Turn your RAW footage into LOG

Started by aaphotog, July 04, 2013, 06:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tihon

Hi! Thanks.
No math behind it. But it`s not like a cinestyle;) All DR is there.
I have quite similar results after  grading blackmagick footage  with film log (in resolve)  and in AE with this ACR preset.
Cinema, cinema, cinema

Joachim Buambeki

Thanks for the reply tihon.
Is there a reason why you have a medium instead of a linear curve in the preset?
From what I was able to gather "Contrast" works more on the midtones so you you're maybe better off by using the linear curve and raise "Contrast" again a bit?

aaphotog

I opened after efffect. went to import file, opened a set of dng's. I applied tihon's log settings in ACR the selected ok.
I I then applied Kodak lut to the now video as a new layer. there was NO color!
I guess with tihon's acr settings it takes the color out. now when applying a different lut, it has no color?
My log worked just fine, but it's not a log file for acr, but a log LUT

tihon

I noticed that my preset works incorrect in ACR upper 6.6. But in 6.6 works good
Cinema, cinema, cinema

aaphotog

Quote from: tihon on July 08, 2013, 01:12:08 PM
I noticed that my preset works incorrect in ACR upper 6.6. But in 6.6 works good

I've been testing out some AMAZING luts by red users and what not. The best log footage that I've been able to get, was right in after effects. Click effects -----> utilities ----> citron converter. Then change the setting from log to linear to linear to log.

Looks horrible. Now add a cinematic LUT like a Kodak 2393

tihon

Quote from: aaphotog on July 08, 2013, 03:05:57 PM
I've been testing out some AMAZING luts by red users and what not. The best log footage that I've been able to get, was right in after effects. Click effects -----> utilities ----> citron converter. Then change the setting from log to linear to linear to log.

"rawdng to bmfilm (log)"  from me for ACR 7,8
http://yadi.sk/d/2vbU1S8G6bBdI must work

--------
----------
yep, i try kodak 2393 in resolve for blackmagick footage with film log profile, looks bad. Looks the same as my ACR log + kodak lut in AE:)

Here is an example of my ACR log preset
Cinema, cinema, cinema

aaphotog

aaphotog

Quote from: tihon on July 08, 2013, 03:19:56 PM
"rawdng to bmfilm (log)"  from me for ACR 7,8
http://yadi.sk/d/2vbU1S8G6bBdI must work

--------
----------
yep, i try kodak 2393 in resolve for blackmagick footage with film log profile, looks bad. Looks the same as my ACR log + kodak lut in AE:)

Here is an example of my ACR log preset

your newest XMP for ACR works MUCH better
but it only works well with hooks lut.

Try the kodak 2393 constlclip lut.
But DONT apply your xmp in acr when loading the files. Instead import the regular dngs to adter effects. Add cineon converter on a new layer and apply the setting lineartolog.
then create another layer and apply the kodak lut. Then come back and tell me what you think

tihon

if we use a red`s lut, we need a red`s "log".  My "Log" is based on blackmagick log, so Hooks LUT works good.

Cineon converter  + Kodak lut works awful for me:(

Trying to emulate Kodak with my modified log preset + hook`s lut:

I think it looks great.

My new ACR "kodak log" preset for using with Hook`s LUT:)  : http://yadi.sk/d/PWpnACLk6bazc ) (ACR 7,8)

All you have to do is: shot with ETTR, and correct WB (temp and tint) and exposure for each clip
Cinema, cinema, cinema

aaphotog

That ACR log file you posted when applied to my footage with hooks lut gives a good kodak look.
Problem is, why do I need different log starting points?
Quote from: tihon on July 08, 2013, 05:09:10 PM
if we use a red`s lut, we need a red`s "log".  My "Log" is based on blackmagick log, so Hooks LUT works good.

Cineon converter  + Kodak lut works awful for me:(

Trying to emulate Kodak with my modified log preset + hook`s lut:

I think it looks great.

My new ACR "kodak log" preset for using with Hook`s LUT:)  : http://yadi.sk/d/PWpnACLk6bazc ) (ACR 7,8)

All you have to do is: shot with ETTR, and correct WB (temp and tint) and exposure for each clip

tihon

Quote from: aaphotog on July 08, 2013, 07:22:34 PM
That ACR log file you posted when applied to my footage with hooks lut gives a good kodak look.
Problem is, why do I need different log starting points?
i think because to simulate Kodak we need Kodak  LUT for canon LOG, not for Arri or Red.  And of course we need to have this log, but we don`t:)
We don`t have a true  canon raw log, so don`t have LUTS,

As you can see, i made my first ACR log preset using blackmagick film profile, and it works with all LUT`s exactly the same as bm raw, and provide the same results. I tried to use KODAK lut with bm footafe (film log) - looks bad. The same as in AE with ACR log + Kodak lut

I think those Kodak LUTs is for RED log, so we need to emulate RED log in ACR  to get the same result with LUT
Cinema, cinema, cinema

aaphotog

Quote from: tihon on July 08, 2013, 07:56:46 PM
i think because to simulate Kodak we need Kodak  LUT for canon LOG, not for Arri or Red.  And of course we need to have this log, but we don`t:)
We don`t have a true  canon raw log, so don`t have LUTS,

As you can see, i made my first ACR log preset using blackmagick film profile, and it works with all LUT`s exactly the same as bm raw, and provide the same results. I tried to use KODAK lut with bm footafe (film log) - looks bad. The same as in AE with ACR log + Kodak lut

I think those Kodak LUTs is for RED log, so we need to emulate RED log in ACR  to get the same result with LUT
so the last acr you made was a kodak acr log?
so in essence, I should be able to use the kodak LUT that I posted a video to and it should look ok?
or was the latest acr log xmp that you posted just a way of making Hooks lut look like the lut from a kodak log and its really no good for kodak luts(meants for red files)?

tihon

Quote from: aaphotog on July 08, 2013, 08:06:32 PM
so the last acr you made was a kodak acr log?
so in essence, I should be able to use the kodak LUT that I posted a video to and it should look ok?
or was the latest acr log xmp that you posted just a way of making Hooks lut look like the lut from a kodak log and its really no good for kodak luts(meants for red files)?

Last "kodak log version" doesn't  emulate red log:( this preset is only for use with Hooks lut to make a picture like a redlog+kodak lut. All you need is correcting wb and exposure
Cinema, cinema, cinema

Joachim Buambeki

Hey guys, thanks for the input so far. I am still looking for a way to get "real" log footage out ACR - it can't be that hard.
If I understand it correctly log is just a gamma curve, so with the the other developments settings set to linear (see my other post in this thread) one should have log footage with the appropriate curve in ACR, right?
With my timelapse footage I am getting terrible results with those presets posted, If I use the linear preset and the Cineon "linear to log" converter it's much better though not as good as I would like to have it.

Cheers!

johnha

Quote from: tihon on July 07, 2013, 01:19:17 PM
tihon MLraw-to-blackmagick_film(log)  ACR 6.6 preset

Don`t forget to shoot  raw with ETTR!
http://yadi.sk/d/gZzLvG3g6ZTTq - xml preset file for ACR 6.6, 6.7 

http://yadi.sk/d/2vbU1S8G6bBdI  - xml preset for ACR 7,8

On a Mac, it's located in User:Library:Application Support: Adobe:CameraRaw:Settings. On a PC, look in C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\Settings.

I use this preset for blackmagic and canon raw files. BM files with this ACR preset looks the same as in resolve with bm film profile. Don`t forget to set right wb and exposure in ACR after applying this preset. Works awesome for me.

After "raw-to-log" is done you can apply any lut: I think that  Captain Hook`s lut for blackmagick gonna be nice:
about LUT: (http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?3390-My-BMDFilm-LUT)
Lut buddy version of Captain Hook`s LUT (for Adobe Ae and Pr) : http://yadi.sk/d/cvz-uaL06ZVSq )
Thank! hope it will help

tihon, thanks so much for sharing your ACR preset and Hook's LUT (converted for LUT Buddy).

But when I try to use that combination in AE, I get a very strange outcome (dark with strange colors). Any idea what could be wrong? Thanks again,
John

aaphotog

Quote from: johnha on July 18, 2013, 08:49:01 PM
tihon, thanks so much for sharing your ACR preset and Hook's LUT (converted for LUT Buddy).

But when I try to use that combination in AE, I get a very strange outcome (dark with strange colors). Any idea what could be wrong? Thanks again,
John

After applying his ACR preset, try changing your white balance(in ACR)

johnha

Quote from: aaphotog on July 18, 2013, 09:42:01 PM
After applying his ACR preset, try changing your white balance(in ACR)

I figured out the issue. In After Effects, I had my color space set to ProPhotoRGB Linearized. When I changed that to Rec709 and unchecked the Linearize box, the colors turned out normally.

Tihon and others, I'm curious to know... which color space to you work with in AE?

aaphotog

Quote from: johnha on July 22, 2013, 06:31:16 PM
I figured out the issue. In After Effects, I had my color space set to ProPhotoRGB Linearized. When I changed that to Rec709 and unchecked the Linearize box, the colors turned out normally.

Tihon and others, I'm curious to know... which color space to you work with in AE?
Where do you change it?

johnha

tihon

Quote from: johnha on July 23, 2013, 05:52:49 AM
It's under project settings.

I checked my color space: it set as "NONE" :)
Cinema, cinema, cinema

s---70

davidjm

So i need to download lut buddy in order to use this lut?

vikado

Quote from: davidjm on August 07, 2013, 10:36:21 PM
So i need to download lut buddy in order to use this lut?
you can use resolve.
you can also use after effects by itself as well.
5d2 user

tihon

Quote from: vikado on August 07, 2013, 11:14:11 PM
you can use resolve.
you can also use after effects by itself as well.

In resolve you  need to use "camera raw" to set profile in "film log". In AE you need to use ACR to "emulate" log (if you need)
Cinema, cinema, cinema

D.L. Watson

Hey folks! I just wanted to share my free Adobe Camera RAW preset as another potential option for you. An easy to use preset to flatten your footage, maintain color, and all within ACR. No need to add layers or luts.

This plugin will capture avaliable dynamic range while keeping your colors vivid and accurate so you can render into Pro-Res, DNxHD, or Cineform and color-grade in whatever program you wish.

Updated to v2 for Improved Dynamic Range, Color, and White Balance/Tone bug-fixes.

This is the Color Corrected DNG file using Adobe Camera RAW

Here is the DNxHD file using the Flatz Preset.

And here that same DNxHD file color corrected (rather quickly to match the RAW grade)

Download and read more information here: http://www.dlwatson.net/flatz-preset.html
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net