EOS 50d H264 frame rates!

Started by Asiertxu, July 11, 2013, 12:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asiertxu

Hello there!
I´m totaly new with Canon as I´ve recently picked up a second hand ESO 50D wich is superb!!
Yesterday I installed Magic lanter 2.3 (on 1.0.9 firmware...) so made my first tests with it, specially in video recording H264.
I see lots of adjustments in this chapter (an in the others ofcourse! :)...) and tryed to record in 25p 1080p by using Frame Rate override but when analizing the final recorded files, they seem to stay at 30p!
Is there a way to change this parameter correctly (24p, 25p etc) when we use H264 recording?
Sorry if this question was made before!
Cheers an THANKS all Developers, Testes etc that made possible this AMMAZING tool!! :)  8)
Asier.

xNiNELiVES

I believe you have to be in crop mode for 30,50,60p. But that's with the 5D3. There's a guide here (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5472.0) on it but again it's only for the 5D3. I believe it's not currently possible for the 50d.

On the side note I must say your spelling is horrible. I'm not trying to persecute you, just saying. It can be obstructive to giving you help.

Andy600

@xNiNELiVES - everything you wrote is completely irrelevant to the question asked ::)

@Asiertxu - Try conforming your footage to 25p in your NLE. The original .mov file will say 30p because the metadata is incorrect (I don't think it takes FPS override into account yet). I just double checked by recording my phone screen with a running timecode (recorded at extact 25p FPS Override) then found the 00:00:00 mark in the video and burned-in a timecode in Resolve. It comes out perfectly at 25p without any glitches. Hopefully this 'bug' will be fixed.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Andy600 on July 11, 2013, 02:06:06 PM
@xNiNELiVES - everything you wrote is completely irrelevant to the question asked ::)

@Asiertxu - Try conforming your footage to 25p in your NLE. The original .mov file will say 30p because the metadata is incorrect (I don't think it takes FPS override into account yet). I just double checked by recording my phone screen with a running timecode (recorded at extact 25p FPS Override) then found the 00:00:00 mark in the video and burned-in a timecode in Resolve. It comes out perfectly at 25p without any glitches. Hopefully this 'bug' will be fixed.

Oh, I guess I interpreted what he was saying wrong, my bad. Out of curiosity where are you located, it's 5am here in california I'm surprised someone is here on the forums.

Andy600

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on July 11, 2013, 02:14:01 PM
Oh, I guess I interpreted what he was saying wrong, my bad. Out of curiosity where are you located, it's 5am here in california I'm surprised someone is here on the forums.

It's mid-afternoon here in Latvia
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Luzestudio

I can confirm that fps override works, but the metada is wrong as@Andy600 said.
I made a video with a 600D and a 50D last friday, both of them at 23,976 fps and they mixed perfectly well.

-----
www.luzestudio.es

xNiNELiVES

Andy600

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on July 11, 2013, 03:21:44 PM
Wow latvia! Pretty crazy.

Yeah, although I wouldn't mind some Cali weather ATM  ;D

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Andy600 on July 11, 2013, 03:27:36 PM
Yeah, although I wouldn't mind some Cali weather ATM  ;D

It's in the low 90s (Fahrenheit) the entire week, so far the hottest it's been this summer over here is 110. Why is it cold there or something?

1%

To fix the meta data would require finding where fps is written. It only has the settings it has in the canon menu and if you try different ones you get crashes.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on July 11, 2013, 06:56:49 PM
To fix the meta data would require finding where fps is written. It only has the settings it has in the canon menu and if you try different ones you get crashes.

Is that also why movie logging isn't working?

1%

No, have to check on whats up with that.

Asiertxu

Hi all fellows!!
I know my spelling IS RUSTY as I´m not english speaking person (I´m from Spain) hehehehe....;-) Thanks anyway to correct me though!...
THANKS for the great info I see here!
I´ve been recording with my "girl friend eos 50d "this weekend ;-), in 25p to be exact  (FPS override adjusted for exact 25fps).
I tryed to conform them in Vegas pro 10 (windows XP) to 25p by reducing the speed of the clips to get these 25 fps I wanted but the program says 24,990 FPS by reducing the clips to 0,83333.
That´s the nearest I can conform my clips to in Vegas, not exactly 25!.
Is this value still correct (24,990 FPS)?....I´m not sure as I´ve not tryed to synchronize audio in long clips yet to see if something changes or de-synchronizes...
Am I doing this the right way?
Thanks all again for your GREAT effort in converting this FANTASTIC camera in a MONSTER!! =)
Oh! Sorry for my bad english!
Cheers...
Asier.

Asiertxu

QuoteI can confirm that fps override works, but the metada is wrong as@Andy600 said.
I made a video with a 600D and a 50D last friday, both of them at 23,976 fps and they mixed perfectly well.

These are great news Luzestudio.
To confirm that is working the right way for you is a cool thing have in account!! :)
I´ll be doing more tests myself in other frame rates too, such as 24 or 23,976 to see how it works for me.
Cheers.
Asier.

robertgl

how does the x264 achieve 1080p? is it upsampling up from 1584x894?

Asiertxu

To my eyes looks just fine on my 50d!!
I have a GH1(3) that must intercut perfectly with it!
Alisasing/Moire is really low on the 50d too and am surprised by this also.
My sister have a 600d and to my eyes have more aliasing artifacts at full HD 1080p than mine (50d).
Cheers!
Asier.

Chucho

Quote from: 1% on July 11, 2013, 06:56:49 PM

The Stts atom is the atom that stores fps in the QuickTime container. Search for SetSttsAtom and WriteSttsAtom.
https://developer.apple.com/standards/qtff-2001.pdf
http://aptproxy.willowgarage.com/archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/libq/libquicktime/libquicktime_1.2.4.orig.tar.gz

dromar

Hi,

registered just to post how I worked around this if some other person in the future is struggling with this. This is Mac/Linux only and very ugly.

Guide to batch conversion for 50D files with wrong fps
1. Download and install ffmpeg and mp4box
2. Open a terminal and change into the directory with the .MOV-files.
3. Paste the whole command below and run it. New .mp4-files will be created with the correct fps.

for file in *.MOV; do ffmpeg -i "$file" -codec copy -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb "${file%.*}.h264"; done && for file in *.h264; do mp4box -add  "$file":fps=25 -new "${file%.*}_25fps.mp4"; rm "$file"; done

I take no responsibility and you probably want to try it out on some non critical copies first. Also I cant take any fame for the unpacking with ffmpeg and repacking with the mp4box command, as I got them from some other forum long ago, all I did was make them work for batches.