Video in 3.5k raw

Started by friano75, July 07, 2013, 05:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

friano75

I'm trying to make a short movie in 3.5k. But with 15fps no chance to render this in time. so I did it in 1080p.

7thfloorsteve

Quote from: friano75 on July 07, 2013, 05:51:12 PM
I've done some tests in 3.5k raw and I have to say the quality is AMAZING! The image is unbelievable sharp and clean.
Shot at 24fps (override) for 2 seconds (48f) and slowed down in post. Always the 6th frame was broken and the 15th frame overexposed (but only in 3.5k raw).

Please watch the amazing shots in 3.5k :P:

Sorry for the simple question, but how is the 3.5k achieved? Do you have a link I could read up on? I have scanned through the forums, and really can't find a good answer on how to get it. The video looks AMAZING btw.

friano75

I'm doing it this way:
First set your frame rate in the CANON menu as near as possible on the framerate you want. No panic you can choose the exact fps with fps override later.
Then go to the ML menu under preferences and enter in the focus point settings submenu. Set the speed to normal, snap points to Center/TL/TR/BR/BL, Display Auto-Hide.
Set your exposure settings (aperture,shutter speed,focus...). You should see the white focus box on the screen -> move it 17 to the left and 8 up (in crop mode only the top left area will be used from the sensor).
Now press the lupe button once to zoom 5x. Go to RAW video submenu and select your resolution you want >1080p possible. Enable memory hack, small hacks. Set your aspect ratio.
If you want you can vary your fps. For this go to fps override select Optimized for exact fps and choose your frame rate. Go out of the ML menu.
Remember your only recording in a partial surface of the sensor! crop factor!

Check this video tutorial:

Canon eos m

Hi,

The 3.5K recording capability was doing fine with the previous build but now with the new version the camera starts to skip frames early. I have a 5DM3 running on 32GB Lexar 1000X and Sandisk 95mb/s (Class 10) cards.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Danne

What fps are you using filming in 3,5k?

Canon eos m

Started with 30fps on the Canon and now on 24fps & 24fps on my ML menu (FPS override - Exact FPS)
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Danne

Ok, and the aspect ratio? I mean, I only get continuous in 3,5k if I choose 12-15 fps override. That is when I choose the highest output aspect ratio in 3xcrop mode

Canon eos m

Quote from: friano75 on August 17, 2013, 06:55:15 PM
I'm doing it this way:
First set your frame rate in the CANON menu as near as possible on the framerate you want. No panic you can choose the exact fps with fps override later.
Then go to the ML menu under preferences and enter in the focus point settings submenu. Set the speed to normal, snap points to Center/TL/TR/BR/BL, Display Auto-Hide.
Set your exposure settings (aperture,shutter speed,focus...). You should see the white focus box on the screen -> move it 17 to the left and 8 up (in crop mode only the top left area will be used from the sensor).
Now press the lupe button once to zoom 5x. Go to RAW video submenu and select your resolution you want >1080p possible. Enable memory hack, small hacks. Set your aspect ratio.
If you want you can vary your fps. For this go to fps override select Optimized for exact fps and choose your frame rate. Go out of the ML menu.

Retested - frames skipping is massive at 1920X1080. Any way to avoid that?

7thfloorsteve

Quote from: friano75 on August 17, 2013, 06:55:15 PM
I'm doing it this way:

Awesome, Thanks for the help!

LucaBrasi

Nice! Do I need to disable some setting in ML menu to achieve the high resolution? I am not able to scroll to the 3.5k resolution I raw video menu!

EDIT: Oh, only 12fps, sorry :)

friano75

With the 5D mark 3 zoom in once (crop mode) go to the resolution menu and you should be able to scroll to 3.5k now.

LucaBrasi

Quote from: friano75 on August 23, 2013, 08:05:57 PM
With the 5D mark 3 zoom in once (crop mode) go to the resolution menu and you should be able to scroll to 3.5k now.

Yepp found it, thanks. Tho only available in 12fps. Also I get heavily vertical banding. Friano75 what version/date raw2dng.exe are you using?

Good tutorial vid btw!

LB

friano75

I'm using RawMagic 1.0 for mac.

friano75

Tried to take more videos in 3584x1320. I can do 4s shots without problems in 16fps and convert it with twixtor to 24fps. The shot is now in real time. Could you developer please increase the max vertical resolution to 1525 for 2.35 ratio? Would be fantastic. 8) GO CINEMA 8)

spider

nigel

On a 2.5k screen. And that is seriously eye piercing!

Africashot

While this all sounds intriguing, I really don't get the point of undergoing all this to achieve the extra resolution, what for?
ML 5D2 & T3i

nigel

1080p videos don't look crisp on a 2.5k screen. Haha. But perhaps it makes the footage easier to work with in post? Knowing you have some resolution you can spare

friano75

It's only the aspect ratio I don't like so much. Is it hardware that doesn't allow to increase the vertical resolution?
I mean look at that: