Pomfort ClipHouse

Started by iaremrsir, July 08, 2013, 09:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iaremrsir

I've been following Digital Bolex for a while and they've been working with Pomfort on making a raw development software. Pomfort just announced the beta would be available in seven days. I decided to look on the website today to see if any more details on the software was released. Looks like they've added support for ML raw files directly. So this is turning out to be an interesting software. GPU debayer, floating-point computing, FCP XML export, backup/data management. Just thought it might be interesting to hear feedback on this software.

http://pomfort.com/cliphouse/

g3gg0

i just wanted to post about their software.

4 days ago the devs gave us a link to the alpha4 which is mac only.
as we mostly work with win or linux, we are looking for a handful ML powerusers who want to test their alpha.

just write there and i will pick some and send the DL link
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

aaphotog

senzazn12

Quote from: g3gg0 on July 08, 2013, 09:32:09 PM

as we mostly work with win or linux, we are looking for a handful ML powerusers who want to test their alpha.

I am on a MAC as well. Would love to test it. :D

iaremrsir

You can count me in too. I'm going to be shooting some stuff while camping this week and then I have a music video shoot the week after the next. I'd like to see how CH's debayers stack up against ACR and Resolve.

iaremrsir

According to Joe from Digital Bolex, there is a very good chance that Pomfort will collab with the folks at Rubber Monkey to include s16 mm film stocks from Film Convert in CH.

senzazn12

Quote from: iaremrsir on July 08, 2013, 09:52:05 PM
You can count me in too. I'm going to be shooting some stuff while camping this week and then I have a music video shoot the week after the next. I'd like to see how CH's debayers stack up against ACR and Resolve.

Yeah, I would love to see how the debayer is too in Pomfort. The detail, DR and color I can get in ACR is great but it is hindered by the "exposure flickering" bug in some frames when using highlight, shadow and even exposure sliders. Not to mention the slower workflow. Can't wait to try it Pomfort. I'm stoked. :D

iaremrsir

Quote from: senzazn12 on July 08, 2013, 10:22:20 PM
Yeah, I would love to see how the debayer is too in Pomfort. The detail, DR and color I can get in ACR is great but it is hindered by the "exposure flickering" bug in some frames when using highlight, shadow and even exposure sliders. Not to mention the slower workflow. Can't wait to try it Pomfort. I'm stoked. :D

I'm thinking that Pomfort might be creeping up on Davinci debayer speeds due to le GPU, so if Pomfort gets the debayering and colorimetry on par with ACR, we have ourselves a raw processing powerhouse! Also interested in seeing how it handles aliasing, FPN, random noise, the pink highlight issue, and dead pixels seen in other tools.

senzazn12

Quote from: iaremrsir on July 08, 2013, 10:46:21 PM
I'm thinking that Pomfort might be creeping up on Davinci debayer speeds due to le GPU, so if Pomfort gets the debayering and colorimetry on par with ACR, we have ourselves a raw processing powerhouse! Also interested in seeing how it handles aliasing, FPN, random noise, the pink highlight issue, and dead pixels seen in other tools.

My GPU ain't that great. Hopefully I can get by Pompfort quick enough. ACR is pretty fast for me on my Macbook Air.

Lourens

i'd love to test it out too!  :) On holiday from university (computer engineering) so I have a bunch of time for in depth testing. will put it through it's paces and do some comparisons with resolve and ACR with the mark iii footage i shot over the weekend.

aaphotog

I can't figure out how to change the output quality of the videos that have been colored.
Also, is there any way to actually set your own resolution for the output? I have a file bigger than 1080p

aaphotog

Another thing. One of the settings for export I accidently deleted.
I selected a clip and hit delete since it was going to be exporting somewhere on the hard drive that i didn't want, but when I deleted that export location, it took the pro res 422 option out of the list of available presets???

aaphotog

In order to change the setting for the export clip, you drag one from the list, to the clip where it shows it's current export settings. This isn't clear and I'm not sure if it works for clips that already have a setting, as I've only done it when adding a new location

aaphotog

ISSUE I exported a 'colored' file with the 422 pro res output setting(I believe) the setting was a 1920x1020 setting(which is how I export in after effects)
but the input file that I recorded was 1920x818 2.35:1 aspect ration.
When I viewed the exported file from THIS program, they created the 1080 image, but instead of the picture being in the middle(like AE would do) it put the image on the top.
so I have a huge black area under the photo and no black above the picture. That should be a fix as not all incoming vid, will be 1080 vertical

iaremrsir

Same here for all problems listed by aaphotog

iaremrsir

I don't know if you're having this problem as well aaphotog, but I don't have any context menus for general functions (copy, paste, etc) for moving clips between events or folders. Also, I can't even find a way to delete an event.

iaremrsir

In the viewer we are able to pan/drag the image when zoomed in while pressing option, it would be nice to have the cursor change to a hand or something indicative of the function. Same thing with click and drag in the viewer without modifiers, it zooms but it would be nice to have a magnifying glass when the function activates.

iaremrsir

It also has problems viewing a importing directory with directories full of dng files when choosing "Add clips without copy..."

Though no problem from the Copy room.

iaremrsir

When viewing CinemaDNG it looks corrupted, but the clips clips work fine in other apps.

EDIT: This was resolved by restarting the application.

iaremrsir

It'd be nice to have a list/metadata view of the clips in the Organize room when dealing with large numbers of clips. Is there also an option to create smart folders within an event? So if a group of clips were from the same scene and take, a smart folder is automatically created for it. Or even just creating our own smart folders based on metadata.

iaremrsir

It doesn't fix dead pixels, but it looks like it handles FPN pretty well for the samples that I've done so far.

iaremrsir

I'm also getting inconsistency with the ability to import clips directly from the card. Sometimes it'll let me import, at other times it won't let me.

EDIT: Found out what it was. If there is a corrupt clip on the card, CH will say there are no clips to be transfered from the card. After removing the corrupt clip from the card, CH read the clips fine.

iaremrsir

From what I can see there is also no highlight reconstruction/recovery.

kevperry

I would like to test it.

cessoanhelo

Quote from: g3gg0 on July 08, 2013, 09:32:09 PM

I am on a Mac and would be glad to help test...