Canon EOS 70D (RAW possibility)

Started by proXify, July 02, 2013, 12:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shield

I'm thinking of buying one of these from Microcenter tomorrow - as much as I love my 5d3 + raw, shooting video of sports (baseball) is just too much work and I'm not getting good results.  Well I am when the batter's up, but halfway down to first I can't keep up with focus.
I can't use auto ISO else it's a pain to fix in post.  Can't record audio unless I'm using the zoom H1 on the shoe. 
Right now I have to adjust the Vari-ND filter, set exposure, make sure the Zoom is running, pull focus all by myself.

Sure, you'll say this wasn't designed for this; it's more for static scenes.  I agree.

But that's why I might buy a 70D tomorrow - just set it on auto-ISO, let it AF, and record audio on its own.  Might make for better overall footage, but obviously I'd lose the wow factor.  Tough decisions.  All I know is I've gone the camcorder route and absolutely HATE the deep DOF "live" look.
I recorded most of a game yesterday with a GoPro3 hidden behind home plate and it just doesn't do it for me.

How do you guys record your kids' sports?  Disclaimer - my wife is not only camera illiterate, she doesn't want to know (yeah, worse case).  I'm hoping the 70d would be super simple for her to use.

carlosmeldano

Quote from: Shield on September 27, 2013, 09:49:24 AM
How do you guys record your kids' sports?  Disclaimer - my wife is not only camera illiterate, she doesn't want to know (yeah, worse case).  I'm hoping the 70d would be super simple for her to use.

If I read correctly, you're interested in autofocus capabilities. I own this camera for ~2 weeks now, and I played a little with it. I use it with a 17-55 IS USM.

You can either use Servo AF (full automatic) in video mode (either with face tracking or simply a certain point), or you can turn it off and use focus by hand.

When using Servo AF, it zooms slower, more gradient, but accurate, no hunting. This is good for overall usage, and can track anything moving at "normal" speed. This cannot track very fast movements like full zoomed on a kid's face who's running around. But for wide, it's working perfectly. I read in a Canon paper that the engineers slowed down the focus change to have movie look, because it can perform much faster (see next option).

The other option is to turn Servo AF off and use manual autofocus. It means that the camera focuses to the place where the focus box is when you push the AF-ON button. This is very fast, almost instantly, no hunting. Not as fast as the conventional PDAF AF, but almost at fast, always < 1sec, usually ~0.5 secs. This is good when you're moving the camera and when you stand on a new object, push the button, and it gets focus. Also, in this mode, the focusing noise of the lens is only heard when you push the button.

My lens has an audible noise, mainly in Servo AF where the camera is always focusing. in AF-ON mode, its better because much infrequent. According to the reviews, STM lenses have no audible noise and they focus smoothly.

So, if you like to record games, not fully zoomed on faces, I think you'll be satisfied with the Servo AF with an STM lens. 55-250 STM is now available, try one because it has the coverage I think you need.

The sensitivity of the sensor is a bit better, but it doesn't matter for outdoor sports. Compared to the 5d3, you don't have Tv and Av modes on this camera, only AUTO and MANUAL. In AUTO, you cannot set ISO, in MANUAL, you need to set everything manually (but there is auto ISO). So, in MANUAL, you set the aperture to the desired, you set the shutter speed to 50 and you set auto ISO, it'll work fine.

Shield

Quote from: carlosmeldano on September 27, 2013, 10:35:36 AM
If I read correctly, you're interested in autofocus capabilities. I own this camera for ~2 weeks now, and I played a little with it. I use it with a 17-55 IS USM.

You can either use Servo AF (full automatic) in video mode (either with face tracking or simply a certain point), or you can turn it off and use focus by hand.

When using Servo AF, it zooms slower, more gradient, but accurate, no hunting. This is good for overall usage, and can track anything moving at "normal" speed. This cannot track very fast movements like full zoomed on a kid's face who's running around. But for wide, it's working perfectly. I read in a Canon paper that the engineers slowed down the focus change to have movie look, because it can perform much faster (see next option).

The other option is to turn Servo AF off and use manual autofocus. It means that the camera focuses to the place where the focus box is when you push the AF-ON button. This is very fast, almost instantly, no hunting. Not as fast as the conventional PDAF AF, but almost at fast, always < 1sec, usually ~0.5 secs. This is good when you're moving the camera and when you stand on a new object, push the button, and it gets focus. Also, in this mode, the focusing noise of the lens is only heard when you push the button.

My lens has an audible noise, mainly in Servo AF where the camera is always focusing. in AF-ON mode, its better because much infrequent. According to the reviews, STM lenses have no audible noise and they focus smoothly.

So, if you like to record games, not fully zoomed on faces, I think you'll be satisfied with the Servo AF with an STM lens. 55-250 STM is now available, try one because it has the coverage I think you need.

The sensitivity of the sensor is a bit better, but it doesn't matter for outdoor sports. Compared to the 5d3, you don't have Tv and Av modes on this camera, only AUTO and MANUAL. In AUTO, you cannot set ISO, in MANUAL, you need to set everything manually (but there is auto ISO). So, in MANUAL, you set the aperture to the desired, you set the shutter speed to 50 and you set auto ISO, it'll work fine.

Wow that sounds like exactly what I want.  I think I'll just stick with the 70-200 2.8 II that I use though; the weight isn't what I'm trying to get away from.  Having to rig something to have an external LCD screen and the zoom recorder and still be handheld (along with the focus hassle) is my problem right now.  I don't need to zoom on the face while their moving; I'd just be happy with close-ups either for my son batting or my daughter doing indoor gymnastics periodically when I'm not shooting a wider shot, which is most of the time.

Question for you - can I hit the AF/MF button to disengage the AF feature, and then re-enable it, all during the same "take"? Meaning if I'm tracking a moving subject and know it's going to be in one spot for a while, and I want 0 chance of the camera trying to refocus on another target entering the frame, can I do that? Let's use lions walking around in a zoo for example.  Or could I just use your aforementioned "manual" autofocus then?

Thanks for your help.  I might even sell the 5d3 if this works out - I find myself rarely going about ISO 1600 and certainly could use more reach.  The problem is ML raw has made the video so gorgeous it'd be so hard to not have that as an option.  Plus winter's approaching (along with Halloween night; one of my favorite nights to shoot video) and I know I'll need the low light.  Sigh.  What to do.

carlosmeldano

Quote from: Shield on September 27, 2013, 12:29:40 PM
Question for you - can I hit the AF/MF button to disengage the AF feature, and then re-enable it, all during the same "take"? Meaning if I'm tracking a moving subject and know it's going to be in one spot for a while, and I want 0 chance of the camera trying to refocus on another target entering the frame, can I do that? Let's use lions walking around in a zoo for example.  Or could I just use your aforementioned "manual" autofocus then?

Thanks for your help.  I might even sell the 5d3 if this works out - I find myself rarely going about ISO 1600 and certainly could use more reach.  The problem is ML raw has made the video so gorgeous it'd be so hard to not have that as an option.  Plus winter's approaching (along with Halloween night; one of my favorite nights to shoot video) and I know I'll need the low light.  Sigh.  What to do.

I don't have a button on my lens, but on the bottom left of the touchscreen, the Servo AF button is available all the time while recording, so you can turn it on or off. If recording a longer session, you can turn it off when using manual autofocus and it won't automatically focus, and when you're done, you turn it back on, and continues servo autofocusing.

As for the ISO: it is an APS-C:) A videographer guy using 7D asked me to make a 100-12800 ISO noise test and he told that it's about 1 stop better than the 7D. It also has slightly better dynamic range. 70D also has ALL-I and IPB modes, if interested.

Shield

Quote from: carlosmeldano on September 27, 2013, 01:38:00 PM
I don't have a button on my lens, but on the bottom left of the touchscreen, the Servo AF button is available all the time while recording, so you can turn it on or off. If recording a longer session, you can turn it off when using manual autofocus and it won't automatically focus, and when you're done, you turn it back on, and continues servo autofocusing.

As for the ISO: it is an APS-C:) A videographer guy using 7D asked me to make a 100-12800 ISO noise test and he told that it's about 1 stop better than the 7D. It also has slightly better dynamic range. 70D also has ALL-I and IPB modes, if interested.

Rented one for the weekend and I have it in my grubby little hands.  That 18-55 lens is way sharper than I expected it to be - will be a nice "here, wife" lens to give her.  So far I'm very impressed, and the place I rented it, if you decide to buy it, credits the rental cost towards the purchase of the camera.  The video obviously is nothing like ML raw, but very close to the 5d3's H264 (probably a tad sharper hence the moire).
I love how light it is, and if ML raw is ever available even at 720p for this it'd be super amazing.

TomJ

So dammit..., just got used to ML in my T4i (first pre-alpha and then the alpha), and now looking at the 70D solely for the weather sealing - where I shoot is ME deserts (fine dusty sand) to SE Asia (humidity) - and the vid capabilities. But without ML for it, it's like going backwards to me. I've become so used to having the WB and other flexibilities of ML, not sure I can go without? Already ruined a T3i because of the humidity and such, so taking the T4i again because of what I can do with it, also risks totally losing a camera. So..., who can I send a case of wine to for work on ML for 70D???

Marsu42

Quote from: TomJ on October 06, 2013, 06:05:10 AMI've become so used to having the WB and other flexibilities of ML, not sure I can go without?

I couldn't, that (part of) why I only just bought the 6d now that ml is ready for it. The one day w/o ml on the 6d vs. my 60d felt like being in the stone age, you only then realize how crude the Canon fw really is.

Doyle4

i think canon need to stop pushing out so many cameras, i cant keep up now.. and let the ML team make there firmwares for them from now on :P .... if only... Canon ML.... mmmmmmmmmmmm.

I also appreciate canon does not steal ML's findings and creative tweaks and making them their own like apple does by stealing Cyida tweaks... (please correct me if im wrong there if they have).

globalphotobank

All I have to say is, the Eos 70D is FANTASTIC! I have had it since it hit the stores, the day Henry's received their units. Nothing to dislike about it yet other than no digital zoom for stills during movie mode. There is digital zoom though and depending on your lens if the image is clear. When using MD adapter and lens it will be blured as I will not focus to infinity. Very fast and responsive though. Is everyone ready for their 40mp high end? Did anyone ever see Canon's WOUNDER cam?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv0BjSuOKzE

TomJ

Well articulated and thought out reply. That's why this forum rocks, the people here are not so ego-based and are willing to help each other. Appreciate this everyone!

Quote from: carlosmeldano on September 27, 2013, 10:35:36 AM

yaronwn

Quote from: Shield on September 27, 2013, 12:29:40 PM

Hi
You can redefine a botton to be an "AF OFF" button and than, when you shoot in AF mode, if you don't want the camera to change focus automaticly, you press the button and it will stay focus on the last focus posision. The moment you relese that buton, the auto focus works again and refocus on the spot you are aiming.
It is much faster than pushing the screen and more convenient to use during a shot. You can make that button instead of the "AF ON" botton which is right next to your right thumb.

animanus

Shield

Even better - after using the 70d for a while (and actually reading the manual):

If you change the back button "af-on" button to toggle AF, you still have to hold it down to disable AF in video mode.

But guess what?  The flash popup button?  By default this is AF on/off and it doesn't need to be held down!!!!  So slick...

TomJ

Quote from: Marsu42 on October 06, 2013, 10:54:33 AM
I couldn't, that (part of) why I only just bought the 6d now that ml is ready for it. The one day w/o ml on the 6d vs. my 60d felt like being in the stone age, you only then realize how crude the Canon fw really is.

Exactly! But what I use the Canon for is principally video now (though I started with my -old- Canon F1 as a photog back in the early 80's), so the articulating screen has become too valuable for me to give up for the high ISO and other bennies of the 6D. Had one for a week to test and was blown away. Just wish Canon would have given the 6D a screen that flipped, a FF sensor and flip screen..? Oh yeah..., I'd have that this INSTANT!!

dak20

Hey, guys. When will the firmware for the 70D? Interested RAW video?

TomJ

Quote from: dak20 on October 23, 2013, 02:21:23 PM
Hey, guys. When will the firmware for the 70D? Interested RAW video?

The 70D just came out, people are still working on all the other Canon's that just came out (T4i, T5i, 5D3, etc.), so expect it'll take a while since someone also needs to donate a development 70D for people to work with and prob needs a FW update from Canon before development goes anywhere.

dak20

I have already exchanged their 550d on this new camera. There are auto-focus, it is now the same as Panasonic GH3. Now change all the old camera. It's fast to demand release a new firmware for RAW video. Who can tell the approximate date of manufacture.

Marsu42

Quote from: TomJ on October 24, 2013, 03:33:15 AMso expect it'll take a while since someone also needs to donate a development 70D for people to work with

Afaik that's not the problem (though I won't prevent anyone from donating a 70d :-p) - any dev who puts all the tremendous amount of time, energy and knowledge into porting ml probably will do it for his/her(anyone?) own camera, just I ended up adding features to my 6d because the stock Canon fw is so annoyingly crippled.

Just sending a 70d to someone saying "Here ye go, now spend at least half a year of unpaid work on it" most likely won't do the trick.

globalphotobank

28 continuous shots in jpeg using 300x class 10 sdhc 1 32gb Transcend card going to try a 600x pro card

painya

Quote from: dak20 on October 24, 2013, 09:22:03 AM
I have already exchanged their 550d on this new camera. There are auto-focus, it is now the same as Panasonic GH3. Now change all the old camera. It's fast to demand release a new firmware for RAW video. Who can tell the approximate date of manufacture.
In a way they keep all of the release dates for camera firmwares and such right at the bottom of this page http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq
In another way they don't, but it's all about perspective. That page is a good read though ;D
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

GARoss

Hi everyone. I sold my 60d & purchased the 70d. I would like to help ML make the 70d RAW video capable, like the 60d.

I was happy with the 60d but struggled to keep things in focus. The 70d certainly fixed that. With the STM lens there's little if any focus noise. All other lenses seem quite noisy but not jittery like all other Canon DSLRs. Can't wait to see how it will work with RAW video!
Canon EOS 70d w/kit lens Canon EF-S 18-135mm STM, Sigma 18-35mm, Tamron SP 150-600mm, Tamron 16-300mm

xoral

I tried the burst mode shooting jpeg at the higher resolution and took my finger off the button at 80 shots and it wasn't slowing down at all.

xoral

I tried the RAW burst shooting and with a lexar 400 32gig card I got a total of 17 shots before it stopped and 15 of them were at full speed. I don't know if this is relevant or not but that's what I got.

GARoss

xoral - Were you using ML with a 70d or some other Canon?
Canon EOS 70d w/kit lens Canon EF-S 18-135mm STM, Sigma 18-35mm, Tamron SP 150-600mm, Tamron 16-300mm