NEW KomputerBay *1050x* 128 GB Card

Started by Kraemer, July 03, 2013, 08:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RenatoPhoto

Benchmark was developed to measure maximum speed performance at different cluster size.

I believe during playback-benchmarking there is less use of the CPU so that the highest recording speed can be obtained and compared to what the manufacturer claims.  If you benchmark in movie mode then there are a lot of settings that can slow down recording so it is not recommended to test in this mode.

To Benchmark you card properly for MAX speed compatible with ML:

1. Go to ML and turn OFF Global Draw
2. Do not test while LV is active, meaning not in video mode or photo with Live View Mode.  This is refereed to testing in Playback mode
3. Make sure your Camera Auto Power off is disabled in Canon menu.
4. Go to the ML menu and find the Debug menu and then the Benchmark, and select Card R/W benchmark (5min)

When the benchmark has finished ML will automatically record the bitmap image in your card.

VERY IMPORTANT

Make sure that in Canon Menu:
Image Quality = Raw for (5D3, 650D,  ....) some others may be better in jpg
Auto Lighting Optimizer = OFF
Long exp. noise reduction = OFF
High ISO speed NR = OFF
Highlight tone priority = OFF
Multiple Exposure = Disable
HDR Mode = Disable HDR

and.. to get the zoom function to work in LV you need to "Enable" Live View shooting  and also AF mode set to "Live mode", of course this is done in Canon menu.  check your camera specifics to the zoom function working in Live View
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

dolina

In a nutshell, as the thread is 9 pages long, does the 128GB 1050x cards do the following?

1) Consistently surpass 67MB/s write  on your EOS body & card reader transfers?
2) Consistently surpass 105MB/s read on your EOS body & card reader transfers?
3) Have you returned any Komputerbay card?
4) When receiving the returns did they break also?
5) Any chance it can surpass 90MB/s read/writes on your EOS body & card reader transfers? 90MB/s read/writes are what my Photofast 533x Plus cards can do.

I need to ask this as my order will land within the US and will be hand carried to the Philippines by a buddy.

Your feedback is most valuable as I have noticed that ML users have a significantly higher end requirement than I do so if it is up to standards for all ML users then it is more than useful to me. My primary use would be stills at the high-speed continuous drive mode of 6-12fps.

I will be using the card on a stock 7D, 5D2, 5D3, 1D4 and 1DX with a Lexar® Professional USB 3.0 Dual-Slot Reader attached to Macs with 10.9.x and 10.8.x

====

Alternatively have you guys tried 128GB RiData 1000x CompactFlash cards?

ScaSer

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on January 09, 2014, 01:20:39 PM
Benchmark was developed to measure maximum speed performance at different cluster size.

I believe during playback-benchmarking there is less use of the CPU so that the highest recording speed can be obtained and compared to what the manufacturer claims.  If you benchmark in movie mode then there are a lot of settings that can slow down recording so it is not recommended to test in this mode.

To Benchmark you card properly for MAX speed compatible with ML:

1. Go to ML and turn OFF Global Draw
2. Do not test while LV is active, meaning not in video mode or photo with Live View Mode.  This is refereed to testing in Playback mode
3. Make sure your Camera Auto Power off is disabled in Canon menu.
4. Go to the ML menu and find the Debug menu and then the Benchmark, and select Card R/W benchmark (5min)

When the benchmark has finished ML will automatically record the bitmap image in your card.

VERY IMPORTANT

Make sure that in Canon Menu:
Image Quality = Raw for (5D3, 650D,  ....) some others may be better in jpg
Auto Lighting Optimizer = OFF
Long exp. noise reduction = OFF
High ISO speed NR = OFF
Highlight tone priority = OFF
Multiple Exposure = Disable
HDR Mode = Disable HDR

and.. to get the zoom function to work in LV you need to "Enable" Live View shooting  and also AF mode set to "Live mode", of course this is done in Canon menu.  check your camera specifics to the zoom function working in Live View

this was just a great post.. after making your setup of my 5D3 i got theese results.. i think i should be quite pleased?

Komputerbay 1000x 128gb card bought a week ago.

How do i force the camera to use the best buffer size? or will it do that auto?

but then my recording looks like this... is the green line the buffer?

-Kasper

Canon 5D mark III

Markus

ScaSer: Is that results from a 1000x or 1050x komputerbay? Looks really good! My 1050x don't benchmark that high. heard something about them upgrading the 128gb 1000x awhile back. Are new 1000x 128gb now faster than 1050x?

ScaSer

its a new 1000x 128gb, like i wrote  :P

but my recording still crash... is my setup wrong in my RAW .MLV setup?
-Kasper

Canon 5D mark III

Nicolai1227

I have a upcoming shoot in less than 2Weeks, we want to shoot @ 50fps. So far I am using my KB 64GB 1000x which works fine @50fps upscaling to 1920*818.

I am not sure if I should get the same card again or maybe use the 128GB 1050x? Anyone tried 50fps or compared the 2 cards?

jonnyginese

Quote from: Nicolai1227 on February 11, 2014, 02:16:31 PM
I have a upcoming shoot in less than 2Weeks, we want to shoot @ 50fps. So far I am using my KB 64GB 1000x which works fine @50fps upscaling to 1920*818.

I am not sure if I should get the same card again or maybe use the 128GB 1050x? Anyone tried 50fps or compared the 2 cards?

Get more 64gb cards, the 128g 1050 isn't all its cracked up to be. Its slower. And a benchmark in playback is useless. So those numbers of 110-115 will not happen when you are actually recording.  I went from the 128 card to the 64gb and all the performance unreliablilities went away.

When you look at the card tests for different buffers on these tests.

64Gb - Out of the top 8 buffer sizes, 7 could do continuous recording.

128gb - Out of top 8 buffer sizes, 5 will do continuous OK.... probably, 2 of them are on the edge... so probably more like 3 out of 8.

The 64gb card is just way more consistent across the different buffer sizes.  I was convinced to get the 128gb 1050 card.. and i wish i just got the 64gb from the start. Don't get me wrong, the 128gb card is great.. inexpensive.. and fast... but not quite fast enough to be used in RAW with consistent performance.

And remember, if you are recording at High FPS those modes transfer even slower than in 1080p mode(at least i cant find a way for it to do it at the same speed) Regardless of card recording at high FPS seems to stay below 80mb/sec even though in 24p 1080p mode it tapes 110mb/sec on the 64gb card.
Cameras: 5D3 | 60D
Prime Lenses: Samyang 14mm 2.8 | 24mm 1.4 | 35mm 1.4 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Nikkor 105 2.5
Zoom Lenses: Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC | Canon 80-200 2.8 L

Nicolai1227

Quote from: jonnyginese on February 11, 2014, 03:59:40 PM
Get more 64gb cards, the 128g 1050 isn't all its cracked up to be. Its slower. And a benchmark in playback is useless. So those numbers of 110-115 will not happen when you are actually recording.  I went from the 128 card to the 64gb and all the performance unreliablilities went away.

When you look at the card tests for different buffers on these tests.

64Gb - Out of the top 8 buffer sizes, 7 could do continuous recording.

128gb - Out of top 8 buffer sizes, 5 will do continuous OK.... probably, 2 of them are on the edge... so probably more like 3 out of 8.

The 64gb card is just way more consistent across the different buffer sizes.  I was convinced to get the 128gb 1050 card.. and i wish i just got the 64gb from the start. Don't get me wrong, the 128gb card is great.. inexpensive.. and fast... but not quite fast enough to be used in RAW with consistent performance.

And remember, if you are recording at High FPS those modes transfer even slower than in 1080p mode(at least i cant find a way for it to do it at the same speed) Regardless of card recording at high FPS seems to stay below 80mb/sec even though in 24p 1080p mode it tapes 110mb/sec on the 64gb card.

Thanks for the fast reply, i guess i will get some more 64s than. I had a similar issue, recording normal 1080p @ 25fps i got a little over 100mb, recording higher fps i only reach around 80mb :(

Thanks anyway, cant wait to shoot and see the results :D

jonnyginese

I'm not sure if there are some settings i've messed for the high FPS stuff. But If you could have the data rate stay the same as the 24p 1080 settings then you could probably do 15 second clips at 60p 1080... but since its drops to like 80 thats only your buffer.
Cameras: 5D3 | 60D
Prime Lenses: Samyang 14mm 2.8 | 24mm 1.4 | 35mm 1.4 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Nikkor 105 2.5
Zoom Lenses: Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC | Canon 80-200 2.8 L

alMalsamo

I got one of the unbootable KomputerBay 1050x 128GB CF cards, and it seems a very unconsistent performer in RAW recording benchmarks as well.  Even at 24 fps 1080p with no audio and Global Draw off, would I very often receive dropped frames early on.  I am going to send the card back to give another one a second chance.  In e-mail correspondance with KomputerBay, they claim it is impossible to acheive 1080p RAW recording at 30 fps with the 5D Mark III:

QuoteYou will not be able to achieve 1920X1080 @ 30fps without spanning. The max you can achieve will be 25fps. 30fps required a little more than 100MB/s (106~108MB/s) and the CF slot on the 5DM3 is limited to 100MB/s. You will get 2-34frames before your camera heats up and shuts down (also not recommended). The problem is not the card - but the camera's bottleneck. The benchmark we sent you is was for the 128Gb card - as you can see it will very well achieve above 110MB/s on the 5DM3 but the camera itself is limited to 100MB/s for continuous raw.

I may have missed this official discovery here on the forums, but I hope that they are incorrect!  UDMA 7 specification allows for 167 MB/s of throughput with CF version 6 specification, as far as I am aware.  It would be disheartening to hear that we could never acheive RAW 1080p/30 recording using the CF bus on the Mk3.

When I receive my replacement card, I will post benchmarks to this thread.  I hope to report good news!

Markus

Quote from: alMalsamo on March 23, 2014, 04:40:06 PM
I got one of the unbootable KomputerBay 1050x 128GB CF cards, and it seems a very unconsistent performer in RAW recording benchmarks as well.  Even at 24 fps 1080p with no audio and Global Draw off, would I very often receive dropped frames early on.  I am going to send the card back to give another one a second chance.  In e-mail correspondance with KomputerBay, they claim it is impossible to acheive 1080p RAW recording at 30 fps with the 5D Mark III:

I may have missed this official discovery here on the forums, but I hope that they are incorrect!  UDMA 7 specification allows for 167 MB/s of throughput with CF version 6 specification, as far as I am aware.  It would be disheartening to hear that we could never acheive RAW 1080p/30 recording using the CF bus on the Mk3.

When I receive my replacement card, I will post benchmarks to this thread.  I hope to report good news!

That Is quite an accurate account from komputerbay I'm afraid. Best card for stable results for full hd raw with sound is the 256gb 1200x KB card.

matthiasdeo

I just bought a 50D and one of these cards. I performed a benchmark and am very happy with the results. I got up to 87.5MB/s write speed on the 50D which supposedly has a max write speed of 70MB/s, I'm guessing this is due to the buffer but it's definitely an impressive card, especially for the price.

frank007

:D Looking good, I will wait for further post/info maybe get one, too.
www.linkdelight.com - Affordable Photographic equipment and accessory!

Foerst

Here it is...my first post! Bought the KB 128 1050x and tested it today. Without doing anything or formatting I put it into the 5D3. It made 8 minutes of continuous 1920x1080! But then it dropped frame and said: "failed to open file.card full?" . What does this mean? What do you think would be best to do? How are KB CFs formatted out of the box? I'm a very beginner with ML. Would appreciate some advice/suggestions to get reliable results in the future. Bought New Kingston reader too but the card saw no reader until now. Best Jürgen

https://drive.google.com/folder/d/0B7ZOa7y8JRRAVTZjb0hOci1BZms/edit

Markus

Quote from: Foerst on August 09, 2014, 06:12:00 PM
Here it is...my first post! Bought the KB 128 1050x and tested it today. Without doing anything or formatting I put it into the 5D3. It made 8 minutes of continuous 1920x1080! But then it dropped frame and said: "failed to open file.card full?" . What does this mean? What do you think would be best to do? How are KB CFs formatted out of the box? I'm a very beginner with ML. Would appreciate some advice/suggestions to get reliable results in the future. Bought New Kingston reader too but the card saw no reader until now. Best Jürgen

https://drive.google.com/folder/d/0B7ZOa7y8JRRAVTZjb0hOci1BZms/edit

For stable continious results buy 64gb or 256gb 1066x  KB cards. The 128gb versions are not as stable for some reason.
Also be sure to enable larger than 4gb files option in mlv raw menu.