Shot some raw at a club. WHY SO NOISY!

Started by zacshome, July 03, 2013, 03:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zacshome

ok so I posted yesterday with no demo, but I graded a few shots last night but to be honest.. not sure what the point was because it ends up look pretty much the same because it is so noisy I have to kill the blacks to hide it.... I shot at 4000iso and that would normally be fine... maybe the trick is to not worry about iso noise and shoot higher then bring the highlights down later.. I duno...it just isn't helping me.

Plus..why are you guys converting your footage after you have your tiff files...the tiff files are very editable..

noisyboy

If you're getting used to shooting raw and exposing correctly then this might make for good reading:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5693.0

Are you getting this noise with the actual DNG's or when editing your TIFF's?

My guess is that you probably underexposed which is quite an easy thing to do when getting used to shooting raw as you end up getting kinda obsessed with the ability to pull back those delicious highlights but lifting underexposed shadows and mids is always going to yield more noise as the left of the histogram records less data (which is a pretty layman's terms way of explaining it). Best thing to do is read that article - it'll make more sense than my tired-ass ramblings at 3am.

Sorry if a) I explained that badly and b) this is stuff you already know ;)

Nice footage by the way  8)

ItsMeLenny

I find clubs to be quite noisy in general, so I don't go to them.
You could try using either ear plugs or ear muffs.

AnotherDave

Over-expose slightly (without blowing out your highlights) and bring the exposure down in post.  This will improve your signal-to-noise ratio. 

Also, it's a dark night club... 

iunknown

Canon cameras normally apply in camera noise reduction to your video files.  You therefore have to do it in post.  Look at dark energy, you will get better low light results than the original h264, using raw.

Nickbibs

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on July 03, 2013, 01:46:01 PM
I find clubs to be quite noisy in general, so I don't go to them.
You could try using either ear plugs or ear muffs.

LOL