Best Method Of to "Upres" 5D MKII Footage to 1920x1080

Started by elevatevisuals, July 12, 2013, 01:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elevatevisuals

I know the magic lantern RAW hack can allow the 5D MKII to get some very usable raw footage and get somewhat close to usable full HD...and i keep seeing people mention "just upres the footage to 1080..."

How exactly is the best method to do this, assuming you were recording at a lower resolution on the 5D MKII in ML RAW video mode?

Im using FCPX if that matters, im just a little unclear how this doesn't degrade the image quality to the point its not worth it...?

gnarr

Canon already does some scaling when converting to h264 in camera. I can't remember exactly how, but if I remember correctly the downscale it from 1880 to a little lower resolution and then upscale it to 1920. Probably to do some kind of crappy demoiré. So by only doing 1880 -> 1920 convertion, you are already way ahead of the h264 video.
You also don't want the video to be aldready squashed and stretched before doing post production. With the raw video you can do all kinds of things to squees every bit of resolution out of the video.

And of course the biggest point. You have 14 bit color space and 4:4:4 chroma subsampling instead of 8 bits and 4:2:0 in the h264 compressed video.

haapiti99

kgv5

Yes, i made some tests and seems that instant HD is a very good solution - it retains more details than simple stretching in AE.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

xNiNELiVES

iunknown