Pomfort ClipHouse

Started by iaremrsir, July 08, 2013, 09:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Bluestone

I would be pleased to test this software. I am on a Mac, and shoot a lot of ML raw footage

EOSHD

I am testing ClipHouse, thanks g3gg0. Here's my feedback:

- "Add clips without copy" won't allow selection of ML raw files, they are greyed out. So even if they are on same disk I have to do them via copy. Drag and drop would be best.

- Purple fringing where highlights meet mids.

- Similar clipped highlight issues as Ginger

- Impressive ProRes transcode speed and responsive playback even with non-standard res material like 2560x1024

- White balance seems incorrect (too cool)

- FPS in metadata panel is always 0 (tried with 50D, 5D Mark III, 30p,24p, full sensor and crop mode)

I think this software shows lots of potential. I would need noise reduction and as close to ACR debayer as possible to consider it in my workflow though. Just a quick method to convert to ProRes with the performance evident in ClipHouse would be extremely attractive.

Last thing: I would consider as smooth a way as possible for people to skip the first Copy screen, as a lot of people prefer to manually copy and organise raw files in OSX's Finder.

Keep up the excellent work!

CaptainOfObvious

Mac user here, I'd like to test it out. Bonus being I'm socially awkward and thus have no personal life, which I think would make me an ideal candidate.

Either way I'm glad software like this is being developed as RAW becomes more and more prevalent. 

electronicwomble

Am on a mac. Would love to test.

Have shot two short films with the ML raw so far.

'Derelict' (https://vimeo.com/68379232) using ACR to color/debayer.

'Pop!' (https://vimeo.com/2vstudios/pop) using Davinci Resolve.

I have several more projects lined up this month and have time to give it a real world test.

gerk.raisen

I'm on Windows 7 64bit or Linux and I will be pleased to beta-test the software too.
Thank you.

iaremrsir

Quote from: gerk.raisen on July 10, 2013, 09:06:58 AM
I'm on Windows 7 64bit or Linux and I will be pleased to beta-test the software too.
Thank you.

I don't think it's been developed for Win or Linux yet. I think it's only on Mac at the moment. I could be wrong though.

senzazn12

Guys I received an email from Pompfort that the BETA of Cliphouse has been released. You need to register your email in order to get the BETA and it works until September 10, 2013. I am at work right now so not sure if the BETA improved upon the Alpha that the ML developers got a hold of. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.

iaremrsir

Quote from: senzazn12 on July 15, 2013, 08:22:22 PM
Guys I received an email from Pompfort that the BETA of Cliphouse has been released. You need to register your email in order to get the BETA and it works until September 10, 2013. I am at work right now so not sure if the BETA improved upon the Alpha that the ML developers got a hold of. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.

Just tried it, not much has changed since Alpha 4.

mclein

Very high potential in my opinion.
Congratulations!
Looks like the missing link in my workflow.
I would suggest however to add a more control for
highlights and shadow separately
and to include the cineform in the export

iaremrsir

Quote from: mclein on July 15, 2013, 10:41:00 PM
include the cineform in the export

Why not just use the Cineform software? They're already developing the raw converter for Mac.

hjfilmspeed

mclein

Quote from: iaremrsir on July 15, 2013, 11:19:54 PM
Why not just use the Cineform software? They're already developing the raw converter for Mac.

Because cineform studio cannot import Magic Lanter RAW directly
and the mac version under mountain lion is quite unstable.
The RAW2cpgf  is great but it's a script.. it does't allow you to control the conversiona parameter too much.. (still have many problem with highlights etc..) and you cannot have thumbnails preview. Danewman it is helping us.. so why not embed the cineform potentiality inside a tool like clip house ..?
would be fantastic.. in other words taking a huge ML RAW, trimming developing and adjusting it having en exported still RAW version 1/10 of the original size and still able to be easily used and graded in NLE ... a dream...

iaremrsir

Quote from: mclein on July 16, 2013, 02:41:28 AM
Because cineform studio cannot import Magic Lanter RAW directly
and the mac version under mountain lion is quite unstable.
The RAW2cpgf  is great but it's a script.. it does't allow you to control the conversiona parameter too much.. (still have many problem with highlights etc..) and you cannot have thumbnails preview. Danewman it is helping us.. so why not embed the cineform potentiality inside a tool like clip house ..?
would be fantastic.. in other words taking a huge ML RAW, trimming developing and adjusting it having en exported still RAW version 1/10 of the original size and still able to be easily used and graded in NLE ... a dream...

raw2gpcf is not a script, it's a shell program. It gives you nearly full control of the conversion parameters, as that's its function (only function missing is Dead Pixel Fix, which is being worked on right now). I haven't had a single problem with highlights or anything. I'm pretty sure raw2gpcf will be added to CF Studio Premium's GUI just like dpx2cf was for DNG raw files. You also didn't specify if you wanted export to CF Raw or CF 444/422. If CF Raw, adding export to ClipHouse would be useless since you wouldn't be debayering the raw footage with ClipHouse. In the package contents of ClipHouse I found a decoder named CFHDDecoder.dylib. So I'm guessing at some point it should be able to decode CF Raw, but that would mean you'd need to have a CF Studio Premium license to make CF Raw files in the first place. If 422, that makes more sense. Most of the problems you're having with the Mac version (I haven't had any thus far) will probably be fixed with CF Studio Premium 2.0.

mclein

Sorry iaremrsir, actually i am not as precise explaining it.
i meant the cineform 422, but anyway i think you are right, a cineform solution giving you the ability to work all the way from ML RAW to CF RAW is the best option in my workflow. I work on CF 422 RAW in fcpx so i need the best proxy clip as possible but i still have problems
with pink or magenta highlight, and to subtract noise from a raw file recorded with the cap on the lens (i try to follow instructions.. maybe i am doing something wrong..)
this is the highlight issue:
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s52/sh/a24125b6-b2e1-4d77-a198-742c065fde9f/7197263f155fae46598a8ad750eebc55
How have you fixed it?

thanks

iaremrsir

Quote from: mclein on July 16, 2013, 11:21:19 AM
Sorry iaremrsir, actually i am not as precise explaining it.
i meant the cineform 422, but anyway i think you are right, a cineform solution giving you the ability to work all the way from ML RAW to CF RAW is the best option in my workflow. I work on CF 422 RAW in fcpx so i need the best proxy clip as possible but i still have problems
with pink or magenta highlight, and to subtract noise from a raw file recorded with the cap on the lens (i try to follow instructions.. maybe i am doing something wrong..)
this is the highlight issue:
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s52/sh/a24125b6-b2e1-4d77-a198-742c065fde9f/7197263f155fae46598a8ad750eebc55
How have you fixed it?

thanks

Let's continue this discussion on the CF thread so we can keep this thread about ClipHouse.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5479.275

hjfilmspeed

Just got an email stating that there will be no windows support for the near future :(

fatpig

well, maybe its time to get a hackintosh ;)

smh_pfn

Hey guys, really cool that many of you already took the chance to test the alpha version of ClipHouse and especially a big thanks for all the feedback! It is true that we have released the beta version on monday! Even though there is indeed not that much difference to the alpha, it would be fantastic if you tested it too! Here is the direct link:

http://pomfort.com/cliphouse/beta.html

We are happy about any feedback we can get, so that we can make the software as cool and efficient as possible! We have also dedicated an own facebook page to ClipHouse, https://www.facebook.com/Pomfort.ClipHouse , where you can discuss it with us directly and also with other users if you like!

Enjoy testing ClipHouse!

hjfilmspeed

I hope maybe in the future we could see a windows version. that would be sooooo awesome!!!!

robertgl

iaremrsir

Has anyone found out how to delete clips yet?

xNiNELiVES

Would like to test, I have a Hackintosh running with a 3570k and a GTX 480.

iaremrsir

Quote from: iaremrsir on July 09, 2013, 01:26:57 AM
It doesn't fix dead pixels, but it looks like it handles FPN pretty well for the samples that I've done so far.

Just tried some other clips with the new beta, and it does not do well with FPN. Still no dead pixel fix or highlight reconstruction.

Midphase

Just wanted to bump this thread up....whatever happened to these guys?

This app seems like the most promising of the bunch, with real-time playback of clips before conversion, and other assorted bells and whistles.

Pricing of their other apps makes me a bit nervous, but I'm hoping they'd release this below the $100 mark which I think would be most in line with what ML users would want to spend.

They also seem well poised to support the new .mlv format.

Anyway, just wondering what is going on with this? Is anyone using it on a regular basis? Why or why not?

iaremrsir