Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted ramasola

@1%

tested jan 29 nightly for 5D2 and there is something really wrong with it as it cannot record past 3 seconds max, sometimes just 1 sec, depending on the buffer method.

also the same with the 7D module you sent.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

1%

andy kh

Quote from: kgv5 on January 29, 2014, 01:16:46 PM
@ g3gg0

I dont know if this is a known bug but i have it constantly and i think it is easy to reproduce (my camera is doing this every time)

5D3, ML build 28-01-2014 (as far as i remember it was also present in the previous builds).  CF komputerbay 1000x 64BG, Sd sandisk extreme 45mb/s.

When I record with mlv_rec and have sound recording ON and when i am in the 3X crop mode camera hangs every time when frame skips and than requires battery out. Every time camera is not responding. FPS override doesnt matter. It is like that ONLY when sound recording is ON (tested with 48khz). When it is off than after frame skip camera normally comes back to idle. 
This can be extremely annoying especially when somebody forget to turn on FPS override before entering crop mode  - with default 30fps it skips quite fast. This can really ruin some important shot because bringing the camera to life lasts 20-30 seconds.

i m sory. this is not an issue for me
5D Mark III - 70D

g3gg0

Quote from: ted ramasola on January 30, 2014, 04:40:15 AM
@1%

tested jan 29 nightly for 5D2 and there is something really wrong with it as it cannot record past 3 seconds max, sometimes just 1 sec, depending on the buffer method.

also the same with the 7D module you sent.

fixed that today, in parallel to 1% ;)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

andy kh

is there any way to share pic here? when i import dng and audio in davinci resolve, in date created the audio and video doesnt match and i have a picture of that. i would like to share that here
5D Mark III - 70D

ted ramasola

Quote from: andy kh on January 30, 2014, 04:35:48 PM
is there any way to share pic here? when i import dng and audio in davinci resolve, in date created the audio and video doesnt match and i have a picture of that. i would like to share that here
The date seem the same, only the time is slightly different. I think time stamp is generated upon extraction, not sure though.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

andy kh

Quote from: ted ramasola on January 30, 2014, 05:40:02 PM
The date seem the same, only the time is slightly different. I think time stamp is generated upon extraction, not sure though.

yeah u r rite. when i try to auto sync only the first audio sync with all other video clips so there is only one same audio for all video clips
5D Mark III - 70D

crazypig

Dear all developer,

2 X 3 secs BMPCC video with sound

CDNG + WAVE

Please download the file from following link

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ugbt1s

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9pjqxt

two 3 secs video with sound

Best regards,

Sean

kgv5

g3gg0, did you manage to reproduce mlv 3x crop mode frame skip crash bug?
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

g3gg0

just came home.
nope, could not reproduce it yesterday. recorded ~20 videos with various resolutions and all worked as expected.
but after looking at the code again i have a suspect.
i guess its a problem with mlv_snd not being able to allocate a buffer and not continuing ASIF buffering.
for that reason audio would not be able to be stopped. looks like the case that could cause such behavior.

a) can you provide me a trace of mlv_snd?
enable trace module, enable tracing in mlv_snd and upload the log where the error happened.
to make sure the logfile is written completely, poweroff the camera and wait a minute until you remove battery.

b) can you try it with the next nightly?

but it doesnt make any sense to me to use mlv_snd while allowing frame skipping.
it would throw away a few seconds of audio randomly.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

kgv5

g3gg0, here it is trace log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwsdv6c4pfe02sb/mlv_snd.txt

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 30, 2014, 11:09:29 PM
recorded ~20 videos with various resolutions and all worked as expected.

So after frame skip in 3x crop mode your cam went back to idle and became fully operational?
my settings (5d3):
canon menu 1920x1080 25fps
mlv sound - sampling rate 48khz
movie- fps override OFF
mlv_rec- ON 1920x1080 16:9, GD OFF, frame skipping OFF, preview auto, mem hack ON, extra hack ON, buffer fill 4, CF only buff 3, spanning OFF

Sure, tomorrow i will check nightly.

g3gg0

uhm it seems to be something different. this trace is totally clean. :(
can you also start tracing for mlv_rec?

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

Tested Jan 30 TL.

1728 x 972 16:9 buff-2

Capacity test OK fills up Card 64gig.

Recording now continuous and no longer stop at 40gig or 10min.

Movie restart "bug"

I notice a "quirk" I did not find in the 5dmkII.
-when movie restart is ON, in MLV recording, upon manual stop of MLV raw recording H264 starts to record.
Suggestion to have it like the 5DmkII where it does not start h264 rec upon stop of MLV record. OR to disable and grayout this feature on the 7D when MLV raw video is active.
Another side effect when restart is ON is that when mlv recording has filled up CF card, instead of a proper auto stop it crashes and freezes the camera requiring a battery pull.

Recording with HDMI monitor attached

-I noticed that there is a corrupted single frame at the start of a clip and sometimes somewhere in the mid part of clip.

-Playback of MLV video via file man is OK.

Below is sample of corrupt frame in footage, either one frame at start or somewhere mid way.

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

kgv5

@g3gg0

(EDIT) Build from 31-01-2014 didnt fix the issue.

But I think have found something more about this, 1920x1080 in fact seems ok, i set higher resolution by mistake.

It constantly hangs with these resolution settings and sound recording ON (at least i tested those) : 2560x1320, 2240x1320, 2880x1080 (seems that FPS doesnt matter)
Tried couple times more, also with my second CF card - sandisk extreme pro 32GB 90mb/s UDMA7 - the same issue.

So please try this, i wonder if you will be able to replicate the bug.

These resolutions are not very usable anyway (very short recording) so it is not really a huge issue and it is not so urgent. It is worth solving though because it could make somebody miss the important take (like I did :( )

Here are new logs from snd and mlv:

snd next attepmpt:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjfc342ge9xv1st/mlv_snd%20v2.txt

mlv_rec:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8scx3gmy214cjl2/raw_rec%20v2.txt

One more thing:

When i am using all above setting and set global draw OFF (while recording) it doesnt comes back automatically after stopping recording but i assume it should. It does comes back when i press canon menu button (canon menu ON and than OFF). Could you please take a loot at this?

Thank you, cheers

kgv5

g3gg0

it seems you use an older version of mlv_rec.
can you download the latest nightly or this one and post the log?

kgv5

g3gg0, I was using latest build : 31-01-2014

Despite of that i updated mlv_rec with the one from the link you provided.

Seems that there is no change :(

Logs:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rkkkleltt0035ui/mlv_snd%20v3.txt
https://www.dropbox.com/s/voavblu55fdrq9p/raw_rec%20v3.txt

1%

It could be the DMA flags doing this too if its only certain resolutions.

tonybeccar

Anyone can tell me how to access the bytes of the file header? I'm in VB, but the only readable string I get is "MLVI v2.0" which is the title of the header, after that, the remaining bytes of the header are strange symbols. How can I translate them into their actual values? I'm a rookie programmer who's developing the MLV converter for windows,

thanks!!!

Canon eos m

Hi g3gg0, sorry for being such a noob: A few questions:

1. On the first page of this discussion you have mentioned "grab HERE the pre-built ones. (including autoexec.bin for 5D3)
use it on your own risk. this file includes mlv_dump binaries for WINDOWS, LINUX and OSX".
Is this still valid? I have downloaded the Feb 1 build on my 5D3. If it is valid, could you please indicated whether only the sound moudules have to be copied or even the .sym and .bin files from the modules on the first page?

2. From your notes (changelog), could you please help me with understanding:

9157: ETTR: If CONFIG_RAW_LVIEVIEW is not defined, do not allow ETTR in LV
9156: Make sure no raw LV feature can be used unless CONFIG_RAW_LVIEVIEW is defined.
9153: Make ML compile again
Use commit 18dc1fb
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

andy kh

tested today's nightly build. there are pink frames so i switched back to 21 jan 14 nightly build
5D Mark III - 70D

ted ramasola

Quote from: andy kh on February 02, 2014, 04:51:25 AM
tested today's nightly build. there are pink frames so i switched back to 21 jan 14 nightly build

if you use those builds you cant record more than 10 minutes. Use jan 6th as it will record continuously. jan 30th is also ok.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

Jan 31 Tragic Lantern for 7D test.

Constants: Buffer-2 / Stills Raw-none, Jpg-L /MLV Raw+SND

1. Capacity test No HDMI /GD-on = Fills up 64 gig CF/continuous ok.
BUT contains pink/corrupt frames/ some totally black frames.
2. When HDMI monitor is connected = Pink/corrupted frames appear at random on each clip.
3. Movie Restart "Bug". when this is ON in MLV mode, upon stopping of raw recording H264 record starts. (suggest a fix like in 5D2 that it wont have this behavior)
4. it must be stressed either as a tool tip in menu that with stills set to RAW, continuous record not possible(only 4gig at most times or 28gig depending on buffer method)
5.FPS at 1fps and 0.5 fps NOW WORKS no more repeating frozen frame.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

reddeercity

Installed the nightly Build MLV from Feb.2nd on 5D2,
A great improvement !, got 18,887 frame about 55GB.
At 1856x928 23.976p + Audio, Hacked preview, fps over ride on & I change the picture quality
in the canon menu to small raw instead of small jpeg, buffer 1,GD off, on Lexar 64GB 1000x
Then had a frame skip, but that when things when wrong.
It give kept recording , press the start/stop button it just starts a new file ,had to power off.
I also check with a short clip of about 1000 frame some thing press stop just starts a new file.
There is no way of turning it off unless you power down.
The problem is from the H264 movie auto restart, turn that off and there is no problem.
With the 55GB file a check with MLV Browser Sharp, and had a error, flash red on the clip.
error was "8 frame missing MLV ID" did play ok.
Also at 1872x936 23.976p I got 38GB about 13,000 frames buffer 1, hack preview.
In Crop mode 1920x872 23.976p 38 GB.