5d mk3 RAW flicker/inconsistent exposure

Started by TjS, July 08, 2013, 03:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TjS

Hi folks -

I am not sure if thats a known or common issue - but I shot some RAW footage with 5d mk3 and the latest ML firmware out of an airplane window. 

When applying a grading in Photoshop/Camera Raw (mostly crushing the black level), then exporting all the DNG's as TIF's and importing them into AE - there is something fairly weird happening.

The same thing happens if I import the DNG directly into AE and apply the Camera Raw grading that way.
The only way I can avoid this is to not change any settings in Camera Raw and apply a grading (e.g. levels or curves) in AE.

Does anybody have a solution for this?

Thanks!

Levinson

It's a well known issue with ACR / Lightroom, and any Raw converter that uses "frame by frame" analysis.

There is no known solution yet, and flicker/exposure shift affects all process modes in some way (LR Timelapse plugin does help with Lightroom but it's tedious)

Cheers
5d3, 5d2 & 550d

As Levinson mentioned it looks like an ACR issue. Have a read of this thread http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5710.25

But... If you've made the same dumb error I made, then using auto within ACR will cause the same problem.

TjS

Thanks for the response!

It seems the problem appears whenever I do the slightest change on even just one ACR setting (e.g. changing exposure by 0.1 stop). The only setting that won't cause is changing the whitebalance.
I've not been using any auto settings.

Guess I will have to give RawTherapee a try. Will let you know if that fixes it.

Viktor Devjatov

Try to use NewblueFX ColorFast plugin for Shadow/Highlights or even Adobe's Shadow/Highlight plugin (inside Premiere) they give very close results to what ACR does. Adobe's plugin doesn't flicker anymore in CC btw! For white balance you can use Ginger HDR Color Temperature plugin or Tiffen Dfx Temperature (faster). For anything else (Contast, Saturation, Exposure etc) - Magic Buller Looks suite.

Yeah, and it's quite cool to be able to import RAW files directly to PR and AE using Ginger HDR - this guy is great. If he could do a custom interface just like RED does have in premiere to control all RAW settings it would be just amazing!

mvejerslev

Feel free to contribute to this topic @ Photoshop feature request site: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/camera_raw_flickering_and_raw_video_magic_lantern?rfm=1

>Adobe's plugin doesn't flicker anymore in CC btw

Is this confirmed? If so, no point in above feature request.
5D Mark II, PC

Viktor Devjatov

I mean Adobe's Shadow/Highlight plugin in AE and PR, not Camera RAW.