Should I switch to a 5d Mark II from a 6D?

Started by xNiNELiVES, July 06, 2013, 04:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xNiNELiVES

I originally was thinking of buying the 5d mark II but the 6Ds better low light performance and WiFi capabilities, not to mention it's lower price (in most situations) made me buy the 6D.

Now with the recent innovations of raw video, I've been thinking of switching and I've found a 5d mark II in absolutely great condition and maybe a lower price.

Can someone give me some insight along with the current max raw capabilities with this camera? I know there is a thread for current capabilities but it's always changing so I'm curious of the current max.

1%

1920x1038 on 50D, probably same on 5DII.

6D performance is better than 5DII in terms of everything except write.

xNiNELiVES

Well there are other things:
1)Dual card slots. Two different ways of storing.
2)Slightly higher resolution. I know it makes absolutely (almost) no difference.
3)1/8000 shutter speed.
4)Auto LCD Brightness
5)Glass LCD
6)Larger LCD: 3.2 opposed to 3 inch
7)1 more c mode.

Idk small things like this even it out, along with the huge benefit of high resolution continuous raw video.

ilguercio

Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: ilguercio on July 06, 2013, 06:17:49 AM
Are you talking about 5DII or 5DIII?

Scroll up and read the thread title.

Edit: in fact no, read the responding title of your own post.

ilguercio

I guess you should get your facts right because the 5DII hasn't got a double slot nor a bigger lcd than the 6D.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: ilguercio on July 06, 2013, 06:27:52 AM
I guess you should get your facts right because the 5DII hasn't got a double slot nor a bigger lcd than the 6D.

Yeah you're right about that. I thought the 5d2 came with that stuff...

1%

mageye

5DMKII & 6D Side by side comparison

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos5dmkii&products=canon_eos6d

EDIT: One thing I was just wondering about is that the 6D can take SDXC card apparently. Therefore the write speeds should be very good (312 MB/s UHS-II) (supposing that those write speeds can be realised)???

Thinking about it I am sure that those speeds won't be realised?. I wonder why that might be? Maybe someone can explain this?
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

nanomad

Because canon went cheap and put a controller capable of 50MB/s (40 or so if you take cpu load into account)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

mageye

That's nuts!!! >:(

Why even bother putting a card slot that supports much faster speeds when it's not going to be utilised (oh but then they never imagined that anyone would ever want to write at higher data rates :().

I answer my own question! ;D :o
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: mageye on July 06, 2013, 01:39:09 PM
5DMKII & 6D Side by side comparison

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos5dmkii&products=canon_eos6d

EDIT: One thing I was just wondering about is that the 6D can take SDXC card apparently. Therefore the write speeds should be very good (312 MB/s UHS-II) (supposing that those write speeds can be realised)???

Thinking about it I am sure that those speeds won't be realised?. I wonder why that might be? Maybe someone can explain this?

One thing better about the 6D is that it has a better AF system...

Anyways thanks for the guide but it's a bit out of date. With new firmware from canon a few of those specs have changed. Still very in depth thanks!

@1% - What do you mean by worse sensor performance?

mageye

1%

6D - digic V, new sensor - real iso 128K, 60P for video, better low light, lower noise, better H264, etc 5DII also has moire so you're not escaping that. 5DII software feels a bit more clunky too and you lose exfat. Danger of pink/corrupt frames in the raw with GD on. 1080P is in crop mode only.

I wouldn't trade the 6D for a 5DII.. only a 5DIII. But also wouldn't upgrade from 5DII to the 6D.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: 1% on July 06, 2013, 06:53:14 PM
6D - digic V, new sensor - real iso 128K, 60P for video, better low light, lower noise, better H264, etc 5DII also has moire so you're not escaping that. 5DII software feels a bit more clunky too and you lose exfat. Danger of pink/corrupt frames in the raw with GD on. 1080P is in crop mode only.

I wouldn't trade the 6D for a 5DII.. only a 5DIII. But also wouldn't upgrade from 5DII to the 6D.

There's been video comparisons of the video function of the 5D2 and 6D. They were about the same but the reviewer said the 5D2 had less moire.

As far as 1080p goes, 1880 x 1012 is practically the same thing. I mean I'm half videographer half photographer so raw video is pretty important. When I turn of GD do I lose the chance of pink or corrupted frames? Also isn't this just an undeveloped version of ML so won't it be fixed eventually? Since it doesn't have Exfat doesn't it just split to multiple 4gb files?

Thanks for the facts.

1%

About the same? No 60P, no IPB, mediocre sync for display filters. 4 year old technology (550D/500D level).

QuoteWhen I turn of GD do I lose the chance of pink or corrupted frames?

It should, works fine on the 50D.

QuoteAlso isn't this just an undeveloped version of ML

Nope, 5DII was flagship for a long time. Its about as developed as they get. 50D was under-developed and I think its up to 5DII now. It will split the files, true.. the splitting is annoying though and you have to copy all files over and then combine them together so you're using 2x the disk space for a little bit.

Mainly its a lateral move, I'd get both if anything or just get 5DIII. I'd consider a 50D but its not full frame. 6D and 5DII are about the same price on ebay.

From recording both 50D and 6D the few pixels here or there doesn't make THAT much of a difference. The 6D file sizes are more manageable and look pretty darn similar after up-scaling. You're also only getting ~15 minutes of video on a 64gb $100+ CF card. 6D media is 1/2 price.

If raw is your only criteria then yea, 5DII will record larger longer.

xNiNELiVES

kgv5

Do you have both cameras right now? Could you make some comparison video - say 1808x756 vs 1880x....?

edit:
I have made such thing:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.msg57758;topicseen#msg57758
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D