5dmkiii RAW video uncompressed HDMI out? Doc filmmaker questions...

Started by jpkeenan24, July 14, 2013, 10:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpkeenan24

Hey guys, I've been trying to combine searches for uncompressed HDMI out and RAW video for the mkiii but I can't seem to find definite information. I thought because Canon just released clean uncompressed HDMI out, the new RAW ML would be able output uncompressed HDMI too.

Basically I'm a documentary filmmaker and looking to upgrade to the 5dmkiii because of this new RAW ability (was looking at the f3/red). I have a few unresolved concerns before I purchase:

The file sizes and expensive Komputer 64gb cards only hold avg. 20 minutes of footage, correct? This probably isn't smart for a documentary filmmaker who shoots sometimes over an hour of footage in a day. (Not including interviews!) But I would need an insane amount of storage to keep all that wouldn't I? Would the best solution really be to buy six 64gb cards to keep swapping out if I'm on a shoot? (I'm in the field and moving so I don't have the luxury of offloading this footage mid shoot)

I was thinking...a solution could be to get a Atomos Ninja 2 to record onto but I wasn't sure if RAW video ML firmware is able to record uncompressed RAW video through HDMI. Is it?

Thanks guys for all your help. I'm just curious if this RAW ML firmware is really that helpful for documentary filmmaking and if it's worth it to upgrade from my mkii to mkiii or if I should just purchase the c100 and not worry about all this?

Cheers!

-JP

aaphotog

Raw can not be recorded through the hdmi, only the cards.
What I would recommend is either, taking a laptop with you(to dump the footage when you swap cards), or one of the field hard drives.
The hard drives are about as big as a H4n recorder I believe and they allow you to insert your memory card and it copies all of the data to the hard drive. These are small, compact, and seem to be useful. I've never used one, but I've heard good things!

jpkeenan24

But would you still recommend RAW video and the 5d Mark III for documentary work too?

aaphotog

Quote from: jpkeenan24 on July 15, 2013, 01:25:04 AM
But would you still recommend RAW video and the 5d Mark III for documentary work too?
Depends, do you NEED it?

Redrocks

If you can handle recording sound seperately, go for it. Rent or borrow one and see if it works for you.

jpkeenan24

Quote from: aaphotog on July 15, 2013, 02:13:00 AM
Depends, do you NEED it?

Well I'm basically debating between the Mark III or springing for a used s-log F3. If the footage is pretty much the same then I'll deal with the workarounds for the mkiii but if the F3 s-log footage is noticeably better then I'll spend the extra because the better picture quality and all the added functionality with shooting (xlr, hdmi out, ergonomics, etc) Would you rate the RAW as holding up to an s-log F3?

lagunak47

Quote from: jpkeenan24 on July 15, 2013, 07:18:06 AM
Well I'm basically debating between the Mark III or springing for a used s-log F3. If the footage is pretty much the same then I'll deal with the workarounds for the mkiii but if the F3 s-log footage is noticeably better then I'll spend the extra because the better picture quality and all the added functionality with shooting (xlr, hdmi out, ergonomics, etc) Would you rate the RAW as holding up to an s-log F3?

F3 with slog definitely has more dynamic range and resolves more detail, plus you can use real (pl mount) lenses. And you could always pay for the camera by renting it out. the mark iii is $3500 plus all the money you'll spend on giant cf cards (5min per 32gb) plus the hard drives. If I could afford it I'd rather just buy a used F3 and have a real cinema camera, the raw out of the canons is amazing but there's a reason canon didn't enable it themselves and saved it for a camera more capable of handling it....