Monitoring on tablets

Started by aaphotog, July 12, 2013, 02:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaphotog

Does anyone own an android tablet that allows you to hook up your canon and view the cameras Live view on the tablets display?
If so, how are you hooking it up? Usb or HDMI?
Is it easy and clear to focus
Also, what is the lag time?
Last, if you are using Magic Lantern on your camera, how is it looking on the tablet?

I'm thinking about buying something like this
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Galaxy+Tab+2+7.0+with+8GB+Memory+-+Titanium+Silver/5064393.p?id=1218604366681&skuId=5064393

Do you think it will work good?
By the way, this will be used for video, not photos so it's got to be pretty smooth with preferably no lag time to get a good focus on moving people

dsManning

I own a Nexus 7 which I hook up to my 50D.
Hook up over USB
Using the app DSLR Controller you have full control over all Canon functions.  Focus, ISO, Shutter, Focus, etc.
Usually outputs around 15fps which is pretty reasonable for video review on set.
Using this app, it does not show any of the Magic Lantern functions. However, it does have a few of its own. Bracketing, Timelapse, etc.

The Glaxay Tab 2 should work for you.

Be warned though, if you plan on shooting RAW video, you will get no video output over USB with RAW enabled.  I tested this in the 50D dev thread for RAW video, and as of now there is no workaround.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg56411#msg56411

kgv5

6D gives an ability to make a monitoring wirelessly (wifi) via canon's EOS remote free app. Despite it gives around 15fps it works great during raw recording. What's interesting it doesn't work when you want to record h264.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

aaphotog

I was contemplating buying a monitor for focus or whatnot. I was thinking small hd.
Instea of doing that, I thought I'd try the cheap way out first. So, I went to my nearest electronic store and picked up a Nexus 7 16GB for $169.99
Then I searched for HOURS to find a micro USB to female USB A OTG plug to hook my camera up to this thing. In the entire Chicago are there was ONE store that had this item which was Frys. The cord cost me $6
Then I went and bought the DSLR Controller app. I believe it was $8. I hooked my camera up and I've got Live view!!!
Now, I was quite skeptical because these controllers are usually VERY sluggis(think eos software that comes with camera) but this tablet shows the image damn near instantaneous very smooth it's unbelievable. I bought this anticipating taking it back for not working how I hoped it would. Now I guess I'm out of my money because I'm keeping it. So, for those wanting a monitor for focus and just an all around bigger view(7") this entire setup only cost me $184(really $214 after taxes)
I have TWO issues.
1) it doesn't work with my iPad. Idiot Apple smh. Would have saved me $200
2) while recording in crop mode(raw video) the image that ML shows me(the hacked one in black in white for the correct field of view) shows up in normale color on the tab(not a bad thing) BUT its waaaaay to the side. What I see on the cam and on tab(in crop mode) are two different things.
Any ideas on how I might be able to over come this anyone?

If anyone is curious. I'm using a 5D3. I'm soooooo glad I didn't just dish out the money to smallHD
I sound like a commercial but I promise, neither of these products are mine(except for the ones that I just paid for)

aaphotog

I'm in the parking lot of Frys right now so I literally just got this going but had to write about it. I'll do a more thorough testing when I get home. I do hope that focus peak and everything else works.

aaphotog

Quote from: dsManning on July 13, 2013, 01:50:43 AM
I own a Nexus 7 which I hook up to my 50D.
Hook up over USB
Using the app DSLR Controller you have full control over all Canon functions.  Focus, ISO, Shutter, Focus, etc.
Usually outputs around 15fps which is pretty reasonable for video review on set.
Using this app, it does not show any of the Magic Lantern functions. However, it does have a few of its own. Bracketing, Timelapse, etc.

The Glaxay Tab 2 should work for you.

Be warned though, if you plan on shooting RAW video, you will get no video output over USB with RAW enabled.  I tested this in the 50D dev thread for RAW video, and as of now there is no workaround.

I LOVE THIS TABLET NOW!!!
I'm able to record with Raw WHILE viewing on the tablet and its not even having an effect on my write speed. Maybe it's because I have a 5D3. Maybe the 50d is your problem?

eyeland

Quote from: aaphotog on July 13, 2013, 05:13:18 AM
I'm able to record with Raw WHILE viewing on the tablet and its not even having an effect on my write speed.
Care to share your settings, ML build and android version?
For me, it works on and off, when recording, sometimes DSLRcontroller freezes, sometime my camera locks up in ways I had never seen before :(
Btw, I am on the early Juli build from Lourenco and Android 4.3 on Nexus 7 via a cheap OTG cable from ebay.
I'd really love for this to work, the focus peaking on the DSLRcontroller app is amazing!
Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...

guentergunter

Someone already tested this on the 5D2?
5D2 ML RAW + VAF-5D2b: http://vimeo.com/69350650

dsManning

Don't think so.  Been looking for a tester for awhile.

scrizz

Awesome, now I just need to get my camera.  ;D
xD

Africashot

Quote from: guentergunter on August 08, 2013, 12:05:17 AM
Someone already tested this on the 5D2?
Will be testing this on 5D2 as from the 21st, hopefully!
ML 5D2 & T3i

guentergunter

After days and hours of research I gave up. There's simply no info about monitoring raw video on a 5D2 via USB/Android.

So, I bought a Nexus 7 and tried it out. The result: I does not work!

I used the DSRL Controller app by chainfire for Android.
Well everything works really fine, even recoding movies in H.264.
But as soon as you activate RAW-Video from canon menu (just loading the module has no effect) the liveview on Android remains to the last frame and doesn't update until RAW-video is disabled again.
As far as I can see, it's just the image-preview - since the buttons an the Android app are still working with raw activated.

In addition: I can still record raw video with android connected (monitoring on the 5D's screen) - but the write speed is about 20MB/s less (which can be avoided using small hacks, by the way).

Summary: Activating RAW-Video stopps the liveview to update on the Android device, altough all buttons are still working.

This same issue is already reported for 50D and 40D:

a1ex

Just curious: when you disable raw video, does the image appear again?

guentergunter

Yes, even without unplugging the device.

When I deactivate RAW video, the display output on Android immediately continues updating.
To me it seems, like the cam completely maintains the connection (due to less writing speed), but just doesn't output video to the USB while RAW is active.

By the way: while canon or ml menu is open it also stops.

Here's a little video, just to show:

I tried latest stock nightly, as well as latest a.d.'s build. Both with and without Small Hacks activated.
Also I tried with and without HDMI monitor.
→ 8 combinations altogether
The exact same happens in all combinations.

Is there anything else, any setting or combination I should test?

May there be any possibility to solve that problem?
Using this Android combination has some nice advantages. Like Peaking outside the cam, using Android as monitor together with internal display or HDMI.

dsManning

Thank you for testing. Now we know that the 5Diii has something the 5Dii and 50D does not have that enables RAW video output. All the same results on the 50D. Sudden stop/start of video on tablet as soon as RAW module is toggled. All buttons still work.

Danne

I got this to work on my 5d mark 3 and a samsung galaxy s2lte.  I use the dslrcontroller app. It,s not 100% stable and I got a few error 70 crashes wich created some logs. I get around 1500 frames in 1920x1080 24fps. I drop about 8-10 mb in speed due to connection with usb but its good enough for viewing and so on. I even get audio metering, I only get a frozen image when in crop mode.
//D

Africashot

WHat a shame, I really had very high hopes to use this on the 5D2 for peaking focus during raw recording, are there any chances there might be a workaround? Still blown away by the fact that dual ISO is working!
ML 5D2 & T3i

guentergunter

Quote from: dsManning on August 10, 2013, 02:02:16 AM
Thank you for testing. Now we know that the 5Diii has something the 5Dii and 50D does not have that enables RAW video output. All the same results on the 50D. Sudden stop/start of video on tablet as soon as RAW module is toggled. All buttons still work.
Maybe it's just enabled/disabled by luck so far - since no one seemed to look at this thoroughly, yet.

Quote from: Africashot on August 10, 2013, 07:53:25 AM
WHat a shame, I really had very high hopes to use this on the 5D2 for peaking focus during raw recording, are there any chances there might be a workaround?
I still have very high hopes. At least no one said it's impossible.
To me it looks just like an overlooked setting, which can be fixed!

What do you mean by workaround?

tronics

Hmm, I know that the EOS Live is quite slow I have tested it with Canon 5d mkII mkIII
Probably it is 10fps. But is in no way a evf or something.
Better is a HDMI streaming usb stick from Blackmagic with a Windows 8 tablet.

I tried the Note with the Android app and a special cable and it lagged similarily.
However I wonder about the new Nexus 7. Probably it is the same but it hads the capability to give us more fps.

guentergunter

Quote from: tronics on August 11, 2013, 05:08:11 PM
Hmm, I know that the EOS Live is quite slow I have tested it with Canon 5d mkII mkIII
Probably it is 10fps. But is in no way a evf or something.
Better is a HDMI streaming usb stick from Blackmagic with a Windows 8 tablet.

I tried the Note with the Android app and a special cable and it lagged similarily.
However I wonder about the new Nexus 7. Probably it is the same but it hads the capability to give us more fps.
I used the DSLR Controller by Chainfire for monitoring. Within the app, you can set fps to 30. And it looks like that.

The only real downside is a lag of around 0.5 seconds (check my test video above).
So, you're right, I wouldn't use it for framing, especially for fast movements.

But, my 5D2 is too slow for computing peaking while recording raw. This needs to be done outside the cam.
There are two possibilities: Android or an external HD monitor with peaking.

When I compare these two, I prefer Android for two reasons:
- It's much cheaper than a comparable field monitor with internal peaking (a used Nexus 7 costs around 100$ at eBay vs. 350$ for a appropriate monitor)
- Since the android device is connected to USB, the internal monitor is still active (so is HDMI) and can be used for framing (no second monitor needed, since internal display is still active!).

I would use this setup for e.g. SteadyCam shots: Framing with internal display (or a cheap SD HDMI monitor) and remote focus pulling from behind by someone else with the Android app and an electronic follow focus.

I hope that it's possible at all and that the effort to make it possible is low enough, so that someone cares beside all the other great developments like e.g. Dual ISO ;)
At least it's an option for everyone else than 5D3 owners (which is, to my knowledge, the only cam with the abbility to use USB combined with raw video).

aaphotog

Quote from: guentergunter on August 09, 2013, 11:40:04 PM
Yes, even without unplugging the device.

When I deactivate RAW video, the display output on Android immediately continues updating.
To me it seems, like the cam completely maintains the connection (due to less writing speed), but just doesn't output video to the USB while RAW is active.

By the way: while canon or ml menu is open it also stops.

Here's a little video, just to show:

I tried latest stock nightly, as well as latest a.d.'s build. Both with and without Small Hacks activated.
Also I tried with and without HDMI monitor.
→ 8 combinations altogether
The exact same happens in all combinations.

Is there anything else, any setting or combination I should test?

May there be any possibility to solve that problem?
Using this Android combination has some nice advantages. Like Peaking outside the cam, using Android as monitor together with internal display or HDMI.
My setup doesn't do that. And your lag, is MUCH slower than mine.
Edit: just noticed you're on a 5d2. I'm working with the mark iii

guentergunter

Quote from: aaphotog on August 12, 2013, 09:23:02 AM
My setup doesn't do that. And your lag, is MUCH slower than mine.
Edit: just noticed you're on a 5d2. I'm working with the mark iii
The lag is something I can cope with easily - as long as there is some picture at all.

And since I'm a student, the 5D3 is actually out of my financial reach.

Midphase

So a tablet connected to the USB port is better or worse than an external monitor hooked up t the HDMI out? Can you use it for focusing? Will it provide you with false color, zebras and focus peaking?

Considering that a 7" Lilliput monitor can be had for about $250, is the Nexus worth it as an option?

Danne

I get quite a good view on my samsung galaxy s2lte. It,s not super reliable and it,s working with 24fps, barely. dslr controller has focus peaking, I don,t know about other stuff. Didn,t try with a hdmi monitor, probably more reliable, but if you have a phone lying around this solution is very nice.
I also use with real estate photography which makes this app totally worth the buy. No more crawling around on the floor ;).

guentergunter

Quote from: Midphase on August 13, 2013, 09:14:57 AM
So a tablet connected to the USB port is better or worse than an external monitor hooked up t the HDMI out? Can you use it for focusing? Will it provide you with false color, zebras and focus peaking?

Considering that a 7" Lilliput monitor can be had for about $250, is the Nexus worth it as an option?
Zebras and false color are pretty useless on both options (when you record RAW), since they are not computed on raw sensor data (as it's done inside the cam by ML). So, only focus peaking makes sense to be used.
I would say the HDMI is more usable, when it comes to lag time.
But the peaking function on the Lilliput is said to be average at the most. It's much better on e.g. a Nexus, due to much more computing capacity and better algorithms. Also: Apps are possibly expandable with new algorithms, zebras, meters and maybe even RAW-support.

When you plug in a HDMI cable, the internal monitor shuts down. So, if you plan to use a monitor for someone else than the cinematographer (e.g. the director somewhere behind), the cam needs to be equipped with another monitor as well.

At this point, it also want to mention that a Lilliput with a big rechargeable battery lasts 4 hours. So, you would need some more batteries and at of course a recharger.
4 hours is what the Nexus lasts out of the box. And batterie extenders for Tablets/Smartphones are pretty cheap and give you up to 3 complete recharges.

So, if lag time at a second monitor is a decisive argument for you, then you'll need HDMI (with probably two monitors, batteries, etc.).
If it doesn't matter, you're going the cheaper way with even better peaking.
___

BUT: Yet, only the 5D3 supports USB output with RAW video enabled. And I didn't find anything about whether it's possible on other ML-cams or not.
In other words: Is it accessible by software or is it a hardware limitation?

Quote from: a1ex on August 09, 2013, 06:08:51 PM
Just curious: when you disable raw video, does the image appear again?
a1ex: Did you ask with a possible solution in mind? ;)

Thanks for your time! I hope there is a way...