NEW KomputerBay *1050x* 128 GB Card

Started by Kraemer, July 03, 2013, 08:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alvink

UPDATE:

So after talking to the tech support, they have advised me to keep the drop frames option off and allow the camera to record full 128gb.

Here are some stills taken through out the process.

First Drop Frame at 3383 (1.5GB)  - 93.3MB/S

At 12788 frame (44GB) the MB/S dropped alot (4.8 mb/s) but still only at 28 drop frames...(Weird)

At 32641 frame (112GB) the MB/S came back up a little (23.9 mb/s) and the drop frame is still at 28...(Very Weird)

At 35161 frame (121GB) the MB/S was at (28.5mb/s) and the drop frames went up to 299.
Bench Mark Test:

Bench Mark test, after recording the 128gb and deleting the file. (The card is very warm at this point.)

Results were very disappointing...

Another Bench mark test after dumping 2 more 50GB recordings.  This is as warm as it gets...

Results are still no good....  To be honest I don't believe in a product which requires you to WARM up the card before shooting.....
Other user's Bench Mark:

Here is a fellow KomputerBay 128gb 1050x card user.  He said he bench-marked this from a cold boot..(He even had Global Draw: ON!!!)

I will consult with KomputerBay with my results as they said my card does not have a problem....

More updates coming up.

ted ramasola

@alvink,

For the mkIII the Magic lantern is NOT in your CF card but It is in the SD card, is that correct?

I ask because sadly for the 5DmkII we CANNOT use these high capacity cards since we cant bootflag it.

I have both 1000x and 1050X for testing but we cant get the 5D to see the .fir files, even if we use EOScard.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

meauounji

Just wanted to throw in my two cents. I ordered two of these the day they became available on Amazon.

Both cards are able to record ~24 minutes/full card at 1920x1080/24fps with no drop frames on the 5Dmk3. I also do not have to turn on any memory hacks or slow down Canon menus, and was able to keep Global Draw with live waveform monitor on (I don't use anything else)

Obviously, not everyone is getting these results, so try at your own risk and use your credit card instead of cash/debit card so you don't tie up your cash on trying products that you might have to send back. The inconsistency doesn't surprise me since I wasn't able to record more than 30-60 seconds at a time with the 1000x cards (I tried 3) when other people seem to be having much better results with them.

ted ramasola

Quote from: meauounji on July 27, 2013, 06:22:11 AM

Both cards are able to record ~24 minutes/full card at 1920x1080/24fps with no drop frames on the 5Dmk3. I also do not have to turn on any memory hacks or slow down Canon menus, and was able to keep Global Draw with live waveform monitor on (I don't use anything else)

Did you use the komputerbay CF cards to run ML in your mkIII ? or did you use an SD card?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

meauounji

Quote from: ted ramasola on July 27, 2013, 06:33:31 AM
Did you use the komputerbay CF cards to run ML in your mkIII ? or did you use an SD card?

SD card.

meauounji

Actually, one more caveat that I found:

When the cards are formatted in camera in FAT, I am only able to record to about 8:30 minutes. The files would not span past 10 pieces. (The last one ends with 09) This is very consistent.

If I format the card as exFAT, then I am able to record one ~128GB file to the card, non-stop.

This basically means I have to remove the card and delete the files on the computer every time I want to empty the cards. If you're using a mac, remember to empty the Trash Can after deleting the files, otherwise the camera will still think it's full.

ted ramasola

Quote from: meauounji on July 27, 2013, 06:38:00 AM

When the cards are formatted in camera in FAT, I am only able to record to about 8:30 minutes. The files would not span past 10 pieces. (The last one ends with 09) This is very consistent.

If I format the card as exFAT, then I am able to record one ~128GB file to the card, non-stop.

This basically means I have to remove the card and delete the files on the computer every time I want to empty the cards. If you're using a mac, remember to empty the Trash Can after deleting the files, otherwise the camera will still think it's full.

Thank you for confirming. I am doing some tests with the mkII (2) and you confirm that those using the 128gig CF cards for mkIII (3) are using the SD for ML NOT the CF.

I don't think you can use the 128gig CF to install ML, with 64gig below you could.

The 5dmkII (2) does not support exfat, only fat32, so files are always spanned.  I'll try to see if the 64 gig could exceed 10 spanned files on the mkII.

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

This basically means I have to remove the card and delete the files on the computer every time I want to empty the cards.

Can't you use the ML file browser to delete the one 128gb file ?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

meauounji

Quote from: ted ramasola on July 27, 2013, 07:17:15 AM
Can't you use the ML file browser to delete the one 128gb file ?

Yes, but in real life, outside of testing environments, you're going to have a lot of smaller files. Maybe 3-4 on an average narrative style or music video shoot. As far as I can tell, you have to individually delete each file in the ML browser then shut down the camera and restart it back up in order for it to recognize that the card isn't full any more. It's much faster to delete the files then clear the trash can since you have to be on the computer to offload anyway.

I totally could be doing something wrong, but this is the way it works for me right now.

ted ramasola

Quote from: meauounji on July 27, 2013, 07:26:46 AM
Yes, but as far as I can tell, you have to individually delete each file (which could be a lot) and then shut down the camera and restart it back up in order for it to recognize that the card isn't full any more. It's much faster to delete the files then clear the thrash can since you have to be on the computer to offload anyway.

I totally could be doing something wrong, but this is the way it works for me right now.

but your saying that if you are in exfat, the file can be one big 128gb file, can ML file browser delete this single 128gig file? my understanding is, exfat allows you to overcome the 4gig limit. But you can't use in camera format since making your CF exfat was done on your computer not camera, right?

and if you use fat32, which is the default of the camera, your files are spanned over several .R00-.R01 and so on, but since this is camera default you can use canon menu FORMAT to erase the files easily.

But either way, you have to take out your card anyway to offload them. I'm just curious, what works on the mkIII, and also if your in the field and need to delete a wrong take.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

I just tested now, the 5DmkII can record on my 64gig continuously til full, this means its 15 separate 4gig files, or to be exact, 3.99 gig each.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

meauounji

Quote from: ted ramasola on July 27, 2013, 07:39:08 AM
I just tested now, the 5DmkII can record on my 64gig continuously til full, this means its 15 separate 4gig files, or to be exact, 3.99 gig each.

Interesting... I wonder what the difference is. I would much rather record to multiple 4GB files and be able to format in-camera than having one file that I have to delete in a special way. The exFAT method doesn't match normal 5D workflows and could cause problems if working with assistants who aren't familiar with ML.

alvink

Ya I might have to exchange my card, we'll see what tech support says about my new tests on monday. 

I installed ML on a SD card and I use the CF card for recording. (CF card is formatted to exfat).   From my results, I feel that the card is acting really weird...random spikes in mb/s and when the card is in the middle of the recording of 128gb.. it would drop down to 4 mb/s...and go back up to 28 mb/s..... really weird... as those numbers aren't even the minimum mb/s in recording one frame at that resolution.   Hearing that you guys can record 1920x1080 continuous for 128gb without card warm up makes me feel that my card is gimped.

Thanks for sharing.

meauounji

Quote from: alvink on July 27, 2013, 11:44:48 AM
From my results, I feel that the card is acting really weird...random spikes in mb/s and when the card is in the middle of the recording of 128gb.. it would drop down to 4 mb/s...and go back up to 28 mb/s..... really weird... as those numbers aren't even the minimum mb/s in recording one frame at that resolution.   

Actually, my onscreen readout is doing that too. I think the lowest it goes is 14MB/s though. I don't really understand what's happening there, but it's recording fine so I'm not too worried.

meauounji

Quote from: ted ramasola on July 27, 2013, 07:33:02 AM
but your saying that if you are in exfat, the file can be one big 128gb file, can ML file browser delete this single 128gig file?

Yes. That's what I'm saying. But it's not useful in real life because you'd almost never record a 24 minute take while shooting raw, and even if you are, it's still harder to delete in camera than the computer. If ML has an exFAT format command, then that would solve it.

N.Mendes

So this 1050x card is lottery too right? Damn...

Does someone tested the 1000x v2 ? Maybe results will be more reliable..

ted ramasola

Quote from: N.Mendes on July 28, 2013, 08:35:50 AM

Does someone tested the 1000x v2 ? Maybe results will be more reliable..
the v2 1000x is what i have. It does not work on the mkII for ML. only for native h264.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

N.Mendes

Thanks Ted, did you try it on a 5d3?

tobyloc

I've just been testing my 128gb 1050x card and it's a real dud, I'm going to send it back. I can't get the Magic Lantern files on it so it won't work on its own, others are having that problem too, which means mine will only work on a 5D3 as I can run it off the SD card. Even that doesn't seem to want to work correctly as I can only get it working if I have ML files on the CF card too but it keeps asking me to format one of the cards. When I do get it running it's slower than my 64GB 1000x card which isn't even a very fast instance of that card. The 126GB 1050x hits about 77MB/s-82MB/s and my 64GB hits averages around 85MB/s. The thing is it will be going at say 80MB/s then suddenly skip a frame, I think the speed suddenly drops out as others have mentioned. So, it's either faulty, slow or both. I tried the 128GB 1000x before this and it was slow so I returned it but it at least didn't have these other problems. In the words of Kevin Sorbo - disappointed!

alvink

Quote from: tobyloc on July 28, 2013, 04:53:20 PM
I've just been testing my 128gb 1050x card and it's a real dud, I'm going to send it back. I can't get the Magic Lantern files on it so it won't work on its own, others are having that problem too, which means mine will only work on a 5D3 as I can run it off the SD card. Even that doesn't seem to want to work correctly as I can only get it working if I have ML files on the CF card too but it keeps asking me to format one of the cards. When I do get it running it's slower than my 64GB 1000x card which isn't even a very fast instance of that card. The 126GB 1050x hits about 77MB/s-82MB/s and my 64GB hits averages around 85MB/s. The thing is it will be going at say 80MB/s then suddenly skip a frame, I think the speed suddenly drops out as others have mentioned. So, it's either faulty, slow or both. I tried the 128GB 1000x before this and it was slow so I returned it but it at least didn't have these other problems. In the words of Kevin Sorbo - disappointed!

Sorry to hear that you are having the same problem as I am.. ya I would  be recording fine at one point then it would all of a sudden drop frame.  Others have suggested me to install the ML onto the CF card and run it off that as they said that worked for them... So I gave that a try... installed bootable version of ML on to the cf card and tried to boot it.  Had no luck, my 5DMK 3 didn't recognize it for some reason...  So I will be returning the card... still debating if i should exchange for a new one or just return it all together.

meauounji

Quote from: N.Mendes on July 28, 2013, 08:35:50 AM

Seems that way, unfortunately.

tronics

Is there any save bet for 1080p25 as of now from this or other manufacturers?
Are the most recent 64GB 1000x the best ones?

I look forward a lot to the next generation 1200x or whatever it will be called.
Right now I'm waiting for my 1050x.

ted ramasola

Quote from: tronics on July 29, 2013, 09:40:07 AM
Is there any save bet for 1080p25 as of now from this or other manufacturers?
Are the most recent 64GB 1000x the best ones?

I look forward a lot to the next generation 1200x or whatever it will be called.
Right now I'm waiting for my 1050x.

I hope your camera is NOT the mkII or I hope the card you ordered is NOT 128gig.

we just tested the 1000x and 1050x sent by komputerbay which they allowed us to test. I also brought it with me to a meetup with HDSLR shooters to test on another camera.

If your using mkII, tough luck, It won't recognize ML on the card.

They work though on th mkIII since ML is running on the SD card NOT the CF.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

tronics

Quote from: ted ramasola on July 29, 2013, 10:02:02 AM
If your using mkII, tough luck, It won't recognize ML on the card.

They work though on th mkIII since ML is running on the SD card NOT the CF.

I have just changed for the 5d mkIII.
Yes, thank you I know about using the SD Card.

My question is rather which card to get because at the moment I do not have any usable card only a Sandisk 600x.
I would love to have a go with a card that gives me no problems until the next generation is out.

tronics

This tip might be true or not.. but it seems reasonable:

If having problems with dropped frames try to set the size for the Photofunctionality to JPG large or even small.
Reason: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5656.msg45471#msg45471