NEW KomputerBay *1050x* 128 GB Card

Started by Kraemer, July 03, 2013, 08:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

If you already bootflaged the camera... any card made bootable should load bins. If you bought 1050x and a new camera then yea, I can see it not working.  If you used the 5DIII alpha which comes as a fir then it would also not work. But otherwise if it reads/writes and you can set the boot sector of the card I can't see any reason why the card won't work.

ted ramasola

Yup. That 128 1050x really got me stumped.
The cameras were already running magic lantern. When the bootable 1050 was inserted. NO ML, you can snap photos and take h264 vid. The files are fine when accessed.

Tried changing partition, lowered the capacity to different sizes, 64gig, 32 gig, same thing. No mL or canon fir detected.

When you do in camera format the camera disregards your custom partition size and re-partitions/format it back to default of 128 gig.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

1%

So it doesn't boot to a black screen? A bootable card with no autoexec.bin should make the camera not boot. Otherwise card isn't bootable.

ted ramasola

No, it doesnt boot to a black screen. the camera would still boot up but like there is no bootflag or fir. It boots up to default canon firmware.
You check in firmware update menu, its the canon firmware not ML.
You press update and it says card does not have firmware and tells you take out card and battery. -this is even when .fir is actually in the card.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

1%

Yes, thats fine, expected behavior.

But how about running an autoexec.bin with a boot flagged camera. .FIR is only for signed all-in-one builds, they are irritating as heck.

armandsla

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 31, 2013, 04:10:23 AM
what camera are you going to use the 1050x on? Based on tests I did with it, magic lantern or canon firmware will not work on this card with the 5D mkII and 7D.
It can be used with the mkIII. In out test ML was installed on the SD card not the CF.

Totally forgot to mention camera I'm using.
Yes, I have 5DmkIII and yes, ~60mb/s speeds came out of ML benchmark test on 5DmkIII

t2scorp

I received a 1050x 128GB today. I tried to fill up the card to see if it will work and got two erros while recording. Early stop (5) This is a bug. Please report it.
Has someone the same problem? Where can I find  a log file to report?

Crop35.com

Anyone tried 1920x508 50/60fps on this 1050x??
Crop35.com - DIY Filmmaking Blog
www.crop35.com
FB: www.facebook.com/Crop35   Twitter: @Crop35com

pascal

I think the best you can get continuous is 1600px 50.

ease

i reach
@50fps - 1920X544 - 2.20 : 1 - Hacked - 6-8-13 build -
I stopped recording @ 20k frames

mhimhi

hi all! i got this card and got a pink frame during recording at 25 fps. i need to print he results of my benchmark, how can i print them? thanks

Markus

Got 110mb/sek write on my new 128Gb 1050x KB -card (Crystal Mark). Was able to to fill up the hole card att full HD 25fps with global draw and zacuto EVF. Tested it a couple of times with different settings and had some stops at the half way full mark. I guess there is a slower area somewhere there in the middle. Haven't tested it without EVF and Global draw yet.

The camera got pretty hot when I filled up the whole card. It reached 73C. Not sure if that kind of temperature are potentially harmful or not. Anyone who knows what kind of temperatures the hardware ar designed to handle?

sammyb

Quote from: Markus on November 13, 2013, 04:09:59 PM
Got 110mb/sek write on my new 128Gb 1050x KB -card (Crystal Mark). Was able to to fill up the hole card att full HD 25fps with global draw and zacuto EVF. Tested it a couple of times with different settings and had some stops at the half way full mark. I guess there is a slower area somewhere there in the middle. Haven't tested it without EVF and Global draw yet.

The camera got pretty hot when I filled up the whole card. It reached 73C. Not sure if that kind of temperature are potentially harmful or not. Anyone who knows what kind of temperatures the hardware ar designed to handle?

I asked about that a few times and the responses I got was the temp averages at about 70ºC on general run n gun shooting on a 5D MK 3 although I'm not sure how reliable the gauge is (can a dev confirm) or what the average temp should be.

My camera always runs warm running the ML Alpha but before any actually harm comes to you're camera it will automaticity shut off like always (I haven't used ML that much yet on my 5D but I'v never had it overheat and shut off).

chris_overseas

I've had a conversation with the tech support at KomputerBay via email to try and clarify a few points that weren't clear to me in this thread. Their customer service is great BTW, they were very fast and helpful when replying to my emails.

In the hopes it can help some others, here is a summary of what I learned:

• USB 2.0 readers and UDMA7 cards are NOT compatible - you will eventually corrupt your data and/or the card itself. You need a USB 3.0 UDMA7 card reader for any UDMA7 card to ensure there is no corruption. Note that it is not just KomputerBay saying this, others are too. For example Fixation (an approved Canon repair centre in London) state the following on their website: "USB2 older readers are NOT compatible with UDMA7 CF cards and may corrupt your data if you attempt to download your card using one of these readers".

• You CAN use a USB 3.0 UDMA7 card reader plugged into a USB 2.0 port to read a UDMA7 CF card. It will of course be slow, but it won't corrupt your data or card.

• While other USB 3.0 readers (non UDMA7) might work, they ONLY recommend true UDMA7 card readers. Eg the Kingston FCR-HS3 Reader is good and fast.

• The original batch of 128GB 1050x CF cards were not able to boot ML or Canon firmware. The newer cards are now able to boot firmware successfully however Amazon still holds mixed stock of old and new cards. You currently need to order from KomputerBay.com directly to guarantee you'll get one of the new ones.

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion regarding these cards.

Based on the above I now feel comfortable ordering a 128GB 1050x card from their website for my 5Dmk3. I'll also be getting a USB 3.0 PCIe hub for my PC (it currently only has USB 2.0) and the Kingston Card Reader to go with it.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

PressureFM

I've been using a FireWire800 card reader for a few years now, no problems with any CF cards (this is true even for UDMA7 cards).

Midphase

Who makes it? I've been looking for a FW800 CF card reader for a while now and can't find one!

PressureFM

Quote from: Midphase on November 14, 2013, 06:48:53 PM
Who makes it? I've been looking for a FW800 CF card reader for a while now and can't find one!

I believe it is called Sandisk Extreme FireWire Reader :)

Baarman

Quote from: meauounji on July 27, 2013, 06:38:00 AM
Actually, one more caveat that I found:

When the cards are formatted in camera in FAT, I am only able to record to about 8:30 minutes. The files would not span past 10 pieces. (The last one ends with 09) This is very consistent.

If I format the card as exFAT, then I am able to record one ~128GB file to the card, non-stop.

This basically means I have to remove the card and delete the files on the computer every time I want to empty the cards. If you're using a mac, remember to empty the Trash Can after deleting the files, otherwise the camera will still think it's full.

Hi,

I have Komputerbay 1000x 128GB card and 5DmkIII is capable to continuously record raw video only ~8 minutes, right after that recording speed drops from ~90MB/s to 1-2MB/s and then the it starts to slowly recover (up to ~45MB/s) before another ~8 minutes arrives and then the speed drops again to ~1-2MB/s. Any ideas why it behaves like that? Card is formatted in exFat filesystem.
Also, it is weird that although frame dropping is not allowed in the ML menu, the video recording goes on even with ~1-2MB/sec. And not just for some seconds but until the card fills up. Is it because of buffer size and capability to keep the recording alive? Doesn't seem very logical. I haven't checked this specific video data in my iMac yet, but Im pretty sure that the part that comes after 8minutes is not 24fps but probably a lot less. 

By the way, this is the 9th 128GB 1000x Komputerbay card that I have got from them. I purchased 3 cards at the end of summer and so far I have sent them back them three times (last time only sent back 2 cards out of 3 as this one seems to be almost operational. If not count the ~8minutes recording time issue). Main problems were with low recording speed (~60MB/s), strange artefacts on the frames and also becoming non recordable after connecting to iMac via UDMA7 CF card reader and copying the data or experiencing power loss during recording in 5DmkIII (battery run out). Komputerbay denied to refund my money but just keeps sending replacement cards but so far almost all of them have been defected. As I'm from Estonia, sending cards back to them and waiting for new ones takes usually at least a month, so you may imagine my disappointment.

Markus

Quote from: Baarman on November 18, 2013, 02:12:19 AM
Hi,

I have Komputerbay 1000x 128GB card and 5DmkIII is capable to continuously record raw video only ~8 minutes, right after that recording speed drops from ~90MB/s to 1-2MB/s and then the it starts to slowly recover (up to ~45MB/s) before another ~8 minutes arrives and then the speed drops again to ~1-2MB/s. Any ideas why it behaves like that? Card is formatted in exFat filesystem.
Also, it is weird that although frame dropping is not allowed in the ML menu, the video recording goes on even with ~1-2MB/sec. And not just for some seconds but until the card fills up. Is it because of buffer size and capability to keep the recording alive? Doesn't seem very logical. I haven't checked this specific video data in my iMac yet, but Im pretty sure that the part that comes after 8minutes is not 24fps but probably a lot less. 

By the way, this is the 9th 128GB 1000x Komputerbay card that I have got from them. I purchased 3 cards at the end of summer and so far I have sent them back them three times (last time only sent back 2 cards out of 3 as this one seems to be almost operational. If not count the ~8minutes recording time issue). Main problems were with low recording speed (~60MB/s), strange artefacts on the frames and also becoming non recordable after connecting to iMac via UDMA7 CF card reader and copying the data or experiencing power loss during recording in 5DmkIII (battery run out). Komputerbay denied to refund my money but just keeps sending replacement cards but so far almost all of them have been defected. As I'm from Estonia, sending cards back to them and waiting for new ones takes usually at least a month, so you may imagine my disappointment about.

By the way, I have had

Are u sure that 8min thing isn't a ML bug? I get the same thing on my 128gb card but if i turn off peaking I can fill up the hole card with global draw on and my zacuto evf connected.

Baarman

I'll try again but AFAIK it didn't matter if I had peaking on or off. You mean I should try disabling only focus peaking and remain rest of the Global Draw ON?

Markus

Try first with global draw on but disable all features, if that works enable the ones you wanna use one by one to see if any of them make the continuous recording unstable. Also benchmark your card using Cristal Mark or a similar program on your pc to get an idea of the speed of your card. My card that works does 110mb seq write on my usb 3 kingston reader.

Baarman

Hi. Just tried again. 5DmkIII, 1080p, 25fps. Constant writing speed ~92MB/sec until exactly 8 minutes and 5 seconds just like the last time. In case of 24fps it`s always 8:25.  Then it drops to 0 and starts to very slowly recover. But recording doesn´t end and frames are not being dropped until the card is full. Interesting and weird. Seems like ML bug or Komputerbay 128GB 1000X defect. Global draw was ON this time, but all the features within it were turned OFF.

About the card itself - ML write speed test shows that the card is able to record around ~75MB/sec but in reality I´m gettin much better results.  I was able to record 2048 x 1152 24fps in crop mode (Globaldraw OFF, frames forced to 24fps in ML) exactly 7 minutes and 24 seconds and then the speed dropped to 0, just like with 1080p. Constant write speed until then was 94,2 - 96,3MB. This happened twice in a row. So, we may assume that the these record durations are somehow related to the recording format/setup.

I´ll try the Crystalmark a bit later today and let you know.

Markus

Im experiencing the exact same thing. If someone have a 128gb card of another brand and could test this we could see if it has to do with ml or komputerbay. My guess though is that it is a Ml-bug. Since the card continues recording it clearly writes fast enough. Maybe i should turn on buffer indicators and see how they behave at the 8min mark.

I think bench-marking the card outside the camera is more helpful, in camera is always slower though to cpu bottleneck. My 64gb 1000x cards gets 114 in sustained write in crystal mark so they are still a bit faster than my 1050x card but not by much. It's unfortunate that komputerbay hasn't released the 1200x version of the 128gb a bit more headroom would be nice.

chris_overseas

[disclaimer: the following is just my take on the situation without knowing the code or having done much raw recording myself]

The recording not stopping even though frames are clearly being dropped sounds like a bug. It sounds like the stall happens after the same amount of data is written each time:

1080p @ 24fps, 8:25:   ((8 + 25/60) * 60 * 24) * 1920 * 1080 / (1024^3) = 23.4 gigapixels
1080p @ 25fps, 8:05:   ((8 + 5/60) * 60 * 25) * 1920 * 1080 / (1024^3) = 23.4 gigapixels
1152p @ 24fps, 7:24:   ((7 + 24/60) * 60 * 24) * 2048 * 1152 / (1024^3) = 23.4 gigapixels

Do you always start with a freshly cleaned/formatted card before testing this? If so, try leaving a previously stalled recording on the card then try recording again. If there is a bad region on the CF card then you shouldn't see the problem with the second recording. If you see it after the same duration then it seems it must be a software issue. Internal buffers might be slowly filling up, there might be a memory leak of some sort, or a data structure might end up performing badly (eg Hash map with poor hashing algo). Any of those could conceivably mean the loss of frames doesn't get detected as a result of some lag.

Does the recording duration change if you change the amount of memory available (eg by enabling/disabling additional modules)?

Another problem could be the camera heating up however given the consistency of the above numbers that seems a little unlikely. It should also be pretty easy to test for.

Edit: I see Markus has the same problem which makes it much more likely this is a bug in ML. I recently ordered a 128GB 1080x KomputerBay card that should hopefully be arriving in the next day or two - I'll test it and see if I get the same issue.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

Markus

It doesn't drop frames after 8mins Its just the indicator that's acting strange after that mark. It has stopped recording at that point when i had peaking on though...