NEW KomputerBay *1050x* 128 GB Card

Started by Kraemer, July 03, 2013, 08:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rungunshoot

I've been testing one of these 1050x 128GB cards repeatedly for the last several hours.  It always stops at 8:37.  What's causing that? I have no idea. But I'm happy as long as I'm getting predictable performance.  The card is fast enough; I just can't record takes longer than 8:37, which is plenty for me.

Markus

Baarman

Hi,

First of all – I´m really grateful that you guys are interested in this issue and investing some time for troubleshooting. Thank you very much! I wonder if ML developers (A1ex or anybody else) are aware of this problem? Anybody cares to escalate?

To chris_overseas:

Do you always start with a freshly cleaned/formatted card before testing this? – I tested many scenarios like 1) recorded 3 times on a row to the 128GB card (3 x ~ 8 minutes) while stopped each time right after write speed went down and started again in a few seconds or minutes, 2) manually deleted recorded data via 5DmkIII or PC/Mac and recorded again 3) formatted card in exFAT system and recorded again. Seems like this doesn´t play any role in here.
For me it also doesn´t seem like the actual frame drop although the recording speed is really low (~0,2MB/sec that slowly grows up to 45MB/sec). Although I haven´t actually analyzed recorded data in computer to be 100% sure. During testing I usually record so that camera is basically on the table or on tripod and films some static scene (wall, kitchen, out from the window etc.). So I´m not completely sure. Markus, have you confirmed that frames actually are not dropping or any artifacts doesn't appear on frames (that happened with my last Komputerbay 128GB 1000x cards – ugly horizontal violet/white stripes on some random frames).

Does the recording duration change if you change the amount of memory available (eg by enabling/disabling additional modules)? - If you mean features under Globaldraw then- NO. Time doesn´t change if the speed is decent from the very beginning and exceeds the required limit (83MB/sec, 92,5MB/sec and etc.)

Another problem could be the camera heating up however given the consistency of the above numbers that seems a little unlikely. It should also be pretty easy to test for – one of the latest ML firmwares (I use 15th of November 2013 version) has a temperature sensor that shows the temperature all the time. Haven´t seen that never raising over ~75c. So that should´t be an issue.

Just wanted to add that today when I tried to make external speed test with the card by using PC and Mac I managed to corrupt this last card also. First I tried a PC (notebook) but it only has USB 2.0 so this isn´t capable to show over 30MB/sec. I used CrystalDiskMark. Then I plugged the Transcend RDF8 UDMA7 CF card reader to iMac USB 3.0 and ran the Blackmagic disk speed test that showed nice numbers (up to 104MB/sec) but hanged at some point of time after running around 5 minutes or so and also corrupted the card. Same thing happened also with one of my last 128GB 1000x Komputerbay cards (that is now sent back to KB and once again I´m waiting for up to 4 weeks for replacement to arrive from US to Estonia) and I decided not to try the same combo again – Transcend RDF8 + KB 128GB 1000x CF + Blackmagic disk speed test. :)

So, right now I´m not able to test anything until replacements arrive again. Like I said KB refuses to refund the money saying that 28 days have passed and that was the time for monetary refund. Which is ridiculous cause most of the time the cards are being shipped and not used/tested. Due to that I´m unfortunately unable to recommend to anybody making business with KB company.

BTW - anybody knows how to fix corrupted CF cards? I´m not able to format it nor write anything onto it. The file folders are still present on the card, fortunately empty cause I managed to save the data before the corruption happened. Same thing in 5DmkIII, PC and Mac. Exactly the same type of corruption that happened with couple of previous KB 128GB 1000x cards I had. Didn´t find any helpful information in the internet cause most of the softwares are made to save the corrupted data but not the card itself. Any help would be much appreciated.

Markus

You have to be careful what card readers you use, older readers can corrupt the cards! I have read it sets them in write protection mode. Only use udma7 compatible readers! And I'm not sure all Udma 7 readers are compatible... Havent had any problem with my kingston udma7 usb 3 reader though.

I jumped around in my 128gb raw file in mlv viewer. Everything seemed to work fine.
You are testing 1000x or 1050x cards? If you want continuous rec you should buy 1050x.
were are you buying from? I live in Sweden and I can recommend buying from amazon.co.uk if your not already doing that. Closer, faster shipping and no extra taxes if live in an EU-country.

chris_overseas

OK it sounds like you're both saying that it might just be what is being displayed that's a problem, rather than what is being written to disk. Markus, are you able to confirm whether or not the video is still written out correctly even though the display implied otherwise?

If that is indeed the case then my guess would be that there is some internal math that is overflowing hence screwing up the calculation and display of the FPS or MB/s. I've had a quick look at the code but it's not obvious to me where the problem might lie - partly because I'm not familiar with the code but also because I'm not clear exactly what you're experiencing at the 8+ minute mark. Once I get my 128GB card I'll be able to see for myself which should make it easier to diagnose.

Quote from: Baarman on November 18, 2013, 10:41:40 PM
Just wanted to add that today when I tried to make external speed test with the card by using PC and Mac I managed to corrupt this last card also. First I tried a PC (notebook) but it only has USB 2.0 so this isn´t capable to show over 30MB/sec. I used CrystalDiskMark. Then I plugged the Transcend RDF8 UDMA7 CF card reader to iMac USB 3.0 and ran the Blackmagic disk speed test that showed nice numbers (up to 104MB/sec) but hanged at some point of time after running around 5 minutes or so and also corrupted the card.

It may have been the USB 2.0 reader that triggered the problem (even if you didn't notice the symptoms until later). Have a read of my earlier post:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6884.msg88538#msg88538

I'm still quite worried about card corruption on the KomputerBay card I'm about to receive. One thing for sure, I'm only ever going to put it into a USB 3.0 reader.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

Baarman

Hi,

Thanks guys but:

1) Transcend RDF8 is USB 3.0 UDMA7 supported card reader. Link: http://www.transcend-info.com/products/Catlist.asp?modno=331
2) I have also tried with other popular card reader and experienced same issues. Kingston fcr-hs3. Link: http://www.kingston.com/us/flash/readers#fcr-hs3
3) All my cards have been Komputerbay 128GB 1000x UDMA7 models. I belive 9 cards so far (3 shipments, each time 3 cards). I'm not even complaining about the speed this time because I was able to record 1080p 24fps, 25fps and even crop mode 1152p 24fps just great. Just two things that worries me: a) the write speed that suddenly drops  after ~8 minutes, is this just a visual glitch or it also affects the frame count or their quality (still hoping to get answer about this from Markus) 2) why these cards break down with Blackmagic speed test and sometimes even when abnormal power disconnection happens (camera battery runs out in the middle of shooting or you disconnect your cardreader from computer without safely removing hardware.
4) I ordered my first batch (3 x KB 128GB 1000x cards) from Amazon.co.uk in summer but shortly after that appeared that the cards actually came from US and the shipping time was therefore longer. That also reflected in price, because they didn't make the VAT discount like all companies in UK must do. So, although I can see currently that they have changed some shipment politics, my replacement cards are still coming from US, I'm pretty sure. Because of the long time it takes them to arrive each time. For me personally it is out of the consideration to buy another card from them (I don t trust this brand anymore) and my biggest pleasure would be monetary refund. But as I said, they denied, so I have no other option to accept replacement cards again and again. Hopefully not till the end of their existence. BTW, I just checked, KB doesn't ship to Estonia from Amazon.Co.Uk so that's why they send me from US: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=mk_sss_dp_1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200039400&pop-up=1

Eligible European Destinations:
(Belgium, Denmark, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Finland, Gibraltar, Iceland, Ireland, Portugal, Sweden and Poland)

And two more things:

1) Please ignore my request for help withCF card restore, this is pretty obviously impossible in home conditions and that's why companies like this exist (see also the video): http://card-recovery.biz/us/service.php
Most probably this is hardware issue and I can't do anything about this myself. Tried already several softs and PC/Mac features.
2) I must figure out how to maintain these cards safely in the future. What can and what cannot be done. Like this Mac + Transcend reader + Blackmagic soft example. Most probably I replace my CF card reader (cheapest expense), dont't ever use Blackmagic speed test again and also don't ever format my KB cards in Mac. After coping the data to local disk I plan to clear the CF card with deleting RAW files via ML File Manager in 5DmkIII.

rungunshoot

Update...I just formatted my card from Fat 32 to ExFAT and recorded a continuous 24 minute clip.  So far so good.

dannyhu

I received my 128gb 1050x card in the mail today. Installed ML. and ran Benchmarks on my 5D Mark II.  after 5 tests in a row i have concluded. A - I'm a idiot or B - this card SUCKS! My 16gb Sandisk Extreme 60MB/s memory card clocked in better benchmarks!  I will be contacting customer support but would like your guys opinion. I've attached 2 of the best tests of the 1050x card. As far as testing Raw recording at 1880x800 the most frames i could record was 253 frames before it drops. This was my first high speed memory card purchase so I'm kinda bummed.

chris_overseas

dannyhu: I'm not sure what speed a 5D2 is supposed to be able to write at. I know the following spreadsheet says 75MB/s: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQ2MOkAZTFHdFFIcFp1d0R5TzVPTVJXOEVyUndteGc#gid=5 but is that what other people are hitting in practice?

I notice you're running a pretty old build of ML. Have you tried with the latest nightly? Also, did you try running the card warm-up before the benchmark?

If that doesn't help then do you have a good (UDMA7 USB 3.0) card reader? If so, try benchmarking the card with h2testw.exe (www.heise.de/ct/Redaktion/bo/downloads/h2testw_1.4.zip) to see how the card performs without the camera being a factor.

I had a 128GB 1050x KomputerBay card delivered yesterday and I'm seeing 90-100MB/s write speeds with it when benchmarking on my 5D3.

For anyone who is looking for a good card reader for their desktop PC: I just installed the Akasa AK-ICR-14 internal (3.5" drive bay) USB 3.0 card reader. Before buying it I confirmed with Akasa support that it can handle UDMA7 transfers. With my 128GB 1050x card I'm getting ~90MB/s write and ~110MB/s read speeds so I'm pretty happy with the Akasa so far. If you decide to buy it though be careful - they also have other models that look very similar but the card reader portion of those devices is only USB 2.0. Here's a link to the product on their website, but to buy it you'll need to go via an online retailer rather than through them directly: http://www.akasa.co.uk/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Card%20Reader/Hub&type_sub=Card%20Reader&model=AK-ICR-14
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

rsousa

rungunshoot

Updating again...I've now gone through about 5 or 6 cycles of filling up/dumping/formatting two different 128GB 1050x cards with 1920x1080p 5dmkIII footage, and I haven't had any problems with either one.

Maybe I just got lucky, but so far these cards are working perfectly for me.

dannyhu

Chris_ I installed the newest nightly build for my 5d mark ii and retested my benchmarks. Customer support emailed me back last night at 2am!!!! asked me to go to Overlay Tab and only have global draw in LiveView. everything else turned off. Movie tab - bitrate set at default, and fps override at 23,976. Movie mode at 1920x1080 24p with global draw off average Benchmark is 38.65MB/s Write and 43.25MB/s Read. In playback mode with global draw on. average Benchmarks are  70.98MB/s Write and 97MB/s Read.

The only resolution i can record at without any dropped frames is 1280x720 at 23.976. My bench mark for movie mode are not even close to letting me record at the maximum resolution of the write speed. I feel like im going to have to cut my losses and send it back. do you guys have any suggestions. should i try something else.

Markus

Got another 128gb 1050x card today. It bench-marked 105mb/sek Crystal Disk Mark. 5 mb slower then the first card i got (110mb/sek). Still was able to record cont. Raw full HD with my zacuto connected =).
Writing speed bug at 8min and 16min still, haven't tried latest build though.

Baarman

Markus, in a meantime I had a chance to test the "writing speed bug" with 64GB Sandisk UDMA7 90MB/s CF card and same issue happens with this card. Exactly 9minutes and 25seconds writing speed drops to ~0.00MB/s and slowly starts to recover but with this card recording stopps at some point of time before card fills up. I tested this twice. So this speed drop still affects recording but I still don't know if frames that are recorded after that 9:25 are somehow defected or not. Or if any of those frames are skipped or not. Would you please be so kind and test it? I'd do it myself but I had to give back the Sandisk card and my replacement Komputerbay 1000x 128GB cards are still yet not shipped.
Thanks! 

I think now it should be proper time to escalate this bug to ML development guys, because this is now clearly ML defect and not just Komputerbay cards specific bug. Who should I contact? A1ex?

Markus

I have already reported the bug. : https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/1761/card-writing-speed-bug-after-8min Impretty sure there is nothing wrong with the data recorded after the bug but I have not examined this that mutch, only scrolling through media and playback in camera, 

Baarman

Thanks, I also dropped a comment there. Btw, I'm planning invest into 256gb UDMA7 160MB/s Sandisk card, but wasnt able yet to find answer to these questions, maybe you can help to find some discussions or links? 

1) Is continues 25p 1080p raw recording easily possible? With Globaldraw ON?
2) Will 5dmkIII recognise the card as exfat 256gb and uses all the space?
3) whats the highest resolution/framerate this card can handle with ML continues Raw?

Thanks!

Markus

That card can handle full HD cont. without any problems. As my cards now that benchmark around 105-110mb sek can film full HD cont. with global draw on I am sure the 1200x card that does around 140mb/sek will work. However It might not work with all global draw features enabled. The camera-cpu and udma interface are the limeting factors here.
The sad thing about the 256Gb card is that It's not compatible with the mk III. As I understand it the camera is able to se the full size of the card if formatted in exfat but the camera stops recognizing the card when you have recorded 128Gb of data.
Im not sure if it works with newer canon firmware or if canon plans to adress this...

Truly sad though, 47 min full hd 25fps raw on one card would be killer =)

Baarman

Hi!

Markus, if your opinion is based on Ted Ramasola case, then for me it looks like he experienced this capacity issue only with 5DmkII. I can't find any proofs that this is also present with other 256GB CF cards beside Komputerbay and any other cameras beside 5DmkII. And only one case - Ted Ramasola. AFAIK Canon claims that 5DmkIII camera is perfectly capable to use the whole 256GB CF card. If you have any other details, please let me know. Because my purchase is on hold due to this capacity issue suspicion.

I asked for more details there: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7801.msg90381#msg90381

Thank you!

Markus

Yes it's based on his account. If you try this be sure too update your findings! Hope he's wrong. I was about to buy one from komputerbay myself but in contact with them they said it was only supported by the 1dc so at that point I changed my mind an bought two 128GB card instead.
But I don't know anyone except Ted that has tested this...

matteomaggioni

Quote from: dannyhu on November 23, 2013, 11:00:18 PM
Chris_ I installed the newest nightly build for my 5d mark ii and retested my benchmarks. Customer support emailed me back last night at 2am!!!! asked me to go to Overlay Tab and only have global draw in LiveView. everything else turned off. Movie tab - bitrate set at default, and fps override at 23,976. Movie mode at 1920x1080 24p with global draw off average Benchmark is 38.65MB/s Write and 43.25MB/s Read. In playback mode with global draw on. average Benchmarks are  70.98MB/s Write and 97MB/s Read.

How can I install ML on a 1050x 128gb brand new Komputerbay on my 5D mark II ?
I tried to copy the ML files from a previous  CF running ML and booting the KB card with macboot but ML doesn't boot :(

Thanks

togg

I'm not sure so I'll ask. Is this card fully compatible with raw in the 5D Mark II or there's still structural problems and I have to take another 64GB card?

TheFilmGuy

I recently purchased this last week and so far it is working flawlessly. My question is with the card reader for this card. Will using a USB 2.0 reader on a 3.0 USB port be a problem? This is just temporary until I purchase a 3.0 reader.

Markus

If its USB 2 there is a big chance of it not being compatible with udma7 cards. You will risk corrupting the card. Only use supported readers!

scarluuk

Anyone tried the 64gb 1050x CF card?
it's the same price as the 128gb 1050x CF, so that's a bit confusing but perhaps the speed drastically improves?
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision.
Canon 5D mark III / Canon 24-105mm F4L IS / Samyang 14mm T3.1 / Samyang 24mm T1.5 / Canon 50mm F1.4 / Samyang 85mm T1.5

tifose

i own the 64gb 1050X not sure if im doing the testing Ok
can someone help me setup the Mk3 for best testing
is there some video showing the correct way?