HDR from a single RAW VIDEO!

Started by supertabouret, July 03, 2013, 04:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supertabouret

Hey,

What about doing HDR from a single raw video.
Anyone tried?
How would the workflow be?

mvejerslev

I included a 'hdr' test in my test footage here: https://vimeo.com/66414746

I simply developed two version of each DNG and then 'fused' the two in Photomatix. There are other options for a quick fuse like this.
5D Mark II, PC

bnvm

Quote from: mvejerslev on July 03, 2013, 07:12:50 PM
I included a 'hdr' test in my test footage here: https://vimeo.com/66414746

I simply developed two version of each DNG and then 'fused' the two in Photomatix. There are other options for a quick fuse like this.

Merging an HDR from a single DNG graded two different ways is totally pointless and won't give you anything that the original DNG didn't contain. You have to have DNG's that were recorded with different Exposure Values to get anything useful. The main concept behind merging HDR's is that a single image cannot capture the full luminance range, clipped white values for example. So if you have an under exposed DNG to capture the shadows and and over exposed DNG to capture the highlights merging them together will give you an HDR that has a full range of values from light to dark.

scarluuk

Quote from: bnvm on July 03, 2013, 08:15:55 PM
Merging an HDR from a single DNG graded two different ways is totally pointless and won't give you anything that the original DNG didn't contain. You have to have DNG's that were recorded with different Exposure Values to get anything useful. The main concept behind merging HDR's is that a single image cannot capture the full luminance range, clipped white values for example. So if you have an under exposed DNG to capture the shadows and and over exposed DNG to capture the highlights merging them together will give you an HDR that has a full range of values from light to dark.

And that's the beauty of RAW, it contains information that's not within the Dynamic Range of what the picture is showing.
Sure, you can throw one DNG into Photomatix and see where that will get you but it's the way photomatix interpreted it that makes it a different story.
Also, you could try to make one overexposed DNG with some noise reduction applied to it and a normal under exposed picture, this will get you better results than just throw one DNG in there.

And yes, it's better to capture multiple exposures, but with RAW video we simply don't have the power for it, so this double processing is a very good alternative!

Edit: This guy explains it much better:
http://captainkimo.com/single-exposure-hdr/
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision.
Canon 5D mark III / Canon 24-105mm F4L IS / Samyang 14mm T3.1 / Samyang 24mm T1.5 / Canon 50mm F1.4 / Samyang 85mm T1.5

a1ex

When you merge a HDR from a single raw file, you are just applying some local tone mapping to it. Developing the raw "the classic way" will use curves, so the end result will be different.

In other words:
curves: for each r,g,b input value in the raw space, there's only one r,g,b output value in the final image
local tone mapping: a r,g,b input value may give more output pixel values, depending on its surroundings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_mapping (here, "global tone mapping operators" are plain curves)

I actually prefer to recover highlights and shadows with this trick, instead of sliders. Enfuse does a very nice job IMO.

Highlight recovery in ACR does also some local tone mapping. The effect is clearly seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVd1uosQg48 (a curves-only adjustment wouldn't flicker)

This is also a form of tone mapping: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/contrast-enhancement.shtml

supertabouret

Thanks everyone for considering this post.
Indeed making HDR from a singla raw fil would be crazy.

@mvejerslev
This is the process I was looking for. Just smart ;)
Beautiful images btw..

@The power of curves&tone mapping
It is indeed a process I will be trying and will let you know.
It would be the most productive..(less disk space needed and time processing)

CLS105

As a1ex mentioned its called TONE MAPPING.  Stop calling it HDR.  HDR with when 2 streams or bracketing.

mvejerslev

Note the '' I put around 'HDR' I know what 32-bit imaging is. Did you know that Camera Raw can actually process 32-bit files now? Pretty amazing. I've been a beta tester on Photoshop and Camera Raw from CS3 to CS6, so I know a few tricks. But only from standing on the shoulders of giants.

I wrote a tutorial and an action for doing the exposure expansion in Photoshop some years ago (before I abandoned the blog): http://imagingpro.wordpress.com/2008/12/03/expanding-the-dynamic-range-of-a-single-raw-file/
5D Mark II, PC

1%

Why not just use HDR video like with H264.

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: 1% on July 04, 2013, 06:37:17 AM
Why not just use HDR video like with H264.
Right, it works perfectly: enable raw video and then enable hdr video. I don't understand why to complicate life like this... ;-)
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

supertabouret

I am actually trying the RAW HDR MODE but what is the process??

I got my *.RAW file what do I do with it?
Extract the dngs bring them in AE then export into mov then bring into virtual_split.avs ? not fan..
GingerHDR not fan..

So what is the process?

deleted.account

Along with tone mapping, there is also Luminosity Painting / Contrast Masks / Saturation Masks such as:

http://goodlight.us/writing/luminositymasks/luminositymasks-1.html

Specific to image manipulation but also achievable with travel / track mattes / luma masks in grading software for video.

jaybirch

If you want a really fast way to get the HDR/Tone mapped look.... Just apply the highlights/shadows plug in, in After Effects. The preset values look very HDR like.

supertabouret

Extract the dngs bring them in AE then export into mov then bring into virtual_split.avs ? not fan..
GingerHDR not fan..

So what is the process?

jaybirch

I've been playing around all day today with raw hdr mode.

If you want to avoid blending the files... What you can try is bringing both sequences into AE (put dark and light DNGs into seperate folders, then import as sequence), line them up (dark on top)... Then adjust the opacity of the dark clip to about 30%... Add an adjustment layer above the two clips and add the Shadow/Highlights plugin... Set the plugin to blend 50%.

I find this gives a really nice, really natural looking video with huge DR... that you can then start grading.

due to ghosting, this only really works in 60p mode

bnvm

Quote from: supertabouret on July 04, 2013, 07:15:55 PM

GingerHDR not fan..

So what is the process?

It is not possible to do RAW and HDR at the same time currently. So there is no process.

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: bnvm on July 05, 2013, 07:19:10 PM
It is not possible to do RAW and HDR at the same time currently. So there is no process.
On 550D is possible, I just did it!
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

supertabouret

This is the danger of people saying things undetailed as if there words were appliable to everything.

jaybirch

Yep, definitely possible.

I can use HDR mode in 1920x1080/24p continuous and 1080/60p for about 300 frames.

1%

Quotehighlights/shadows plug in

And lose multi core rendering.

That said, ML HDR for raw does need a good workflow.

jaybirch

Quote from: 1% on July 06, 2013, 06:57:33 PM
And lose multi core rendering.

Well worth it though, for certain shots that really need that extra little boost. My pc still handles it pretty well, and it is by no means the fastest system.