Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g3gg0

if you have a brain-to-ppt converter, that outputs manager-compatible output, let me know.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

g3gg0

Quote from: enliten on September 26, 2013, 06:42:04 PM
Lets say the 5th frame is the one that gets grabbed for compression. The frames would be written to card 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9... and once compression has finished then 5,10,11. So it would be a pseudo-realtime compression. Taking a frame here or there and compressing, rather than every frame. The thing that would allow this to be completed is the new MLV format with has frame metadata, allowing the frame to be uncompressed by whatever tool supports MLV.

good point, but i guess it will not work either.

points against:
- increasing cpu load / memory accesses will slow down CF DMA (concurrent SDRAM accesses)
- locking pages for the frame to compress reduces writing efficiency (one buffer less)
- the real benefit is low, as compressing is slow
- buffer sizes will vary and thus we might see a writing slowdown due to this too

but reducing bit depth to 10 bits could help a bit. on the other hand, i guess the slowdowns cannot be
compensated using some frames that are 5/7th of their original size.

but i like the idea ;)
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

enliten

Quote from: g3gg0 on September 26, 2013, 08:36:38 PM

points against:
- increasing cpu load / memory accesses will slow down CF DMA (concurrent SDRAM accesses)

thanks for the feedback, out of interest does the above point mean that any further reduction of CPU / memory usage will potentially increase write speeds?

JCBEos

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 03, 2013, 03:30:26 PM
Keep your personal stuff off this board!

If you read this thread you will find this on reply 218:

and a bit lower you will find this:

So try it and see.  If it is not compatible with current build then wait until dev makes it available.

Thanks for this post Renato, it helped me a lot
My Youtube Channel -> comments and likes welcome ;)

Shield

Just popping my head in here to find out if any progress has been made getting the audio working / back in the raw builds / synched.
Thanks!
Shawn

AnotherDave

Can someone please give me a link to the latest build?  I've been out of the loop for a long while now... :-/ 

Is there some central place where it will be easiest to find the module?

Thanks.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: AnotherDave on October 03, 2013, 01:32:39 AM
Can someone please give me a link to the latest build?  I've been out of the loop for a long while now... :-/ 
Unfortunately MLV has not made it yet to the unified builds so it is not available through nightly builds.  You will have to compile it yourself or find a complete build in this thread that you can use.
1% has incorporated the MLV into some of his builds including 7D, and others but dont know which.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

AnotherDave

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on October 03, 2013, 02:32:46 AM
Unfortunately MLV has not made it yet to the unified builds so it is not available through nightly builds.  You will have to compile it yourself or find a complete build in this thread that you can use.
1% has incorporated the MLV into some of his builds including 7D, and others but dont know which.

I know.  I'm looking for the most current build that works for the 5D3... i have no idea how to compile something...  I have a few days to mess around with any-all new features and I wanted to see MLV's progress on the mac.

moroz

Hello,
i intend to switch from to 5D2 to 5D3. (never used a 5D3 yet)
i read about file spanning  and got confused.
i know it's a silly question but does it mean that the raw files will be recorded on both CF and SD card?
or the SD card is only used as an additional buffer?
if i  buy a 1000x 64GB CF , will it be necessary to buy a 64GB SD card as well ?
thank you for your help

g3gg0

Quote from: moroz on October 04, 2013, 06:03:05 PM
i know it's a silly question but does it mean that the raw files will be recorded on both CF and SD card?
if i  buy a 1000x 64GB CF , will it be necessary to buy a 64GB SD card as well ?

correct. when enabled, you get some 10MiB/s extra.
this is optional, it can be enabled if you wish.

Midphase

Hold your horses there.

I was under the impression that 64gig SD cards are not preferred size-wise if you install ML on them...is that right?

I assume that the CF and SD cards can be different sizes, they don't have to match....right?

g3gg0

Quote from: Midphase on October 04, 2013, 07:37:05 PM
I assume that the CF and SD cards can be different sizes, they don't have to match....right?

in this case, size doesn't matter.

gtunglaub

Is this build worth installing? Or are the nightlies better?

moroz

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 04, 2013, 07:32:56 PM
correct. when enabled, you get some 10MiB/s extra.
this is optional, it can be enabled if you wish.

sorry but i don't understand. how we can  record the same file on 2 separate cards??
meaning that we'll have to empty both CF and SD when they are full?
meaning additional data transfer time?

g3gg0

MLV format supports multiple chunks, parallel or sequential.
dont care about that - when enabled you get multiple files on both cards.
thats your video footage to process using mlv2dng or any other supported tool.

moroz

g3gg0 thank you for your answers. but  i have the impression that it might slow down the pace on the field (double  data transfer rate, extra SD cards = extra budget...)
what do you think ?  do you recommend MLV for a short film production? (considering that we have limited time for shooting )

g3gg0

then use one card only... it is an OPTION

moroz

understood!
i apologize if this question has been asked before:
concerning the stability,  what do you recommend for a low budget short film? newest nightly build or the MLV v2.0 ?
thank you

Midphase

Considering that .mlv is still being worked on, I think the answer is pretty clear.  ;D

g3gg0

i updated the module.
http://upload.g3gg0.de/pub_files/1610c3f4dba6ad5dc12e84c626ddfd32/raw_rec_mlv.zip

it has some improved writing/opening/closing code, so it may show increased write performance, especially with longer takes.

1%

source?

New raw2dng.exe is in there if anyone needs to update :)

g3gg0

a1ex

sebamax

Before yesterday updating raw_rec_mlv.zip the App MLV converter for MAC OSX worked fine, now, as I convert the file it creates an empty folder.
In the camera as I use preview, it doesn't work and I see a black screen.
Does anyone have the same problem?

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 06, 2013, 01:38:05 AM
updated the mlv fork

https://bitbucket.org/g3gg0/magic-lantern-mlv
I have been compiling and testing mlv for 5D3 form this source:
https://bitbucket.org/g3gg0/magic-lantern/commits/all

Now you update:
https://bitbucket.org/g3gg0/magic-lantern-mlv/commits/all

Should I setup to compile from this new fork?  Why did you not update the other fork?
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X