Noisy & Flat RAW footage in Premiere CS6 vs Normal RAW footage in AE cs6

Started by moroz, July 10, 2013, 10:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moroz

Hello,
i recorded some RAW footage on  my 5D2 ,converted them to DNG and imported them in Adobe Premiere and After effects CS6 via Ginger
i was surprised to see that the playback resolution in premiere is flat and very noisy  whereas in After effects the footage remain very clean
any idea why ?
does premiere deteriorate the footage or is it just the quality of the playback ?
the 1st  screenshot is Premiere and the 2nd After effect (playback resolution is FULL for both PR and AE)

Thanks for your help

mvejerslev

You only see less noise in AE because the footage is darker / has a stronger curve profile. Looks the same to me. Problem is, there is no exif in the DNGs, so camera raw has problems removing the noise.
5D Mark II, PC

Markus

Ginger uses a simplified debayer in halfres to enable realtime playback. Maybe this explains the difference.  Also if you want to work in 32bit  depth in premiere you have to enable maximum bit depth and render at maximum bit depth for that sequence and then only use 32bit effects in that timeline. You can also use accelerated effects if you have a mercury playback enabled card because mercury accelerated effects work in 32bit.

iaremrsir

Quote from: moroz on July 10, 2013, 10:32:09 PM
Hello,
i recorded some RAW footage on  my 5D2 ,converted them to DNG and imported them in Adobe Premiere and After effects CS6 via Ginger
i was surprised to see that the playback resolution in premiere is flat and very noisy  whereas in After effects the footage remain very clean
any idea why ?
does premiere deteriorate the footage or is it just the quality of the playback ?
Thanks for your help

Unless you import .gnr files into AE, AE will use Adobe Camera Raw to decode DNG files. Therefore, all of the post processing ACR does will be applied in AE. Premiere doesn't use ACR, so you will not see the ACR effects in Premiere.