600D mic audio confusion

Started by Chazfest, July 03, 2013, 07:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chazfest

Hi all,
I've just hooked up a mic to my 600D with the latest Magic Lantern loaded on it.
The levels seem to correspond the the external mic when recording, but during playback through the camera, only the internal mic can be heard.
Then, when I bring the mov into FCP, the audio sounds terrible, really tinny. But when I solo just one of the 2 stereo tracks, the audio immediately sounds a thousand times better, with a nice low end to it. So for now, I've unlinked the audio in FCP, deleted 1 track (they both sound identical on their own), duplicated the remaining track, relinked them, and voila, my audio sounds great.

Whilst this is a fix of some kind, I'm wondering if anyone could shed any light on why this is happening? And perhaps suggest a better solution? For what it's worth, I don't have an 'Audio' menu on my 600D ML menu, though I spotted one numerous times on different cams on YouTube vids.

If there's no solution, then perhaps this weird workaround might simply help someone else out.

Thanks in advance :)

N/A

Get the ML nightly release with audio controls, what you're probably getting right now is external mic on left stereo and internal mic on right channel (or vice versa, don't remember off the top of my head). The nightly build gives you full control over audio, its great.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?