Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy kh

how do i get rid of pink/corrupted frames??
i use canon 550D
5D Mark III - 70D

1%

While LV is paused and the screen is black, you can start H264 on accident if you have a quick trigger finger... this seems to fix it for me:

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/commits/f16e73eafa998ac4afae4990229a73909155803a

Markus

Quote from: tronics on February 09, 2014, 04:50:42 PM
Where to get the latest nightly build of the mlv_rec.mo?
In the OP post there is only one link that did not change over time (as far as I understand).

I have a 128GB 1050x Komputerbay card. Is it worth switching to the current RAW version, or shall I stay with the old version because only the 64GB 1000x is reliable enough?

I have a Canon 5d mkIII and I need to shoot in minimum 1080p25 (located in Europe).

Thank you.

You need a 1050x card that benchmarks above 110mb/sek with crystal disk mark to get stable fullhd mlv +sound stable. (Trancend usb3 udma 7 or equally fast card reader required.)

tronics

Quote from: Markus on February 09, 2014, 08:27:01 PM
You need a 1050x card that benchmarks above 110mb/sek with crystal disk mark to get stable fullhd mlv +sound stable. (Trancend usb3 udma 7 or equally fast card reader required.)

Thank you.

As I understand after multiple passes the best value is shown.
I always looked at the Write column in the first row..

114,5MB/s write with setting 9 times 500MB
111MB/s write with setting 5 times 1000MB
109.9MB/s write with setting 9 times 1000MB
109.5MB/s write with setting 9 times 2000MB
108MB/s write with 9 Times 4000MB

Sometimes there were passes that were below 110MB/s and then the last value allowed it to move above 110MB/s

So this means it does not work for me I suppose..
How much can I save without audio?

Sthirasukha

To Markus
To get the latest nightly build of the mlv_rec.mo:
http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

To g3gg0
I tested your last build, thank you for the new icon options in the LV (icon is great, just like the Raw_Rec option)!

And as I said in another thread:
I tested this :
1— MLVBrowseSharp / DNG+Wav
2— MLVBrowseSharp / RAW+Wav / + RAWMagic / DNG (=CDNG)

There is a small difference between both (at 200%!):
1— DNG are a bit more grainy but more regular in the low-mid-high value. (It works with ACR. Unusable with Resolve 9, maybe it is on 10, I have to try and I also have to test on Premiere CC with DrasticPreview as it seems to work)
2— DNG (=CDNG) are less clean in the low area (more weird colors in the black). The grain is less visible in the mid-high area. (Usable on both ACR and Resolve 9)

It would be more simple if the RAWMagic App could include the MLV files and not only Raw (for a CDNG option) because, even if MLVBroweSharp is a great App, I noticed the RAWMagic is really faster.
Do you think it's possible ?

Markus

Quote from: tronics on February 09, 2014, 10:16:19 PM
Thank you.

As I understand after multiple passes the best value is shown.
I always looked at the Write column in the first row..

114,5MB/s write with setting 9 times 500MB
111MB/s write with setting 5 times 1000MB
109.9MB/s write with setting 9 times 1000MB
109.5MB/s write with setting 9 times 2000MB
108MB/s write with 9 Times 4000MB

Sometimes there were passes that were below 110MB/s and then the last value allowed it to move above 110MB/s

So this means it does not work for me I suppose..
How much can I save without audio?

If you hit over 110mb/sek sequential write there is a good chance it will be stable. My two 64gig cards hits 115mb and are stable so I would guess minimum stable results would be gotten if It benchmarkes 111 or 112mb/sek since my 110mb/sek benchmarking card seemes to be just at the edge of whats required. Sequential Write seems to be the only value of interest since ML writes everything in one large sequential raw file.

mrd777

Can someone tell me where to find comparison between MLV and the regular RAW formats in magic lantern? Thank you!

PressureFM

Quote from: mrd777 on February 10, 2014, 09:25:30 AM
Can someone tell me where to find comparison between MLV and the regular RAW formats in magic lantern? Thank you!

Look at the very first post of this thread.

MLV is a container for both DNGs, metadata and sound, whereas the older RAW module only handles DNGs.

bnvm

I found using the latest a.d. build 02/04 to be the most unstable one so far. I was recording on a 5D2 using mlv with audio at 1728 x 934 23.976 without FPS override, global draw on with magic zoom and digic peaking enabled.

I had several "Audio Failed to Stop" errors where I had to pull the battery.

I had several times when I pressed record I go a frame counter of -1 and the recording just froze. I had to turn off the camera where I got a message saying the camera didn't shut down cleanly and module loading would be skipped.

I had one card that about half way full just would not record any more, it acted like the card was full and I thought it was until I checked it on a computer. That card had some sort of .tmp file with the mlv's that caused issues why I tried to copy the files off the card, the mlv's copied just fine but the computer would not copy the .tmp file saying it was damaged and couldn't be copied. I was able to delete it though.

Out of 68 recordings of about 20 seconds long, I had 10 mlv's that were missing 1 frame, interestingly they were all right around frame 350 ranging from 349-354. I was shooting a a slower card with a max number of frames of about 450. I suspect these may have been recordings where the buffer filled up and the recording stopped automatically. All of the recordings had at least 420 frames so it is not the last frame that is getting dropped.

These are all very random so hopefully some of this info will help.

escho

mlv_dump

Please look at this console output:

edgar@linux-uoww:~/test_with_badpix> ./mlv_dump --dng --fixcp *.MLV

MLV Dumper v1.0
-----------------

Mode of operation:
   - Input MLV file: 'M03-0503.MLV'
   - Convert to DNG frames
   - Output into 'M03-0503_frame_'
File M03-0503.MLV opened
File M03-0503.M00 not existing.
Processing...

Vertical stripes correction:
  1.000  1.000  1.000  1.003  0.998  0.998  0.996  1.005
Cold pixels : 8

I´m sitting in front of my computer, waiting for mlv_dump to have done its work. But I´m only told: "Processing...". I would like to see the progress of the processing. Verbose-output is too much info, Just a little "processing frame xxx / yyyy " would be enough.
Can this be integrated in mlv_dump, please?

Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

N/A

I'm loving MLV so far. Raw video WITH sound is a godsend, even with the 600d's limited resolution. I'm running mlv_rec in 640x480 mode, fps override set to 23.976, 2.39:1 rez, GD on (usually only use spot-meter though), and extra hacks on. Even with fps override on, MLV sound still captures audio at 48khz.

I left pic quality set to sRaw from an old TL build (which is RISKY, as mentioned before), and can manage to squeeze out a decent 13-14 seconds at 1280x536. Even with GD allowed I rarely have corrupted frames now, seems like only 1 or 2 on the first recording, then the rest are fine. MZ definitely causes plenty of corrupted frames though, which is to be expected.

Only bugs I'm noticing now are the previews in-camera always stop 2-4 frames away from the end on both color and B&W previews, and it seems mlv_dump for osx needs to be updated, still not getting ACR 6.7 to detect the camera model correctly.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

mrd777

Quote from: PressureFM on February 10, 2014, 09:45:29 AM
Look at the very first post of this thread.

MLV is a container for both DNGs, metadata and sound, whereas the older RAW module only handles DNGs.

Sorry, I meant, is there a quality difference in these formats?

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

mrd777

arturochu

hey guys, i'm having some trouble with at least two mlv files, once they output the .raw or the .dng and the .wav file, the dngs are ok, they last about 1405 frames wich is about 58.6 seconds in 23.976, but the wav file that mlv dump outputs only lasts 37 seconds, any idea why this is happening? do you think i'm doing something wrong? or mlv dump has some kind of bug?

the settings i remembered using were 1920x1080 23.976 no override of any kind (shutter or fps), audio was enabled with a 48kHz sampling rate, i used the first nightly build that had audio integrated, that means the one from the 7th of february, i'm using a 5d mark iii.

any help would be greatly appreciated. (it was a paid job, tascam broke down in set and had to use audio recording)

thx in advance

cheers
Chu

ted ramasola

@a1ex or g3gg0

Feb 11 nightly for 5d mkII, when turning off the camera, sensor cleaning will not stop, have to turn on and off again to make it stop. I think this is a behavior when update has just been made.

After making changes in the menu, shut down is now normal.

edit: problem patched by a1ex in feb 12 nightly.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Frank7D

Quote from: arturochu on February 12, 2014, 03:37:46 AM
hey guys, i'm having some trouble with at least two mlv files, once they output the .raw or the .dng and the .wav file, the dngs are ok, they last about 1405 frames wich is about 58.6 seconds in 23.976, but the wav file that mlv dump outputs only lasts 37 seconds, any idea why this is happening? do you think i'm doing something wrong? or mlv dump has some kind of bug?

Did you fill up your card? If so, you may have lost the audio that was in the buffer that hadn't been written to the card yet (at least, that is my understanding of what can happen in some cases).

timkev

I'm using 650D on the latest 12 feb. nightly build.

With RAW 1472x670 I can film for 32 sec. (no sound)
With MLV 1472x670 I can film for 20-21 sec. (no sound)
With MLV 1472x670 with sound I can film for 18-19 sec.

Are there any settings that I can change in order to lengthen my recording times?
And also, there's a huge difference between RAW and MLV (no sound) recording times, it's like 10 seconds. Why is that so?
I could just record only in RAW if I don't need sound or are there any quality or any else differences too?

I am new to Magic Lantern so I apologize in advance, if those questions have already been answered.

Thanks.

arturochu

Quote from: Frank7D on February 12, 2014, 05:10:26 PM
Did you fill up your card? If so, you may have lost the audio that was in the buffer that hadn't been written to the card yet (at least, that is my understanding of what can happen in some cases).

sounds logic, but actually those were the first two takes on a 128gb card, and even at the end i didn't fill it up. weird problem i have since its no logic to me that the video in one take lasts more than the audio in the same take, how could the audio stop and not the video too? i'm crossing my finger its a bug in mlv_dump or i'm doing something wrong and the audio is there i just can't get it out.

thx anyway, appreciated.
Chu

tin2tin

I've asked for a possible implementation of MLV into http://www.libraw.org/ here http://www.libraw.org/comment/3091#comment-3091 libraw is a lib based on dcraw.

The coder replied:
QuoteThanks for info.
I've take a quick look into the specs. It looks like, there is no way to locate Nth frame without reading all previous frames, right?
In LibRaw paradigm it will result into very inefficient applications: for movie apps one need API like get_next_frame(), while photography-oriented API (with one-two frame(s) per file) is entirely different.
Without stream-oriented API, support for MLV in LibRaw will be useless.

-- Alex Tutubalin

Can any of you more tech savvy guys help me out to answer his question?

g3gg0

i repied with:
Yeah, the MLV format is designed to have frames appear out-of-order to be able to optimize memory block and write sizes.
Nevertheless it is simple to overcome this - there is a .idx file which contains the file numbers and offsets to VIDF blocks.
These file can be generated using mlv_dump or with the in-camera player.

If you can send me the direct link to the API the mlv routines have to fulfill, i can prepare what is necessary to index the files on startup etc.

see https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/tip/modules/mlv_rec/mlv.h?at=unified

typedef struct {
    uint16_t    fileNumber;    /* the logical file number as specified in header */
    uint16_t    empty;    /* for future use. set to zero. */
    uint64_t    frameOffset;    /* the file offset at which the frame is stored (VIDF/AUDF) */
} PACKED mlv_xref_t;

typedef struct {
    uint8_t     blockType[4];    /* can be added in post processing when out of order data is present */
    uint32_t    blockSize;    /* this can also be placed in a separate file with only file header plus this block */
    uint64_t    timestamp;
    uint32_t    frameType;    /* bitmask: 1=video, 2=audio */
    uint32_t    entryCount;    /* number of xrefs that follow here */
    //mlv_xref_t  xrefEntries;    /* this structure refers to the n'th video/audio frame offset in the files */
} PACKED mlv_xref_hdr_t;
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

a1ex

Quote from: ted ramasola on January 13, 2014, 09:15:31 AM
Can devs tweak this to put safety nets?

Like, If MLV sound is not ON then Vu meters should not be active?

Quote from: ted ramasola on February 04, 2014, 02:23:31 AM
is it also possible to implement the audio meters when FPS over ride is on in MLV raw recording since audio is now being recorded regardless of what FPS is in MLV raw?

These two should be in next nightly. If you have coding skills, I'd like you to review and try these changes:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/4069c8124e1e
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/bbd9161c116e

mario1000

I did not find an answer in the forum thus I´m asking here: would it be possible to mark all skipped frames (maybe in an extra file) in a record thus it will be possible to interpolate the missing frames in post process (e.g. using After Effects together with Framerestorer: http://aescripts.com/pt_framerestorer/).

dubzeebass

Feb 14 5D Mark 3 build.

When I connect my external Lilliput HDMI monitor, the MLV records fine but the Zebra and MLV white frame is shifted to the left quite a bit. When playing back MLV, the No Image overlay from Canon always shows and the MLV in the background is split into pink quadrants with weird lines underneath the No Image overlay.

I thought we'd nipped that shifting problem in the bud? Thought I haven't tried my HDMI monitor in a few months so maybe not.

g3gg0

@dubzeebass:
do they play fine on PC?

@mario1000:
yes, thats possible. thinking about side effects atm