What is quickest way to preview RAW or convert RAW to a proxy?

Started by dirtcastle, July 04, 2013, 11:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtcastle

My current workflow bottleneck is right at the very beginning: converting and previewing RAW files. It is hard to know if I got the shot I needed and it takes quite a bit of time to convert RAW footage to proxies with my current workflow, which uses RAWanizer.

Can people suggest some hardware and/or software changes I can make to improve the speed with which I can preview footage?

I have a Macbook Pro i7 and I'm running OSX and Windows 8 (via Parallels).

Thank you!

mageye

Ginger HDR allows you to directly edit the *.RAW files in After Effects.

I don't use it for grading; just for preview because it's fast. The problem is it bypasses ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) so you don't get the benefits that ACR brings. I then use RAWMagic to convert to CinemaDNG and then After Effects once I have gone through the video (previewed) that I have recorded.

It's already been discussed and there's lots of information here:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6324.0
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

fatpig

check out cineform 422 conversion. it is as fast as you can read your card.
You get a cineform avi- that is very flat.
I implemented batch conversion in my BATCHelor.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5645.new#new

I use it all the time for on-set preview and also for dailies.

dirtcastle

Quote from: mageye on July 05, 2013, 12:49:09 AM
Ginger HDR allows you to directly edit the *.RAW files in After Effects.

On my Macbook Pro i7, Ginger HDR playback is very slow. Is it possible to get real-time playback with a more powerful machine?

dirtcastle

Quote from: fatpig on July 05, 2013, 03:59:53 PM
check out cineform 422 conversion. it is as fast as you can read your card.
You get a cineform avi- that is very flat.
I implemented batch conversion in my BATCHelor.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5645.new#new

I use it all the time for on-set preview and also for dailies.

I am able to generate an .avi file, but it won't play in anything.  :(  I've tried playing it in Premiere, Cineform Studio, and every player I've got. But no dice.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE: I am also unable to get Cineform avi conversion working in RAWanizer. I will investigate and report back.

AnotherDave

You can scrub through a .RAW file in Premiere with Ginger...  play"back" isn't really too easy, but you can see that it is there.

dirtcastle

Quote from: AnotherDave on July 06, 2013, 05:04:46 AM
You can scrub through a .RAW file in Premiere with Ginger...  play"back" isn't really too easy, but you can see that it is there.

I'm starting to wonder "When does it makes sense to use Ginger HDR?" Correct me if I'm wrong... but it's not a substitute for proxies, and if you want to use ACR or Resolve, you still need to convert to CDNG or ProRes.

To be fair, I really like Ginger HDRs flat look (and it's elimination of CA). But I still need to convert it to ProRes before I can work with it, and so I'm not sure it will survive in my workflow.