Still have 4gb limit?

Started by nowhereman86, July 03, 2013, 09:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nowhereman86

So I was under the impression that the 4gb size limit had been solved somehow. I have a 5DMk3 with a 1000x Transcend card. It's formated exFat but the camera still shuts off shortly after reaching the 4gb size (the furthest I've gotten it is a little past 5). Is there any new fix or development to dump multiple files and string them together? I thought formatting to exFat would solve the problem, but it hasn't. Am I missing something?

bnvm

I have no idea about the limit and exFat as my camera doesn't support it so I have never tested it. RAW shooting does support recording larger that 4GB it just writes out multliple files that you can stitch together later. If you are shooting in RAW mode it should work, if not ML can auto restart recording a new clip once the 4GB limit has been reached but there will be some lost time.

EDIT: Does the recording stop or does the camera turn off? If it turns off you need to set the camera's auto shutdown time to OFF, raw recording works in a different way so the camera will turn itself off when recording long clips if this option is not turned off. I imagine since the camera is being hacked it doesn't know that it is actually doing something when shooting in RAW mode and shuts down to save battery.

nowhereman86

Thanks! It was the auto shutdown function that was doing it originally but now that I've turned that off its still not going far past 4gb. Now it stops and says recording stopped automatically. Footer save error.
Any other ideas? Does anyone know what I might be missing??

1%

Exfat - no limit
Fat32 - files will be split and you will get footer error before you recombine.

It shouldn't give a footer save error tho.

nowhereman86

I already formatted it exfat. Could it be anything else?

nowhereman86

Okay it seems to be working now...only thing I can think of is that it wasn't prepared properly!