Canon EOS 70D (RAW possibility)

Started by proXify, July 02, 2013, 12:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsu42

Quote from: nanomad on March 29, 2014, 04:58:46 PM
So, little status update on the 70D

Reading this it's certainly good new, but I cannot help but mention that "hello world" is nowhere near a working ML - this was also available on SL1 and later abandoned. I don't advise anyone to buy a 70d expecting ML in the near future.

globalphotobank

I recommend it especially when you get focusing as equal to the C100 now, I have used the 70D for 5 months or so now and focus is fast accurate and super quiet with the STM lenses.

sydneybreeze.com

Great to hear that things are beginning to move!

As mentioned above, willing to put down a third of the cost of a 70d to help make this happen. How shall we organise the rest of the fundraiser?

cheers

k3r7

I'm happy!! I will waiting this  :D

Marsu42

Quote from: k3r7 on March 31, 2014, 06:58:10 AM
I'm happy!! I will waiting this  :D

You're happy that your camera might print "Hello, world!" on screen sooner or later? Well, talking of humble and realistic expectations :-p

satriani

Not so pessimistic, maybe something will come of it ;)
Cameras: Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 650D
Lenses: 2x CanonEF-S 18-135 IS STM, Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM Art
Daily builds

Pelican

Quote from: Marsu42 on March 31, 2014, 11:36:00 AM
You're happy that your camera might print "Hello, world!" on screen sooner or later? Well, talking of humble and realistic expectations :-p
Why are you so sarcastic? All the ML port started with a Hello word! screen...  :)

Nanomad: make paypal account and the 70D owners can start to collect the money for a 70D for you.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

Marsu42

Quote from: Pelican on March 31, 2014, 12:16:09 PM
Why are you so sarcastic? All the ML port started with a Hello word! screen...  :)

The reason is that after the recent SL1 discussion, I don't think it's in ML's best interest to generate too high expectations too early, and reading the above people don't seem to realize how long it might take from "hello world" to "usable".

Also in other forums like CR this quickly ends up in "why don't these ml schmucks deliver a stable version for my xyz already!?", plus I feel a bit sorry for people buying model abc expecting good ol' ML to be available soon.

Pelican

Quote from: Marsu42 on March 31, 2014, 12:52:21 PM
The reason is that after the recent SL1 discussion, I don't think it's in ML's best interest to generate too high expectations too early, and reading the above people don't seem to realize how long it might take from "hello world" to "usable".

Also in other forums like CR this quickly ends up in "why don't these ml schmucks deliver a stable version for my xyz already!?", plus I feel a bit sorry for people buying model abc expecting good ol' ML to be available soon.
I bet it will be ready sooner then the ML for my 7D which took 3 years... :) 
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

k3r7

Shh, shh   :D. 5D mark III took faster than 7D.. I know, that 70D would be longer than 7D  :-\

Marsu42

Quote from: Pelican on March 31, 2014, 01:44:43 PM
I bet it will be ready sooner then the ML for my 7D which took 3 years... :)

Well, but this was because the boot mechanism was a mystery, otherwise the 7d seems to be rather digic4 ... but with the 70d, who knows what Canon has cooked up (new dual pixel af, obviously new audio api, ...). But good you're mentioning it as another proof that "hello world" is nowhere near ready.

Audionut

Quote from: nanomad on March 25, 2014, 08:32:18 AM
I may be willing to help, but I unfortunately can't afford a 70D nor do I feel the need to.

If you guys agree I can have a look at the firmware to at least guess the feasibility of the port.

I took this to mean that nanomad wasn't going to do the development of the port, simply, determine the feasibility of the port, and lay down the groundwork for another developer to take over.

Between the forums, his paying job, his current development workload, family, and whatever else I don't know about, that seems fairly reasonable to me.  *shrugs shoulders*

Quote from: Marsu42 on March 31, 2014, 12:52:21 PM
Also in other forums like CR this quickly ends up in "why don't these ml schmucks deliver a stable version for my xyz already!?"

This will happen, somewhere, sometime, no matter what direction ML takes.  ;)

nanomad

Quote from: Audionut on March 31, 2014, 03:25:08 PM
Between the forums, his paying job, his current development workload, family, and whatever else I don't know about, that seems fairly reasonable to me.  *shrugs shoulders*

It was more like a "duh, let's check if we can do it before going the donations route ", but your observation is spot on.
Let's say I take on starting the port by getting a camera donated by the community. Whoever decides to donate must bear in mind that a speedy or even a successful port is not guaranteed. Not even having an actual "hello world" running on the camera guarantees it.

Truth be told, I'm more interested in playing with the WiFi capability than anything else (Did you say online module repository and installer?). The 70D will for sure bring some changes in how we handle some conflicts between Canon UI and ML and having a somewhat clean port will take time

That being said, shoot me a PM with subject "70D Donation" if you are still willing to donate under the above terms
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Marsu42

Quote from: nanomad on March 31, 2014, 05:53:58 PM
Truth be told, I'm more interested in playing with the WiFi capability than anything else

Excellent idea, I advise you to buy a 6d with wifi and become the new 6d maintainer which will solve a lot of current problems (well, mine anyway) :-)

nanomad

And leave all the fine 70D folks out in the cold? Me not likes it

How about I teach you how to maintain the 6D port? It's not an issue if you are a complete novice. We've all been.

I was thinking of doing the port using a blog to track down every action I do, and having at least one follower doing the same things would help quite a bit
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Marsu42

Quote from: nanomad on March 31, 2014, 06:26:40 PM
How about I teach you how to maintain the 6D port? It's not an issue if you are a complete novice. We've all been.

You could teach me how to extend my 24h day to 30 hours and need 6h sleep instead of 8, then I'll do it :-> ... no, really, with me it's all about allocating my resources. If I do something for ML beyond writing smart forum posts :-p it's coding usability modules (currently in the works: auto_iso, hot_keys, mini_c (link ML & Canon settings to dial & add some presets)).

What I would sign though is that getting stable-ish ports on the existing platforms should come before adding new "hello, world" cameras to the mix unless some dedicated maintainer for something pops up.

TomJ

Quote from: globalphotobank on March 30, 2014, 12:18:51 AM
I recommend it especially when you get focusing as equal to the C100 now, I have used the 70D for 5 months or so now and focus is fast accurate and super quiet with the STM lenses.

Ditto. And using a glidecam, having AF capability such as this, is unreal. At F/1.8 and ECU walking shots, I get world-class focus that I never could trying to pull manually (virtually impossible with a glidecam). People think these are dolly shots with a follow focus.

TomJ

Quote from: Marsu42 on March 31, 2014, 06:21:00 PM
Excellent idea, I advise you to buy a 6d with wifi and become the new 6d maintainer which will solve a lot of current problems (well, mine anyway) :-)

WIFI is a toy, for me. I can use with my smart phone, but NOT with a lappy. That's how Canon designed it. WTF? So if you want control from your laptop, it's tethered with USB. No WIFI for lap except photo saving (BFD).

Marsu42

Quote from: TomJ on April 01, 2014, 04:44:57 AM
WIFI is a toy, for me. I can use with my smart phone, but NOT with a lappy.

It doesn't work at all with a laptop?! I only tried for a few minutes and then figured I'm just too dumb and didn't want to read the manual :-p ... but there is some infrastructure mode, isn't there?

Mars67

If you want to link the camera with the laptop it is possible to link using the EOS Utility but you have to connect both the camera and the laptop through a Wifi router not directly like using the EOS app on the iPhone or iPad.

Garreth

Quote from: Mars67 on April 01, 2014, 04:46:13 PM
If you want to link the camera with the laptop it is possible to link using the EOS Utility but you have to connect both the camera and the laptop through a Wifi router not directly like using the EOS app on the iPhone or iPad.

It works, but you need to manually start program WFTPairing on the PC, in my case I had to run this as administrator and also I had to run WFT FirewallSettings to make it working. I don't think that this thing is in the manual though:P

Marsu42

Quote from: Garreth on April 01, 2014, 08:06:43 PM
It works, but you need to manually start program WFTPairing on the PC, in my case I had to run this as administrator and also I had to run WFT FirewallSettings to make it working. I don't think that this thing is in the manual though:P

Can you describe the exact procedure? I also started wtfpairing on my laptop, but could not get the camera to connect :-o

TomJ

Quote from: Mars67 on April 01, 2014, 04:46:13 PM

Right, you have to use a router, not directly to lap. You CAN link directly to your cell without data or a router. So I can show a customer a screen remotely from my phone, but not the lap if we're in the field. Canon designed it so you MUST go through a router with a laptop. STUPID!! WTF if you're in the field somewhere? And why make it so a phone can connect through their EOS Remote program, but not to a laptop the same way? So you have to be tethered with USB or indirectly connect through a router. I just don't get it...

Garreth

Quote from: Marsu42 on April 01, 2014, 08:27:23 PM
Can you describe the exact procedure? I also started wtfpairing on my laptop, but could not get the camera to connect :-o

Sure, hope this will help. On camera it's pretty straightforward - go to wifi menu, select wifi function->Remote control (EOS Utility) and follow on screen information to connect to your router until you see the message "start pairing devices". Dont click OK yet!

Then on PC go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\WFTPairing\ (or different if you installed somewhere else ofc), right click on WFT FirewallSettings, select "run as administrator". Next in the same way run as administrator WFTPairing. Now click OK in the camera to start pairing and in that program you should see after a few seconds your camera.  If you don't keep the WFTPairing window active and on camera press Cancel and OK to start pairing once again.
At least it worked for me just now (I did the procedure writing it down).

Also I first connect to camera with the WFTPairing, and after that I start EOS Utility (I keep EOS Utility not running during pairing).

//EDIT:
Damn, I've found out that I'm unable (yet) to connect to the PC using the saved settings, it seems like I need to go through the whole procedure of creating settings set to connect to the PC, what a disaster from Canon...

Smarty Pants

can I emphasise to any of the devs that all we really need ML for on the 70D at the moment is to allow the use of headphones
I understand how much work a full port is but that's all we need, wants and dreams can wait(raw vid etc can wait till dev time is an option)

I'd be happy to pay £10 to be able to monitor audio (i'm sure there are at least 100 70d owners who need just this feature, £1000 for a few days work must be tempting, there could be 1000 owners....)