cropmarks for RAW shooting

Started by tomvhiker, July 13, 2013, 02:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomvhiker

Hi Everyone-

I have been experimenting with RAW video on 5DmkII and was wondering how the rest of you were composing your shots given the varying resolution sizes being thrown around and the camera cropping that naturally comes with those sizes.  Has anyone created custom cropmarks specifically for the common RAW aspect ratios?  Seems like it would be very helpful in composing shots accurately, but perhaps I am missing something...

CoresNZ

for anything shot full frame, The liveview usually displays a white recangle showing the recorded area, Unless you dissable overlays in the ML display menu that is.

For crop/zoom mode shooting I've created a custom cropmarks .bmp which masks out the center 4:3 area in the live view so that i can frame my shots prior to recording. This is only really usefull for locked off shots as you still only see the magnified crop on screen durring recording.

You can easily do this for any custom crop resolution you might be using. I Just made an indexed colour image like the existing crops in the magic lantern data, With an image size of 5760 × 3840 (full resolution of the 5dmk3 sensor) then created a rectangle the pixel dimensions of my desired cropmode record resolution and filled it with the transparent colour. Resize it to 720x480 and save as a new bmp in the ML cropmks folder.

tomvhiker

Thank you for your help!  The overlay display setting must be my issue...I knew I was missing something obvious as all of these people posting incredible RAW footage couldn't be just guessing at what's being recorded!

I don't have photoshop...is that the software you used to create your cropmarks?

Tom

CoresNZ

Yeah i used photoshop but you should be able to modify the cropmarks .bmps with almost any image editing package.

Here's a link to the one i've made

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7QbtsM_uQoJS3JjSHhfMjNyUTQ/edit?usp=sharing

The centre rectangle represents the recorded 1728 x 1288 cropped from the middle of the sensor. i shoot anamorphic so its a 4:3 aspect ratio. Change it to what ever size you want to shoot in crop mode and it should serve as a pretty good guide for framing your shots.. albeit a tiny thumbnail size..

This is the best way i can think to do it unless i'm missing a preview function for crop mode? maybe others have ideas!?

btw. you can turn it on or off (at least on the 5dmk3) by cycling through the info display button to clear all the overlays.