Canon EOS 70D (RAW possibility)

Started by proXify, July 02, 2013, 12:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garreth

Quote from: Smarty Pants on April 02, 2014, 02:25:52 AM
can I emphasise to any of the devs that all we really need ML for on the 70D at the moment is to allow the use of headphones
I understand how much work a full port is but that's all we need, wants and dreams can wait(raw vid etc can wait till dev time is an option)

I'd be happy to pay £10 to be able to monitor audio (i'm sure there are at least 100 70d owners who need just this feature, £1000 for a few days work must be tempting, there could be 1000 owners....)

Aprill fools day was yesterday man... How do you imagine this would work?

nanomad

Everything is doable provided enough time and a developer with a camera.

What connectors does the camera have externally? I guess there's no headphone out right?
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Garreth

Quote from: nanomad on April 02, 2014, 09:24:30 AM
Everything is doable provided enough time and a developer with a camera.

What connectors does the camera have externally? I guess there's no headphone out right?

No, there is no headphone out. We've got HDMI out, USB (with integrated video-out) and mic-in. I assume that mic-in is physically not suitable for that application, so we are left with HDMI or video-out for this. Maybe dev will tell us if thats even theoretically possible with ML:)

nanomad

yes, it should be possible to route audio via the usb/av port.
It's not something that is doable in a short time frame though. We don't even know the maker of the chip
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Garreth

Quote from: nanomad on April 02, 2014, 12:42:00 PM
yes, it should be possible to route audio via the usb/av port.
It's not something that is doable in a short time frame though. We don't even know the maker of the chip

You're a magician, you know?:)

Btw. I've placed inquiry about the wifi pairing problem with the PC to Polish Canon support yesterday and I've received the answer, that they are aware of the problem, but the only solution is to go through the creator in the camera every time you want to pair the camera to the PC. Pro canon support to $1k body:)

globalphotobank

there are tutorials on youtube for the audio out to head phones ive done it and it works.

TomJ

Quote from: Garreth on April 02, 2014, 09:57:28 AM
No, there is no headphone out. We've got HDMI out, USB (with integrated video-out) and mic-in. I assume that mic-in is physically not suitable for that application, so we are left with HDMI or video-out for this. Maybe dev will tell us if thats even theoretically possible with ML:)

Am I missing something here? Seems like anyone who cares enough about audio to live monitor it will be recording with a field recorder, minimum, which all have audio out for headphones? In-camera audio on DSLR's has never been usable for much more than syncing, so why bother monitoring it?

ShootMeAlready

At some point, the folks at ML will have to start End Of Life, support for certain cameras.  Too much new stuff folks want to use.
Not that I am an expert but here is the whittle down list ...
600D/T3i is the cheapest, HD 1080p camera, with both 3X zoom & swivel LCD.  Still best value for low budget film.
Then there is the 7D which is fastest sports camera (8 fps). Trap focus / valometer for the wild life shooters.
Then there is the 70D, which is the only AF camera with 3X zoom & swivel LCD.  It probably needs the least in terms of existing ML features, basically all that matters is RAW video and arguably HDR video.
6d - poor mans FF, definitely has legs.
5 MarkIII, the best FF  raw camera.

But after this short list, I don't see any crucial cameras that will have legs for more adopters,
in terms of going forward at this point.  JM2C.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

Marsu42

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on April 08, 2014, 04:34:34 AM
At some point, the folks at ML will have to start End Of Life, support for certain cameras. Too much new stuff folks want to use.

Well argued, the devs and contributors should stop working on the cameras they own but go forward into a new age, starting by adding ML support to the 70d!

At least this would be how it works if ML would be a commercial project, trying to satisfy as many new customers as possible. But it isn't. It started as a project of folks (5d2 video, Rebel stills) to add features to their existing cameras in their spare time. If no one has a 550d anymore, it might be unmaintained some time, but no sooner than that.

Why am I writing this? If you think ML for your 70d is only a matter of the amount of units sold by Canon, you'll be disappointed when strangely ML doesn't make the move asap. Actually the reverse can also be argued: Better manage to get real stable ML versions for the existing cameras first and tell people to buy those if they want a working ML now or in the near future.

nanomad

Once more, there's no ML for the 70D because no Dev has it.
And dropping support for old cameras makes no sense since most of ML is camera agnostic. At worst older model won't get new features if no one finds the relevant stubs or adapt the code.

X-STATE

colleagues, I think that everyone understands that it is necessary to start collecting money to buy body for Dev. Does anyone have experience in similar projects?
Body: Canon EOS 70D Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 DC HSM Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM
70D.112

nanomad

I offered to do it myself or at least to act as an escrow if someone else wants to do it. Si far no one has replied to my request to send me a PM if willing to contribute. I do restate my offer though.

X-STATE

I am willing to help financially (as possible) Maybe you want to start a new topic? Announce The funds collection. A vote to see the number of people interested?
Я готов помочь финансово (насколько это возможно)
Может необходимо начать новый топик? Анонсировать сбор средст.  Провести голосование, чтобы увидеть количество заинтересованных людей?
70D.112

Marsu42

Quote from: nanomad on April 08, 2014, 09:17:48 AM
I offered to do it myself or at least to act as an escrow if someone else wants to do it.

There seems to be some confusion about your offer, so I'd like to state how I read it: You won't do it yourself even if you get a free camera, but you're willing to provide some general guidance to someone else.

How valuable that is depends on the skill of the potential dev, and since no one shouted "me!" yet it's likely a new dev would come outside of the community - meaning he/she would not only have to do the 70d port but learn the whole other ML stuff as well.

I'd really like to have ML on all cameras, but as I struggled with a rather shaky port when I got my 60d and now even the 6d port is only so-so I cannot help but stress the fact to potential 70d buyers: There is no camera and no dev and no hello world, essentially there is no nothing atm and there is no indication that this is going to change in the near future.

nanomad

You got it wrong.

I'm willing to do the port myself. Full stop :)

Unless someone else steps up to do it, then I'll gladly step aside and provide guidance when needed

But yes, stressing that at this point the 70D port is not even close is a good thing to do. For all we know it may take time (A couple of months at least I'd say) to have something that can be defined as "kinda usable"

X-STATE

nanomad been developing for ML 650D.
When I had the 650D ML worked perfectly!
I believe that with the 70D nanomad cope!
наномад занимался разработкой МЛ для 650Д.
Когда я имел 650Д МЛ работал отлично!
Я верю что и с 70Д наномад справится!
70D.112

Marsu42

Quote from: nanomad on April 08, 2014, 11:11:48 AM
You got it wrong. I'm willing to do the port myself. Full stop :)

Great, I'm happy for all 70d owners and the ML project, and good thing I asked - I believe this part was not 100% clear :-p

globalphotobank

sydneybreeze.com

Quote from: nanomad on April 08, 2014, 09:17:48 AM
I offered to do it myself or at least to act as an escrow if someone else wants to do it. Si far no one has replied to my request to send me a PM if willing to contribute. I do restate my offer though.

I have just pm'd nanomad that I stand by my offer to contribute 1/3 of the cost of a 70D body. I invite you guys to join!

I understand there can be no guarantees, but that's life. If you want this to happen, sharing in a minor portion of the cost is the least you can do. Most of the resources will come from nanomad anyways, via his time and opportunity cost to take on this project.

X-STATE

Quote from: sydneybreeze.com on April 09, 2014, 11:12:23 PM

I have just pm'd nanomad that I stand by my offer to contribute 1/3 of the cost of a 70D body. I invite you guys to join!

I understand there can be no guarantees, but that's life. If you want this to happen, sharing in a minor portion of the cost is the least you can do. Most of the resources will come from nanomad anyways, via his time and opportunity cost to take on this project.
I have pm'd nanomad too. Unfortunately, I'm not as rich as you ;)
70D.112

TomJ

Quote from: sydneybreeze.com on April 09, 2014, 11:12:23 PM

Let's hope Marsu42 is wrong: "...Just sending a 70d to someone saying "Here ye go, now spend at least half a year of unpaid work on it" most likely won't do the trick."

siloxr

I'm willing to post some money (and am about to send the PM about such), but out of curiosity, is there a reason we are outright purchasing a 70d when around $55 can get a dev a week or so with the camera?

TomJ

Quote from: siloxr on April 12, 2014, 05:27:26 AM
I'm willing to post some money (and am about to send the PM about such), but out of curiosity, is there a reason we are outright purchasing a 70d when around $55 can get a dev a week or so with the camera?

A body he can return if he bricks it?

nanomad

Quote from: siloxr on April 12, 2014, 05:27:26 AM

The main reason is that a week would accomplish nothing. The expected timeframe for having something that's usable is a couple of months *at least* . Take a look at all the other ports. There's still stuff that needs to be done almost a year after it has been declared as usable

With easter coming up, I'm thinking of collecting donations offers for another week or so before deciding what to do.  There's a form available to fill out if you are thinking of contributing (financially or not). Send me a PM if you are interested.

bilgebay

Nanomad, pm sent regarding my possible contribution towards funding the purchase of a 70D body.

Hope this helps.

You guys are wonderful and big asset to the community!

Sedat