Previous topic - Next topic

Sthirasukha

I tested 3 time the same Raw footage to Prores 422HQ with
1- AE (with ACR)
2- NukeX (with J_Ops_2.0v1)
3- Resolve 9 Lite
Result of render time:
40 min AE 
18 min NukeX (works the same with DNG or CinemaDNG)
2 min Resolve 9
I know quite well ACR (so I used quite a lot corrections), a bit less Nuke (I didn't use any any chromatic aberration) and I don't know much about Resolve for the moment and I didn't use (and see) any chromatic aberration or any recovery exposure (for the high lights for example) but used Black Magic LUT with some other few color correction.

I have to go deeper to the investigation because as you see, it might depend on the raw settings.

lokki19

Quote from: Sthirasukha on July 17, 2013, 08:24:53 AM
I tested 3 time the same Raw footage to Prores 422HQ with
1- AE (with ACR)
2- NukeX (with J_Ops_2.0v1)
3- Resolve 9 Lite
Result of render time:
40 min AE 
18 min NukeX (works the same with DNG or CinemaDNG)
2 min Resolve 9
I know quite well ACR (so I used quite a lot corrections), a bit less Nuke (I didn't use any any chromatic aberration) and I don't know much about Resolve for the moment and I didn't use (and see) any chromatic aberration or any recovery exposure (for the high lights for example) but used Black Magic LUT with some other few color correction.

I have to go deeper to the investigation because as you see, it might depend on the raw settings.

Take your AE project and dump it in Media Encoder to render out your ProRes, cuts the time in half if not more.

div4o

advance I must admit that I do myself extremely difficult with the workflow for RAW edit. This is partly due to the lack of experience with raw footage and probably also the missunderstanding of it: (So have some leniency for the suggestions and the video here :)))

with the attempt, I had three aims:

1 find a workflow that goes directly and only with the DNG from the cam and consumed as minimal space.
2 a workflow that is not tied to Resolve
3 a workflow that I can do the edit in PP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_hTkf06Jlw

Workflow 01:
ML RAW - DNG - Lightroom - After Effects - (premiere - no proxy)

If you are familiar with Lightroom, you can very quickly create some excellent look here. The nice thing, with a click, the metadata are stored and you can add the material already in AE and edit Premiere or give further.

Advantage: fast and space-saving
Disadvantage: it is the reverse "normal workflow," because it's almost pointless to make color correction and color grading, without having it created a Raw cut.

Workflow 02:
ML RAW - DNG - After Effects (premiere - no proxy)

It is a step less than the above but in the end the same work and is more like a video workflow.

Advantage: a little faster
Disadvantage: the adobe dynamic link is useless here, because Premiere can not deal with the DNGs
Edit: You can leave the After Effects composition in 8bit. so the direct link will work again but for me it makes no sense to film 14-bit RAW and then edit into an 8-bit space.

Workflow 03 (optional):
ML RAW - DNG - Resolve - Proxies - Premiere - XML - Resolve

Actually, the best workflow of all. This will work out pretty well, but you have to really know what you're doing here.

Advantage: it is the "right" way...
Disadvantages: ... but only if you can

if you have any suggestions, bring it on

Redrocks

Quote from: div4o on July 19, 2013, 09:49:27 AM

Workflow 03 (optional):

Actually, the best workflow of all. The will work out pretty well, but you have to really know what you're doing here.

Advantage: it is the "right" way...
Disadvantages: ... but only if you can

Pretty much the method  I prefer, but yes Resolve is a minefield. Colour Grading Central and AETUTS have lots of tutorials.

div4o

Quote from: Redrocks on July 19, 2013, 11:27:48 AM
Pretty much the method  I prefer, but yes Resolve is a minefield. Colour Grading Central and AETUTS have lots of tutorials.
treu and thx for the two tips :)

mdfaisal

Quote from: div4o on July 19, 2013, 09:49:27 AM

Workflow 03 (optional):

I hope theres a video tutorial for this workflow ::)

MortenSJ

reddeercity

Hi all  :)
looking to to get you DNG's to ProRes or DNxHD Quickly

I came a cross a transcoder,from DNG's & or Cinema DNG
on Windows Platform, called "CINEMARTIN CINEC"
links >http://www.cinemartin.com/cinec/#versions
you can take you dng's in & convert to ProRes 4444, DNxHD, convert colormatix (space) etc... on the pc  ;D
But you need the gold version to do this  :(  (399.00 EU dollars)
Bright side ;D there have a 35 Day free trial download unrestricted.

there is also a free Version that i use for h264 to ProRes on the PC  ;D