Problems with duplicate and missing modes on Canon 60D

Started by Unxplained, May 27, 2013, 07:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unxplained

I have a problem with my canon 60D after using DSLR Remote Pro to take a set of images at different exposure levels for HDR. The creative modes like Av and Tv are not available as they have been replaced by duplicate basic modes. Starting from the movie (camcorder symbol) mode and going stepwise to the C mode this is what the camera displays on the INFO. screen. At the CA mode the basic modes are duplicated in reverse order.

On Dial - On Screen = Mode camera thinks it's in
Movie - Movie
Night Portrait - Night Portrait
Sports - Sports
Close-up – Close-up
Landscape - Landscape
Portrait - Portrait
CA - Portrait (This is where things start to go wrong - ie. info screen does no change)
No flash in rectangle - Landscape (INFO. displays mode as Landscape)
Green rectangle - Close-up
P - Sports
Tv - Night Portrait (should say Tv in top left of INFO. screen)
Av - Movie (should say Av in INFO. screen but displays movie settings + viewfinder closed like movie mode)
M – Movie
B - P
C – P (dial now at other extreme and won't rotate any further)

I asked for advice on dpreview.com and there were two suggestions, a faulty mode dial or corrupt data in the internal settings memory.
When googling for similar problems and solutions I came across a number of threads where magic lantern was mentioned and you had been able to run diagnostics and download logs so I thought it was worthwhile asking here as well as you guys clearly have more inside knowledge on how the 60D works internally.

So are any of the settings for the dial modes stored in memory that could become corrupt? Is this a plausible cause of this problem?  I'm guessing that it is a least possible for the C mode which allows you to save your own settings so maybe internally it can be done for any mode? I've reset the "Clear Camera Settings" and "Clear Custom Functions" but that hasn't solved the problem. Is it possible to read this this memory and check it against another 60D? or even better write the correct data back to restore the functions? Is the memory that holds this data powered by the internal battery meaning at worst case the problem (if this is the cause) would be resolved naturally when the internal battery is exhausted? If so anyone does know how long this might take and are there any ways to speed up the power drain?

If all of the mode data is stored in the firmware then it looks like a faulty mode dial which occurred by coincidence at the same point I used DSLR Remote Pro. To check that is it possible to read what the mode dial is reporting it is set to which would confirm that it is faulty? Then I would know what to get quotes for to see if it is worthwhile getting the camera repaired.

If anyone understands what has happened to my camera of has any suggestions on how to fix it please let me know.

zephyr

Hi, I have the same problem. have you manage to fix the issue of yours? I'm thinking going to canon service center.

Francis

PTP interfaces, like DSLR Remote Pro and other software, can write improper settings to your camera. I doubt that the link between this behavior and your use of that software is coincidence. One of the devs might have some suggestions but you might need to send it in for service.