RAW and h.264 only for synced audio

Started by borpozky, July 08, 2013, 11:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

borpozky

What about recording a h.264 video (beside RAW) with a very low datarate just to get synchronized audio?

I have read somewhere in this forum that it is possible to record RAW and h.264 at the same time.

With no or garbage video, would this not leave enough processing power / datarate for RAW?

In this way, would there not be perfectly synced audio in the h.264 video (which is also synced to the RAW video)?

borpozky

Is this approach wrong? If yes, is there someone, who can confirm this?

CLS105

Yes its wrong.  It's not an eight core computer. Do us all a favor and don't respond.

A lot of people think they have genius ideas that the ML hasn't thought of.

borpozky

Thank you for your open minded and very competent answer.
You are the center of the world and brainstorming is evil.

xNiNELiVES

"You are the center of the world... brainstorming is evil"? Is this guy high or something?

Lol I know, he's just using a translator...

borpozky

It is just very impolite to tell someone, who asks a question, to go away.
I have used ML for several projects and I have donated.

"Yes its wrong.  It's not an eight core computer. Do us all a favor and don't respond.
A lot of people think they have genius ideas that the ML hasn't thought of"

Shows mainly that the replayer does not know anything more than I do.

RAW and h.264 have already been recorded at the same time. This is possible and has nothing to do with an 8-core computer.
So if audio gets out of sync in the h.264-video as well, I stop asking.
If not, you have synced audio with RAW.

DjJuvan

In theory it could be possible to make RAW and h264 at the same time. I did try this in earliest versions, but it hanged after few seconds because it couldn't write to card that fast. If there would be a option to write to both cards (h264 on SD card (on 5dmk3)), than I would believe it would be possible. RAW recording doesn't need any processor power, while h264 video does. But, it's only theory.

Habitat

Don't know why you guys are so damn rude to people.

It actually doesn't sound like a bad idea - I dont know shit about it but I'd rather hear a more constructive answer from the devs than what you guys are saying above. It's a forum - he has the right to ask questions - step off your high horse.

xNiNELiVES

I just don't see the point of recording an unnecessary stream of h264 when all that's wanted is the audio. There have already been advancements to record wav files but apparently it's not working too well yet.

Now recording would partially saturate the write speed of the camera yielding much lower frames. With wav files this would happen also but WAY less. This is obvious because of it's low file size...

It's just, to my current knowledge, not a good idea.

1%

I expect pink frames from the H264 stream and big writing hit. Only advantage over the wav recorder is delayed writing (wav writes constantly) and maybe correct sync, 2nd part needs to be reversed separately. Need to find where the asif gets timing from... default is 25P hence the problem, unless you're in PAL land.