NEW KomputerBay *1050x* 128 GB Card

Started by Kraemer, July 03, 2013, 08:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tronics

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on July 30, 2013, 12:14:46 PM
There is no democratization on quality. This is a well established market rule, and forever will be.
Look at the car industry. Safety of a 13000 car is going towards the same as a 40000 car. At least with European crash tests.
Look at mobile phones. It gets cheaper and cheaper and the quality is really all there. I have a 150 Euro Android. But I had also a Iphone 4s and a Windows 8 one in use. It is at the same stage at the most important parameters.

You may be right that this card is not good. I have not tested it.
But the price of these cards is NOT because it is so expensive to make them. It is only a blown up price.
Manufacturing one of this cards cost 20 USD in China by both Lexar and Komputerbay.

pascal

Quote from: tronics on July 30, 2013, 01:47:39 PM
To clarify, this only goes for the new 128GB 1050x card. It could destroy it.
Can you specify this please?

tronics

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on July 30, 2013, 12:17:44 PM
Lexar card = good --> Lexar card + Lexar reader = Perfect.    Many thanks !  ;)
dlrpgmsvc can you please post your success story here, it would be helpful: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7383.0
Thanks

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: tronics on July 30, 2013, 03:31:29 PM
dlrpgmsvc can you please post your success story here, it would be helpful: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7383.0
Thanks

I have no 5dmk3! Only a 550d and a 50d... not applicable as for your thread title, right?
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

tronics

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on August 01, 2013, 04:37:58 AM
I have no 5dmk3! Only a 550d and a 50d... not applicable as for your thread title, right?
Ok, thank you. Yes, it would be ideal to keep that thread with the 5dmkIII.
I hope to be able to post something in there tomorrow. But will for sure also report if the card fails. :) 

MRozier

Hi I've just purchased 4 of these from 1050x 128gb cards from Komputerbay, but I'm trying to find a reliable way to test them and to find out if theyre a god send or duds.  Some are benchmarking them at 24p others 25p, some with live view and global draw on, some with both off.  Could someone give me a few ideas as to the settings I should be selecting when benchmarking these cards and ill post up the results I'm getting. 

I know the easy answer is just shoot until it fills the card and if it does without dropped frames its a winner, but there's so many options it'd be good to know what to benchmark it against (eg. Some people are shooting at 1920x1080, others more cropped, some 25p, others 24 etc etc).  If I knew a single set of standards to select it'd make comparing the cards much easier :) thanks in advance for your help! :)

tronics

Quote from: MRozier on August 02, 2013, 01:05:41 AM
Hi I've just purchased 4 of these from 1050x 128gb cards from Komputerbay, but I'm trying to find a reliable way to test them and to find out if theyre a god send or duds.  Some are benchmarking them at 24p others 25p, some with live view and global draw on, some with both off.  Could someone give me a few ideas as to the settings I should be selecting when benchmarking these cards and ill post up the results I'm getting. 

I know the easy answer is just shoot until it fills the card and if it does without dropped frames its a winner, but there's so many options it'd be good to know what to benchmark it against (eg. Some people are shooting at 1920x1080, others more cropped, some 25p, others 24 etc etc).  If I knew a single set of standards to select it'd make comparing the cards much easier :) thanks in advance for your help! :)

Make sure to test over the whole 128GB as behaviour may change.
Let it run 25p all through when that works 3 times I think you should be fine. Global draw can be helpful when you have a card that allows using it .. makes you loose a few frames normally.

Best Regards

MRozier

Okay cool, so if I test each card by recording 25p, 1920x1080 with global draw off and it manages it three times that's a good benchmark to the 1050x cards doing what they're supposed to do?

MRozier

Well bad news.  None of the four Komputerbay 1050x 128gb cards I bought are able to record at 1920x1080 25p without dropping hundreds of frames :-( Looks like these are going to have to go back, unless anyone has any suggestions?

crazyrunner33

I would send them back and get a few of the 64 gb cards that have the SM2236AC chipset.  You'll find out if it has this chipset or not when running a benchmark, the chipset is displayed.  I can run around 30 seconds before dropping frames with 1080p @ 29.97fps with global draw on and continuous with the hacked preview when using these cards.  1080p @ 23.976 is continuous along with 2K video at the same framerate.

I plan on sticking with these cards until someone releases a 128 gb that is reliable for 1080p @ 29.97 fps.
5D Mark III, 7D

roluf

Quote from: MRozier on August 02, 2013, 10:14:43 PM
Well bad news.  None of the four Komputerbay 1050x 128gb cards I bought are able to record at 1920x1080 25p without dropping hundreds of frames :-( Looks like these are going to have to go back, unless anyone has any suggestions?

Did you try to optimize the alignment. I used the "Paragon Alignment Tool" and it gave me nice speed boost ;)
Sadly ML doesn't run from the 1050x on my 50D :(

BigChip

Hi guys, just wanted to drop a warning to ML 5D Mk II users. ***Beware of Komputerbay Cards***. I recently purchased the KOMPUTERBAY 64GB Professional COMPACT FLASH CARD CF 1000X 150MB/s Extreme Speed from an Ebay retailer with an excellent rating. I used this card 4-5 times in all manner of modes (using the RAW hack, with ML's intervalometer for RAW timelapse capture and standard 1080 video mode with ML wiped from the card).

I inserted the card into the camera a few weeks ago and got a 'format card' error. The camera could not format the card. Popped the card into an external CF reader and the card could not be read. Tried a different card (Lexar 1000x UDMA 7) in the cam and got the same error.

Sent it into camera shop for repair after trying and failing to problem solve the issue (no bent pins etc). Tech in store conducted a quick test and reported the internal card reader of 5D mk II was fried. Went to Canon UK for repair and this POS card has now cost me €450 in repairs ($600). Turns out the card also blew my card reader so round that off to a cool $650.

From extensive reading it seems Lexar UDMA 7 cards are getting less failures than Sandisk Extreme Pro once firmware is updated to most current version. This issue also very nearly destroyed data shot in a one-off way for a client, took my camera out of action for 6 weeks causing me to use my lower spec b-cam for two other jobs and has been a very stressful road. I'm willing to take a risk using ML on paid gigs for the control it gives me but I won't be so stupid to use knock-off cards in the future, cheaper to cough up and buy Canon-approved cards from a respected seller IMHO. Just wanted to share with you guys so no-one else has to go through this.

Redrocks

Have you contacted Komputerbay about this? I've had 2 of those cards since June and no problems thus far, although I got mine from the Kompbay shop on Amazon.

AnotherDave

How do you know that it was the card that did this? 

Sganzerla

My Komputerbay 64GB 1000x card is a little taller than my other CF cards.
It is harder to put it trough my MKIII and CF Reader and I can bet that a wrong insert is the possible cause of the frying the camera.
Not that this is your fault. I'm extra careful with mine here because of this.

tronics

Ok, I received my KomputerBay 128 GB 1050x card.
I did not do benchmark only regular recording. And I used the Transcend USB3.0 card reader.

I can record with Global Draw On, focus assist, all hacks on, 1920x1080p25 continuous and also 1920x1152p25 continuous.

I'm from europe so 25p is really good to have and our standard to work with.
I was hoping to get 30p for slowmo recordings of nature settings (where there is no electrical light) but this is not really possible - 20-30 seconds only.. for me this is not really useful but to some it might be.

The size of the card is amazing.. a lot of footage fits on there. Offloading is also fast.
For now it seems actually very good.
I need to try more before I can definitly say if the card is really as reliable as it seems.

When I record 13000 frames however after spawning over several 4 GB files the file the recording suddenly stops and cannot be used at all at the raw2cdng.1.2.1
I think that could also be ML. Hmm normally I would never record this long though.

--

I had problems in the beginning. Suddenly dropped frames although buffer was showing continuous ok.
So I felt I cannot trust the card and was a bit sad.

But what helped was that I set the image size in Photomode FROM Large RAW + Large jpg fine TO Small jpg compressed!! From then on I never had a dropped frame.
Then I updated to ML version 2.August, that might have helped as well but I think it was the former.

Best Regards

BigChip

Quote from: Redrocks on August 04, 2013, 03:12:14 PM
Have you contacted Komputerbay about this? I've had 2 of those cards since June and no problems thus far, although I got mine from the Kompbay shop on Amazon.

Sorry for delay. I have contacted the e-bay retailer to confirm that he is a licensed re-seller of Komputerbay cards and that the 'lifetime guarantee' advertised on his site is with Komputerbay rather than him. I am now waiting for the camera shop to forward me on all communications they have had with Canon UK as well as their repair report. When I have all this documentation I will contact Komputerbay so that I will be able to make as strong a case as possible. There is no hard case and they could simply tell me to take a walk (which is what I'm expecting). All I can say is that the camera was working. I inserted the Komputerbay card into the camera, and without even recording any data to the card (just powered up the camera) camera is not working.

I know they're a good deal but it's just not worth the risk to me so I have since shelled out $400+ for two Lexar 1000x 32gig cards for piece of mind alone.

BigChip

Quote from: AnotherDave on August 04, 2013, 06:35:48 PM
How do you know that it was the card that did this?

Fair question and one that has been troubling me. All I can go on is my personal experience with other cards and the camera. I have shot quite a lot of footage and timelapse material with the camera considering it was only purchased 3-4 months ago (one of the last from B & H). I have used ML more often than not with no major issues. I have had no issues with other cards. The fact that the camera was working with a Lexar card just hours before, and when i booted it up with the formatted Komputerbay card the card reader fault occurred is the most direct reason the card is suspect. The fact that it also took my external card reader out when I tried to format the Komputerbay card and took a very long time to boot up on yet another internal card reader (on a Windows work station) all point to card fault in my mind.

That said here are nagging questions- is this card too fast/ large for a 5D MK II? Could the camera already have had a fault in it's card reader? Maybe this is a knock-off card in some way as I did not purchase it directly from Komputerbay?

Notes that counter these questions- Card appears to have also caused a short in external card reader. Camera was in working order even with a heavy transfer load (ML RAW hack, RAW timelapse capture) with Lexar cards and had been in heavy use with no issues prior to this.

Of course without any electronics training the only way I can test it is to put it back in the camera and let it break it again to confirm that the Komputerbay card is to blame. Obviously I am not going to do it so my best hope is to send it to Komputerbay for testing along with supporting documentation and hope they find something out of the ordinary and pay for the damages.

'And maybe after I've pulled off that miracle, I'll go and punch out God'.

N.Mendes

Hello all, seems like these new KomputerBay are worst than the older ones  in term of reliability..

I'm about to buy all equipment for Raw on my 5d3, what do you guys recommend me (i never installed Ml on my 5d3, so don't know yet how it works)..

-1 sd card (to put the ML file in) which one?

- 1000x Cf cards (i think i will go for 2 Lexar 1000x 64gb, the most reliables am i wrong?)

- card reader (wchich one? I heard a lot about the importance of a good one)

-monitor (what do you think about the smallhd ac7? Does it work well with the Ml Raw, and is it 1080p)?

Thanks for all your replies and have a great day!

N.Mendes

HugoFilipe

Is there any success story of anyone with a KomputerBay 1050X 128GB card on a Lexar 3.0 USB reader?
I have one of these cards and only this card reader, but I'm scared of inserting it.

Thanks

ted ramasola

Quote from: HugoFilipe on August 24, 2013, 02:38:59 AM
Is there any success story of anyone with a KomputerBay 1050X 128GB card on a Lexar 3.0 USB reader?
I have one of these cards and only this card reader, but I'm scared of inserting it.

Thanks

According to tech support from computer bay; DO NOT use lexar card readers as it has compatibility issues with their cf cards. I used a cheaper SIIG brand usb 3.0 reader and it works fine.

They recommended the Kingston FCR-HS3 reader. My cheap SIIG is ok for me.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

ted ramasola

Quote from: N.Mendes on August 15, 2013, 06:31:42 PM
Hello all, seems like these new KomputerBay are worst than the older ones  in term of reliability..

I'm about to buy all equipment for Raw on my 5d3, what do you guys recommend me (i never installed Ml on my 5d3, so don't know yet how it works)..

-1 sd card (to put the ML file in) which one?

- 1000x Cf cards (i think i will go for 2 Lexar 1000x 64gb, the most reliables am i wrong?)

- card reader (wchich one? I heard a lot about the importance of a good one)

-monitor (what do you think about the smallhd ac7? Does it work well with the Ml Raw, and is it 1080p)?

Thanks for all your replies and have a great day!

I recommend the 64 or 32 gig 1000X komputerbay. Tested them and they are at par with the lexar, which i also have, in speed. The 128gig 1000X also works with raw video though it is slightly slower. The 1050x works also with 5d3 that we tested.

For CF reader, use USB 3.0 and support for udma7. They recommend the kingston fcr-hs3, I got a cheaper SIIG brand usb3.0 reader and it works fine. According to KB tech support, do not use the reader from lexar as it is not compatible with their cf cards.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

armandsla

The thing is, Lexar 1000x cards are not 100% safe deal either.

I owned a Lexar 64gb 1000x and it did ~60mb/s. I couldn't get 1080p24 continuously, even at 2.35 ratio it started to drop frames after ~600.

I sold it and now am waiting for KB 1050x. Hopefully it will do better.

ted ramasola

Quote from: armandsla on August 31, 2013, 12:41:53 AM
The thing is, Lexar 1000x cards are not 100% safe deal either.

I owned a Lexar 64gb 1000x and it did ~60mb/s. I couldn't get 1080p24 continuously, even at 2.35 ratio it started to drop frames after ~600.

I sold it and now am waiting for KB 1050x. Hopefully it will do better.

what camera are you going to use the 1050x on? Based on tests I did with it, magic lantern or canon firmware will not work on this card with the 5D mkII and 7D.
It can be used with the mkIII. In out test ML was installed on the SD card not the CF.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas