[DONE] ML Auto ISO (as a module)

Started by Marsu42, June 11, 2013, 10:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsu42

Recently my most used ml feature was axed: ml auto iso, it is supposed to be superseded by ettr and/or the dev(s) lost interest in it as far as I understand it. For me personally this isn't an issue because I re-patched it into my local build, so I'm fine as long as the patch applies more or less - but others might not be so lucky.

Request: re-add ml auto iso, as a module if it need be (maybe ml goes the modularized way anyway, probably not a bad idea)

Rationale: ml auto iso made two vital things possible that at least I have been missing as long as having a dslr and using auto iso: prevent the lens from going wide open in Tv and override Canon's shutter speed decision (either too fast for landscape or too slow for action) in Av mode. ETTR is completely different and does *not* replace this because it needs up to 2 junk shots to calibrate, while ml auto iso is/was a quick "good enough exposure" mode for action with selectable depth of field (Av with ml auto iso) for macro/landscape/walkaround with selectable motion blur stopper (Tv with ml auto iso).

Edit 1: Also if anybody is up to it feel free to implement smaller than full iso steps (though this seems to need some wizardry since ml currently uses Canon's algorithm as far as I understand it). But it was working as it was and a bit step up from bare Canon auto iso...

Plus: Also nice would be *upper* limits for either aperture (too small aperture = diffraction) and shutter (too high shutter = camera cannot use flash x-sync anymore) :-)

Edit 2: M mode also is no alternative, no only because it's slower but there is no "ec on m" and I ec on every other shot with the back wheel

Audionut

Quote from: Marsu42 on June 11, 2013, 10:11:23 AM
Edit: Also if anybody is up to it feel free to implement smaller than full iso steps (though this seems to need some wizardry since ml currently uses Canon's algorithm as far as I understand it). But it was working as it was and a bit step up from bare Canon auto iso...

ISO's other then full stops are a waste of time.

Sorry can't help with the rest.

gerk.raisen

Totally agree with Marsu42.

It was quick and effective, useful for many situation where ETTR is not (yet?) fast enough.
I miss it much. :)
Can anyone help to reborn it?

Where we can start to encapsulate the removed code into a module?

PhantomLord

I agree with Marsu42, and I will be interested to use Auto ISO as well as ETTR as Marsu42 said, ETTR is great, but there are times where ml auto iso is more preferable.

larrycafe

I miss the ML Auto ISO also, if this can be a module it will be good

Marsu42

Quote from: larrycafe on June 11, 2013, 03:50:33 PM
I miss the ML Auto ISO also, if this can be a module it will be good

Ok, I copy/pasted the ml auto iso feature into a module, even did some tweaks, it works great ... I'll test it some more and then upload it as a pull request :-)

larrycafe

that's good, looking forward to it, thanks.

Marsu42

I uploaded the source code as a pull request, so once the devs merge it you can compile the new module and use it.

klasbo

I see the pull request (https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/124/ml-autoiso-module-some-small-changes-fix/diff) hasn't moved since 23/06, any updates here?

I jumped on the RAW video hype train (it didn't work properly, unless you count psychedelic magenta/green frames as "working"), and lost both ml_auto_iso and display_clock (non-liveview clock). And I can't find previous versions of ML.

Marsu, do you have a working version with auto iso? Even if it's just your own self-built autoexec from an older branch, I'll take it.