Canon EOS 70D (RAW possibility)

Started by proXify, July 02, 2013, 12:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

siloxr

Quote from: nanomad on April 12, 2014, 10:00:43 AM
The main reason is that a week would accomplish nothing. The expected timeframe for having something that's usable is a couple of months *at least* . Take a look at all the other ports. There's still stuff that needs to be done almost a year after it has been declared as usable

With easter coming up, I'm thinking of collecting donations offers for another week or so before deciding what to do.  There's a form available to fill out if you are thinking of contributing (financially or not). Send me a PM if you are interested.
Fair enough.   I'm entirely ignorant of the actual process and assumed that might be enough to get someone started.

That said, I will happily contribute double or even triple the 144 euros I said in the survey,  but after that initial 144 it might be a few weeks before I can spare the rest. 

bilgebay

Let me post one more time today.

I'm using qDSLRDashboard with great success on my 70D and 6D. This is a cross platform  app. I'm using it on my Android tablet for wirelessly controlling the camera. You can find the app here --> http://dslrdashboard.info.

The previous but Android only version is more mature but it needs the use of a TP-Link router to wirelessly control any cameras out there. Please find it here --> http://lrtimelapse.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/2013-08-20_09h10_21.png

Both apps are free of charge.

Contacting Zoltan may help our developers  I believe.

Cheers

Sedat

ShootMeAlready

I would be willing to contribute towards a 70D, as I have benefited from using the T3i port.
However in term of timeline.  It seems to me that the main thing the 70D is lacking is Raw video, and HDR video.
Other than that not much else (even the zebras are bigger on the display for instance). 
Not sure if limitted development scope is possible, but lets face it folks bought the 70D with a desire to shoot video.

T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

Marsu42

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on April 14, 2014, 04:08:54 AM
Not sure if limitted development scope is possible, but lets face it folks bought the 70D with a desire to shoot video.

If you don't mind me asking, what folks? The folks in this thread (it's the ML forum with video bias after all), the folks you know, or the folks in general? When in doubt, at least doing a poll would be a good idea.

It's legit you argue that ML should first receive what you personally need, but I cannot help but mention that all folks I know buy a 5d3 for serious video (cf card = full hd raw). The people I talk to buy a 70d because it's a still achievable "all around" camera with good phase af as a 7d replacement for general shooting. In this capacity, imho the 70d deserves all features, from focus stacking to automatic bracketing.

As written, I'm excited nanomad has taken the offer and there will be a ML for 70d, widening the user base. But I'd like to stress that he knows what he's talking about, a port will take several months at least to an initial version, and then the real "Hey, on second look this doesn't really work as expected" work starts...

sydneybreeze.com

Quote from: Marsu42 on April 14, 2014, 08:57:16 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what folks? The folks in this thread (it's the ML forum with video bias after all), the folks you know, or the folks in general? [...]

It's legit you argue that ML should first receive what you personally need, but I cannot help but mention that all folks I know buy a 5d3 for serious video (cf card = full hd raw). The people I talk to buy a 70d because it's a still achievable "all around" camera with good phase af as a 7d replacement for general shooting. [...]

I think I disagree with your comment on the 5d3 and "serious video". It's just too broad to be accurate. Righ now, the 70D is unmatched in terms of usable autofocus in video, which I think is why most people are excited with the possibility of a ML port. If your shooting style for instance involves glidecams, the 5d3 is pretty limited in what it can do. You are basically stuck with wide angle and closed aperture, because otherwise stuff is out of focus. Manual focus pulling is out of the questions of course since it would ruin balance. Here the 70D shines because it allows actual autofocus with shallow depth of field at a decent success rate, which is a real game changer. I suspect even "serious" videographers would consider it as a B-cam for this reason.

This is why I decided not to go with a 5d3 right now but hold on to my 70D and put up a chunk of money to explore the possibility of a port. My hope is its decent buffer - if sometime within the next year it gets to support beyond 720p in bursts of a couple of seconds, I would be a happy camper. If not, that's life.

ShootMeAlready

Marsu, have you looked at the costs involved to go 5DMIII all the way? Its cost $3000+
The trinity of FF zooms, 16-35,24-70,70-200mm they set you back $5000+
Now if you bought a FF, and want bokeh, you will want to go L-Series, 24,35,50,85 & 135mm? Cash outlay $5000+
That's a pretty steeeeep up front cost, to get all that one would want on a FF for video.
Lets see a 70D, cash outlay $1200.
The best APS-C zooms Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, sigma 18-35 f/1.8, sigma 50-150mm f/2.8, cash outlay $2300.
The primes, well you are only going to go USM equivalent on a APS-C, so you already have 18-35mm f/1.8, so only two more needed sigma 50mm 1.4, canon 85mm 1.8. cash outlay $1000.
So lets see for the cost of just the FF zooms, you have all you need on an APS-C to shoot high quality film including decent bokeh.
So in short, folks are buying the 70D for the continuous AF to shoot semi-professional quality films on semi-professional budgets.
If you want wild life / action the 7D is your axe because its 8fps.  There is not much for still photobugs to want to upgrade to in a 70D, its got the same sensor size as rebels & the other aps-c, and it  has a worst view-finder focus.  Its not a prime axe for still shooters. You can put out a poll to get convinced, folks are upgrading to 70Ds from rebels, 60Ds, and 7Ds for the continuous AF video.

So again I ask, is it possible to have a 70D build that targets RAW video & HDR video as first functionality
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

nanomad

No. Things will come as they will.
I expect more tested and stable functions to come first, audio last. Raw video probably sits in the middle
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

globalphotobank

nanomad

Use an image hosting site like imgur

For the time being, I've decided to set-up a a GoFundMe Campaign to raise some funds for the 70D

http://www.gofundme.com/8e5o0k

Feel free to donate if you want to :)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

globalphotobank

I have a 70D how can I be of assistants. I am in Canada NF not working at the time and have free time.

I just shared the link to Canon 70D user group on FB. I will try to get the image to you

Please use the modify button to edit extra information to your posts, rather then posting 5 times in a row.  Also, please check the formatting for posting images with the correct image size, as per the forum rules.  //Audionut

X-STATE

Body: Canon EOS 70D Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 DC HSM Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM
70D.112

Jakobmen

Thank you for the link homie nanomad!

http://www.gofundme.com/8e5o0k

lets get this going! I get paid next week  8)
Canon 5D3

solafson

My donation is in!

Alright everyone... put your money where your mouth is... let's fund a camera for Nanomad!

kaco

I also put some donation for the start. But I thought you can't start porting while there is no firmware update from Canon. This is not true now?

nanomad

crirus

Great, my donation is in!
Please take into consideration using LCD while hdmi is on, I can do that with DSLR controller on USB

It may be possible the same on HDMI with a hack of some sort and ML?

siloxr

We're a hair over 2/3 to the goal.

Marsu42

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on April 14, 2014, 03:08:34 PM
Marsu, have you looked at the costs involved to go 5DMIII all the way? Its cost $3000+

Absolutely, that's why I've got a 6d :-p

Quote from: sydneybreeze.com on April 14, 2014, 01:24:31 PM
Manual focus pulling is out of the questions of course since it would ruin balance. Here the 70D shines because it allows actual autofocus with shallow depth of field at a decent success rate, which is a real game changer. I suspect even "serious" videographers would consider it as a B-cam for this reason.

Interesting to hear as I'm not a video guy, and I hope the lv af of the 70d and ML integration really ends up in a working solution for semi-pro purposes as the 70d of course is intended as a amateur camera from canon. Let's hope they didn't cut any corners that will hinder ML, the sd card write speed comes to mind first.

sydneybreeze.com

Quote from: siloxr on April 19, 2014, 01:55:24 AM
We're a hair over 2/3 to the goal.

I have topped up the remaining amount.

Thanks Nanomad and ML community for giving us hope ;)

X-STATE

Quote from: sydneybreeze.com on April 19, 2014, 08:14:08 AM
I have topped up the remaining amount.

Thanks Nanomad and ML community for giving us hope ;)
:o wow man!
Body: Canon EOS 70D Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 DC HSM Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM
70D.112

nanomad

Thanks everyone! I'm speechless :o

Right now the funds sit at 812€ after the fees

I'll leave the campaign running in case anyone wants to contribute towards the AC adapter

Thanks once more, without your help this probably would have taken longer

crirus

Maybe you should keep this a while longer, what if , God forbidden, this 70D fries  :P?
Also power adapter are like 30 $ on eBay, I have from China and it's perfect. Take a while to arrive though (21-25 days).

bilgebay

I'm really impressed! We're a good bunch of people.... and Giovanni, you are our hero! :)

Thanks to everyone!

Sedat

siloxr

Quote from: nanomad on April 19, 2014, 10:46:47 AM
Thanks everyone! I'm speechless :o

Right now the funds sit at 812€ after the fees

I'll leave the campaign running in case anyone wants to contribute towards the AC adapter

Thanks once more, without your help this probably would have taken longer
definitely keep It for one more week.  I  can do more next Friday for the adapter.

morse

Just put another donation in chap, very keen to see this get off the ground.

Thanks.