Video in 3.5k raw

Started by friano75, July 07, 2013, 05:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

friano75

I've done some tests in 3.5k raw and I have to say the quality is AMAZING! The image is unbelievable sharp and clean.
Shot at 24fps (override) for 2 seconds (48f) and slowed down in post. Always the 6th frame was broken and the 15th frame overexposed (but only in 3.5k raw).

Please watch the amazing shots in 3.5k :P:

xNiNELiVES

That is the sharpest thing I've ever seen. I'm not even kidding thats red epic shit right there.

Richard Sisk

Wow, that is amazing on my 30" cinema display. Thanks for your tests.

reddeercity

Quote from: friano75 on July 07, 2013, 05:51:12 PM
I've done some tests in 3.5k raw and I have to say the quality is AMAZING! The image is unbelievable sharp and clean.
Shot at 24fps (override) for 2 seconds (48f) and slowed down in post. Always the 6th frame was broken and the 15th frame overexposed (but only in 3.5k raw).

:D
Nice , That's better then Red !

frontloop

tihon

what about rolling shutter?))
Cinema, cinema, cinema

fatpig

just watched on 2.5k monitor, really sharp. the forest scene looks unbelievably detailed. Looking forward to the BM4K ;)

friano75

@tihon

I don't see any rolling shutter. Do you see something?
(The strange effects (grass) are coming from the slow-motion effect from AE)

dadinio13

Danne

Nice. I think you should upload it to youtube though to get full resoution. I,m not sure vimeo will display the full 3,5k resolution?

friano75

Hey that is a great idea dadinio13!

dadinio13

thank ! i will upload it on youtube tonight  :D
but you can download the original prores 444 mov on vimeo...

cessoanhelo

I have been creeping for far too long...I have to start interacting with you nice people.

Here is a RAW 3.5K test, done in Resolve with Hook's LUT and then scaled down to 1080P.

Enjoi

[/youtube]

aaphotog

Quote from: cessoanhelo on July 12, 2013, 06:18:04 AM
I have been creeping for far too long...I have to start interacting with you nice people.

Here is a RAW 3.5K test, done in Resolve with Hook's LUT and then scaled down to 1080P.

Enjoi

[/youtube]
Why shoot 3.5k and scale it down?

cessoanhelo

Quote from: aaphotog on July 12, 2013, 06:34:14 AM
Why shoot 3.5k and scale it down?

Most clients I deal with want a 1080P deliverable and I was curious to see how it would look scaled down.

This is the first time I hit the Resolve Lite 1080P ceiling, it made me sad...

aaphotog

Quote from: cessoanhelo on July 12, 2013, 07:02:09 AM
Most clients I deal with want a 1080P deliverable and I was curious to see how it would look scaled down.

This is the first time I hit the Resolve Lite 1080P ceiling, it made me sad...
Anyway you'd be willing to upload the full file? I'd like to check it out

dariSSight

Quote from: friano75 on July 07, 2013, 05:51:12 PM

I am curious are you shooting in 5x or 10x zoom mode, if so what's the distance from the subject your focusing on in differents of if you shot in 1x mode. For example, most of the time when your filming in 1x mode then you change to 5x or 10x zoom mode that subject you were focusing on in 1x mode you now have zoomed in on, how far do you think you might have to back up to get the shot frame you had in 1x? I hope I'm making since, very important workflow I'm curious on. I plan on finding out for myself this weekend but I also seen your work so thought I would ask.
Canon 5D Mark II

friano75

QuoteI am curious are you shooting in 5x or 10x zoom mode, if so what's the distance from the subject your focusing on in differents of if you shot in 1x mode. For example, most of the time when your filming in 1x mode then you change to 5x or 10x zoom mode that subject you were focusing on in 1x mode you now have zoomed in on, how far do you think you might have to back up to get the shot frame you had in 1x? I hope I'm making since, very important workflow I'm curious on. I plan on finding out for myself this weekend but I also seen your work so thought I would ask.

To set the focus I always zoom in 10x. Then I zoom out to 5x (all scenes) and start recording (you can't record in 10x, more then 1x1 doesn't exist). Simply said the 5x,10x zoom enables crop mode and crop mode means every pixel of a certain area will be recorded and not every second pixel (example) as for non crop mode. the greater the resolution in crop mode the less crop factor you have. So my focal length would be 35mm with nearly 1.6 crop factor. So I have to get closer 1.6 times to the subject, is that possible?

SoulState

I don't have Mark3, can someone test max continuous framerate in 3.5k resolution? Just curious about max fps it can shoot for use in timelapses. Timelapses with ~3-5 fps sometimes very useful...
Does ML have option to record more than 3.5k?

aaphotog

I uploaded a 2.5K video the other day. It allowed it to be viewed with the ''original quality' setting. I went back to it a few hours later and *poof* that setting was gone and now the highest quality that you can select is 1080p.
I noticed that the highest quality on YOUR video that can be selected is 1080p as well.
Does anyone know why youtube removes the original quality option when they were advertising it?
Also, how long do they allow the option to remain before removing it?

Doyle4

Quote from: SoulState on July 13, 2013, 06:11:02 AM
I don't have Mark3, can someone test max continuous framerate in 3.5k resolution? Just curious about max fps it can shoot for use in timelapses. Timelapses with ~3-5 fps sometimes very useful...
Does ML have option to record more than 3.5k?

3.5K is not possible, this is RAW footage upscaled to 3.5k.

EDIT: Just read it's cropped mode, my bad :)

Danne

You can do 3,5k in crop mode, no scaling. I manage to film contnuously in 12fps.

Edit. Just read your edit Doyle4 :)

Doyle4

Quote from: Danne on July 13, 2013, 10:09:31 AM
You can do 3,5k in crop mode, no scaling. I manage to film contnuously in 12fps.

Edit. Just read your edit Doyle4 :)

Easy mistakes eh haha :)

12fps is better than none, and with Twixtor you can make it look like 24p again :)

Danne

Yes, dadinio13 showed some nice material. It includes timestretching in after effects together with frame interpolation with twixtor. I,ll try to film some material during the day to post later

SoulState

Quote from: Danne on July 13, 2013, 10:09:31 AM
I manage to film contnuously in 12fps.
Wow that's cool! Looking forward for 24 pfs footage interpolated with twixtor...
I curious about twixtor's capability to do quality interpolation with relativily fast moving objects (like walking people, or moving cars) without visible artifacts; or this technique usable only in scenes with subtle motion like leaves on wind, etc...?