Raw->DNG methodology and current development

Started by eyeland, July 07, 2013, 04:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeland

By now, I have been playing around with the different methods of RAW->DNG.
I understand that the different batch utilities have different flavors in terms of proxy footage, but for now, I am only concerned with the DNG.

(i) - I would really like to be able to treat the DNG in Lightroom like I treat my normal photos - including the use of profiles.
That is, I have alot of presets I made, presets that use camera profiles like "Adobe Standard", "Camera Neutral", "ILFORD" and so on.
How do I modify the DNG for Lightroom to be able to use said profiles?
I assume it has to do with Camera info and/or exposure info in the EXIF? I seem to recall a post claiming that RAWMagic (for MAC) can do this?
After spending all day trying to figure this out I am loosing my mind. I tried several exif editors to no avail.
Anyone out there who found a way to get camera calibration / camera profile to work on ACR/LR?!
EDIT: I managed to get calibration profiles working by simply importing the complete EXIF from another photo using ExifTool (and ExifToolGUI)

(ii) - Again, speaking ONLY about DNG conversion, are there any differences between the different apps? eg. RAWanizer(Pros:Nice interface, nice filename/structure handling) , BATCHelor (Pros:Option for LOSSLESS DNG compression), Eyeframe(Pros:Nice Preview function)

(iii) - Playing around with ADOBE's DNG converter (Adobe or Batchelor) using LOSSLESS compression, a set of 356 DNG goes from 1.14GB to 349mb (Lossless)(Millage seems to vary quite a bit) . Given this significant reduction in size, is there any reason NOT to use compressed DNG by default? (This is obviously a VERY nice feature for those who do non-destructive editing or anyone keeping the DNG)

(iv) Would it makes sense with a post that tracks and links the newest versions of all the various PP apps?

As always, I did my best to find threads dealing with these issues but found mostly scattered posts. If I missed a thread dealing with any of these specific issues, please move/point me there :)
Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...

mvejerslev

Do you have any EXIF data in the DNG files? Running the 7-7 build, I do not get any EXIF data in my files, Camera Raw / Lightroom needs exif to recognize camera model, ISO speed etc.
5D Mark II, PC

marekk

ACR can't recognize camera model because chdk-dng.c creates DNG files with name "Canikon" .. You should to change it in the code for example to "Canon EOS 60D" and compile raw2dng.

Quote from: eyeland on July 07, 2013, 04:54:31 PM

(i) - I would really like to be able to treat the DNG in Lightroom like I treat my normal photos - including the use of profiles.
That is, I have alot of presets I made, presets that use camera profiles like "Adobe Standard", "Camera Neutral", "ILFORD" and so on.
How do I modify the DNG for Lightroom to be able to use said profiles?
I assume it has to do with Camera info and/or exposure info in the EXIF? I seem to recall a post claiming that RAWMagic (for MAC) can do this?
After spending all day trying to figure this out I am loosing my mind. I tried several exif editors to no avail.
Anyone out there who found a way to get camera calibration / camera profile to work on ACR/LR?!

IliasG

Quote from: marekk on July 09, 2013, 12:39:56 PM
ACR can't recognize camera model because chdk-dng.c creates DNG files with name "Canikon" .. You should to change it in the code for example to "Canon EOS 60D" and compile raw2dng.

Or change the "unique camera model" tag from canicon to "your model" using exiftool (it's easy with exitoolgui as frontend) ..

eyeland

Anyone feel like compiling a version of raw2dng with "5Dmk3" instaed of Canikon for me? would be very nice as I have not been successful with exiftool yet (and one extra step in my PP workflow is not what I am craving for right now :D)

eyeland

Quote from: mvejerslev on July 09, 2013, 01:06:31 AM
Do you have any EXIF data in the DNG files? Running the 7-7 build, I do not get any EXIF data in my files, Camera Raw / Lightroom needs exif to recognize camera model, ISO speed etc.
Nope, no EXIF

eyeland

I managed to get calibration profiles working by simply importing the complete EXIF from another photo using ExifTool (and ExifToolGUI)
It would be nice if one of the batchconverters could take info from an xml file logged from each recording. Perhaps there is an easier way to achieve the same result that I didn't think of?
Also, I don't know which tags that are relevant when applying camera profiles. Does it use multiple values for calculations or is it more like an "on/off" scenario?

mvejerslev

It needs camera model for profiles, but also it needs the rest of the info, really. Stuff like ISO speed for denoising etc etc. I really need my exif back :-(

PS: I've gone through the whole exiftool thing before, and I dont want to relearn all that...
5D Mark II, PC

eyeland

Quote from: mvejerslev on July 09, 2013, 11:54:41 PM
PS: I've gone through the whole exiftool thing before, and I dont want to relearn all that...
The easiest workaround I can think of at the moment is to take a "normal" Raw picture on scene and then just batch copy the entire EXIF from the Raw to your set of DNG. But it really would be nice with an integration of this feature, eg. raw2dng reading exif from a camera generated xml.

mvejerslev

There's supposed to be exif in there. Can't develop in Camera raw without.
5D Mark II, PC

eyeland

Quote from: mvejerslev on July 10, 2013, 12:32:47 AM
There's supposed to be exif in there. Can't develop in Camera raw without.
Sure, real EXIF will be better, but for now, just take a normal picture for each scene you shoot and then batch import the EXIF from said photo into your clip using EXIFTool, should not be more than a few clicks?

duncanidaho25

I just tried it out, and I thought I would share my findings.

1.  Be sure to download and install both EXIFTool and EXIFToolGui.
2.  You have to rename EXIFtool-(k).exe to EXIFtool.exe
3.  Select all your dng files
4.  Click "Export/Import (menu bar) -> "copy metadata from single file -> select your photo (with the correct EXIF metadata) -> execute

*I had to manually input FocalLength and FNumber because I was useing a manual lens without any camera communication.

Having all this info. would be nice, I am tying to figure out if it is practical to do all of this during production.  Any ideas?
5D2 |  VAF-5d2b | Komputerbay 64GB 1000x  | 14, 24, 35, 85 Samyang Lens Set  | 50, 180 Nikon | Marshall V-LCD51 | DigiFinder | 528s LED Amaran lights