average but thats not correct)

noix222

i just did it now.. tried also using TEST MODE and the best number of 52mb/s came out of buffer method 3 cf only 3 spanning ON... so no changes... when i go back to ml menu the total speed with mlv_rec shows 49MB/s. raw_rec goes on 100mb with no prob .

i just saw that i don't have this modules in my folder: ime_base.mo, ime_rot.mo, smpte.mo, trace.mo

that will change something?

tjaja

What does the second card read out when u have debug on?
Mine for example has B:/dcimblabla/mlv14-000 idle

Like this

noix222

tjaja

Raw Video (MLV) press Q >Scroll to: Status when recording None/Icon/Debug set it to Debug

noix222

yes i got it now... so it shows total rate and goes just around 53mb/s :(

tested out mlv_snd works pretty good.. :D

dubzeebass

Quote from: g3gg0 on February 14, 2014, 06:33:17 PM
@dubzeebass:
do they play fine on PC?

Did you see my response with the other thread? http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8518.0

Is this something that can/will be incorporated into the main distro?

g3gg0

if you exactly name me what you want to see added?

the audio bars removed and the new bar with ETTR put there isntead?

dubzeebass

No the overlays drawing in the right place... Stevefal got all the zebra and focus peaking etc starting at the right area

5Djp

I got it working with the latest build, but I'm seeing a little percentage progress bar in the middle?  What is that?  It appears to reset and count up when I move the camera.

Also,.. if I switch to 1280x720 the screen gets smaller.  Is there a way for me to make it fit the screen?

:)  .. and of course, really amazing work.  I was able to convert using MLV converter perfectly.

5Djp

Noix222  I'm using a Hoodman Steel 32gb card UDMA 7 1000x card     And it recorded a full minute 4gb MLV file.. and could have kept going,..not sure how long, but I'm assuming the same as the raw.

noix222

Quote from: 5Djp on February 16, 2014, 05:49:40 AM
Noix222  I'm using a Hoodman Steel 32gb card UDMA 7 1000x card     And it recorded a full minute 4gb MLV file.. and could have kept going,..not sure how long, but I'm assuming the same as the raw.

30fps ? using MLV im far from it.. it needs 103MB/s to record continuous 30fps 1920x1080 according to ML menu... i get total rate of 53mb/s using mlv_rec with fps override off, both hacks on, buffer method 4, cf 3, spanning mode on, .. don't really know whats up with spanning here my cards (komputerbay 64gb 1000x) SD sandisk extreme pro 32gb - ML installed) using same card but raw_rec i can get 98to100mb/s with no problem almost continuous ... but gives me about a minute recording +- 1500 frames...

reddeercity

Checking the nightly build "v2.3.NEXT.2014Feb16.5D2212"  "5D2" MLV Raw
Thanks :)  for the option back for The "information text box" instead of just the icon
when recording Raw. I thinks its important to have this text box so you know what's happening.
I know its very important me & my workflow.
The "Frame Over Ride" has been disable when audio is enable ?
This was never a issue , I thought.
No Crop marks , when recording but I use a Evf so not a problem for me.
Seam to be a little performance lose with hdmi device attach, 1856x928 is not continuous(with Lexar 1000x)
Used to be ,back on a.d.'s build feb4 & 14th.
Hi-resolution  preview in crop mode when recording is still pinky.
:)