E L Y S I U M // RAW 5Dmk3 50fps 1080p.

Started by davidanthonyparkinson, July 05, 2013, 03:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidanthonyparkinson

Film I shot a week ago using the latest RAW build. I was able to shoot 4-5 second bursts of slow mo 50fps RAW. The results blew me away. Dynamic range is what I'm interested in and it really looks like alexa or film stock. Enjoy!

Filmed on Canon Mk3 using Magic Lantern RAW beta build 21/6/2013.
Filmed at 1920p 50fps in approx. 4-5 second bursts on KomputerBay 128gig (Buffer then runs out).

Grading is only very light. The pictures coming straight out of the camera are phenomenal.
The detail and dynamic range are really unbelievable. A couple of shots have been stabilized in post.
- - -
Canon L series glass. 16mm-35mm f2.8 II, 24mm-105mm f4, 35mm f1.4, 100mm 2.8 II macro
Glide Cam HD2000
Cut with PR 6 and AE 6
Graded in Premiere with 3 way colour wheel.
- - -
Music: Sea Oleena "Swimming Story"
seaoleena.bandcamp.com/
- - -
Shot/Cut by: David Anthony Parkinson
Girl: Sybil Lebois

daap.com.au

aaphotog

Nice video. I seen it a couple of days ago on Vimeo I believe. If you don't mind me asking, what were your settings?
Did you go 1080 24fps or 720 w 60fps in canons native menu? Also, did you use frames per second over ride? If so, what did you set the GPS override to?

swrightgfx

Port Willunga - great spot and great work. May I ask what you used to stabilise? Very fluid.

Good to see another from Adelaide on these forums. Welcome.

davidanthonyparkinson

Selected 720p 50fps in the canon menu then loaded the raw plugin in Magic Lantern. Raw resolution selected at 1080p and 2.35:1 aspect ratio. no fps override. All other plugins were disabled to free up the buffers.

Was filmed using a glide cam and some of the shots were further stabilized in premiere.

Port Willy is great! I'm lucky enough to live there :D

Toffifee

Hey,
Great movie!

One question:
When I select 1280p 60fps in canons menu and 1920p 2.35 in ML RAW menu, it says stretch by 1,61x in post.
I can't actually choose 1920x818, any ideas why that is?

nightvision04

Quote from: davidanthonyparkinson on July 05, 2013, 03:13:09 AM
Film I shot a week ago using the latest RAW build. I was able to shoot 4-5 second bursts of slow mo 50fps RAW. The results blew me away. Dynamic range is what I'm interested in and it really looks like alexa or film stock. Enjoy!

Filmed on Canon Mk3 using Magic Lantern RAW beta build 21/6/2013.
Filmed at 1920p 50fps in approx. 4-5 second bursts on KomputerBay 128gig (Buffer then runs out).

Grading is only very light. The pictures coming straight out of the camera are phenomenal.
The detail and dynamic range are really unbelievable. A couple of shots have been stabilized in post.
- - -
Canon L series glass. 16mm-35mm f2.8 II, 24mm-105mm f4, 35mm f1.4, 100mm 2.8 II macro
Glide Cam HD2000
Cut with PR 6 and AE 6
Graded in Premiere with 3 way colour wheel.
- - -
Music: Sea Oleena "Swimming Story"
seaoleena.bandcamp.com/
- - -
Shot/Cut by: David Anthony Parkinson
Girl: Sybil Lebois

daap.com.au

Incredible! well done.
Resolve Addict. ML RAW Addict. Contagious.

aaphotog

Quote from: davidanthonyparkinson on July 05, 2013, 06:49:35 AM
Selected 720p 50fps in the canon menu then loaded the raw plugin in Magic Lantern. Raw resolution selected at 1080p and 2.35:1 aspect ratio. no fps override. All other plugins were disabled to free up the buffers.

Was filmed using a glide cam and some of the shots were further stabilized in premiere.

Port Willy is great! I'm lucky enough to live there :D
I tried selecting the 60fps in the canon menu and I had fps override in ML menu set to off, then I recorded a clip. I was able to get quite a long clip at above 1080p which didn't seem normal(for 60p). Problem is, when I brought it into Rawmagic, it showed up as 29.97 fps.
Did yours show the same as well???

Also, in post, did you use twixtor or something, or did you simply drop the file on a 25fps timeline?

anchoricex

I thought the higher framerates like 60fps were limited to 720p? Can someone explain to me like I'm a fifth grader how this works?

And is the 4-5 second clip length a limitation of the KomputerBay card that you have?

theblueiris

I made an account for the sole purpose of commenting on this thread and saying what a magnificent job you have done here. I probably won't get my hands on a 5D3 for a while so I'm going to be using my 5D2 until that time comes but holy cow do you make me one to just drop some cash on the Mark III as it is.

:D

Anyways, nice work, and I guess now that I have made an ML account for this comment its time for me to go compliment other people on their work.

pascal

Great work. Nice moments, colors and environment.

DerekDock

Really looks great. I'll have to start experimenting with different frame rates soon. Only thing killing it for me is the horrible compression on the blacks.
www.vimeo.com/leftcoastdigital
www.twitter.com/derekdock

davidanthonyparkinson

Quote from: Toffifee on July 06, 2013, 11:29:29 AM
Hey,
Great movie!

One question:
When I select 1280p 60fps in canons menu and 1920p 2.35 in ML RAW menu, it says stretch by 1,61x in post.
I can't actually choose 1920x818, any ideas why that is?

That's correct you have to increase the vertical resolution but 161% in post to retain the correct ratio. This does create a tiny bit of tearing and isn't true 1080p but it is far better than 720p. Cheers

davidanthonyparkinson

Quote from: aaphotog on July 09, 2013, 02:22:19 AM
I tried selecting the 60fps in the canon menu and I had fps override in ML menu set to off, then I recorded a clip. I was able to get quite a long clip at above 1080p which didn't seem normal(for 60p). Problem is, when I brought it into Rawmagic, it showed up as 29.97 fps.
Did yours show the same as well???

Also, in post, did you use twixtor or something, or did you simply drop the file on a 25fps timeline?

I didn't select 60p so my guess is the ML software doesn't like 60p raw at anything above the 720p resolution selected from the menu. I selected 50p and 1080 with 2.35:1 ration in ML. the clip show up as 50fps in Rawmagic. I then transcoded those to 25fps in post. Didn't use twixtor at all the frames shown in the video are 1:1

Thanks

davidanthonyparkinson

Quote from: anchoricex on July 09, 2013, 07:59:19 PM
I thought the higher framerates like 60fps were limited to 720p? Can someone explain to me like I'm a fifth grader how this works?

And is the 4-5 second clip length a limitation of the KomputerBay card that you have?

50/60fps is locked to 720p with the standard canon software. ML allows the camera to record RAW still frames at a higher rate. Its actually recording 50 still RAW photos a second at 1920 x 1080 instead of the full still photo resolution.

The 1000x cards can only record for 4-5 seconds before the camera buffer is full at 50fps. maybe with faster cards in the future this won't be a problem.

pascal

Quote from: davidanthonyparkinson on July 11, 2013, 10:37:57 AM
Its actually recording 50 still RAW photos a second at 1920 x 1080 instead of the full still photo resolution.
Hi, how do you set that up? I did not have the option to select Full HD at those high frames. Is there a trick?

anchoricex

Quote from: davidanthonyparkinson on July 11, 2013, 10:37:57 AM
50/60fps is locked to 720p with the standard canon software. ML allows the camera to record RAW still frames at a higher rate. Its actually recording 50 still RAW photos a second at 1920 x 1080 instead of the full still photo resolution.

The 1000x cards can only record for 4-5 seconds before the camera buffer is full at 50fps. maybe with faster cards in the future this won't be a problem.

Thank you for the knowledge. What's your card benchmarking at?