Canon EOS 70D (RAW possibility)

Started by proXify, July 02, 2013, 12:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hionhifi

I too am waiting for Magic Lantern RAW. I'd be happy with just Magic Lantern for now though.

keule92x

Just a thought: Since the 70D is able to shoot All-I with up to 100mbps it has to have a faster controller than the 650D or 60D, right? If that's true, we might see higher resolutions for raw when it is released (which I hope it to be some day soon ;) )

GARoss

I wonder how different the codes are from the 60d to the 70d.  I'm sure they are but how much would need to be re-written?
Canon EOS 70d w/kit lens Canon EF-S 18-135mm STM, Sigma 18-35mm, Tamron SP 150-600mm, Tamron 16-300mm

globalphotobank

After owning this camera for several months now, I can say MAGIC LANTERN WILL be killer on this model, ESPECIALLY in the video end of it. The tracking is supremo no extra gear needed. Works like a video camera does. Can you imagine the possibilities with Magic lantern installed. Dual ISO and boosted dynamic range. WOW!!! it's gonna be F"IN AWESOME.

globalphotobank

Hope to see a zoom crop while recording video, like the Olympus om-d em-1 It's called rolling crop (crop while rolling) not just zooming to fine tune focus.

Marsu42

Quote from: GARoss on January 24, 2014, 03:51:06 PM
I wonder how different the codes are from the 60d to the 70d.

Probably as different as other digic4->digic5 model changes, so that's covered by 6d/5d3.

Quote from: GARoss on January 24, 2014, 03:51:06 PM
I'm sure they are but how much would need to be re-written?

That's not the problem, of course its about the .fir & finding the fw addresses, but as far as I've seen ML on the 6d the real issues are the *small* changes because always something doesn't quite work as on other cameras, and everything needs to be double-checked. So what you need is not one of the big devs, but someone with "ok" coding skills but a lot of time on his/her hands.

GARoss

Marsu42,
Sorry, I don't know coding skills but can help in other ways.  Perhaps doing an A-B comparison between codes to find differences is something I can do as I have a background in troubleshooting.  I'm willing to help.
Canon EOS 70d w/kit lens Canon EF-S 18-135mm STM, Sigma 18-35mm, Tamron SP 150-600mm, Tamron 16-300mm

Marsu42

Quote from: GARoss on February 08, 2014, 03:50:03 PM
Sorry, I don't know coding skills but can help in other ways.

Alpha testers who have enough time to really try new features & are able to do proper bug reporting are always wanted. Still, that doesn't change the fact that on most cameras (that alex doesn't have :-)) coding is required, and people with knowledge *and* spare time *and* who work for free seem to be rare :-p

GARoss

Quote from: Marsu42 on February 08, 2014, 07:46:57 PM
Alpha testers who have enough time to really try new features & are able to do proper bug reporting are always wanted. Still, that doesn't change the fact that on most cameras (that alex doesn't have :-)) coding is required, and people with knowledge *and* spare time *and* who work for free seem to be rare :-p
I've got time (retired) & I don't want money (retired) but do own a 70d with a nice assortment of lenses :-)). The 70d uses Firmware Version 1.1.1, the same as the 60d. I know they are not the same camera but it would seem there are similarities enough to get something started.

Marsu42

Quote from: GARoss on February 27, 2014, 03:45:08 PMI know they are not the same camera but it would seem there are similarities enough to get something started.

Most likely the 70d is more similar to digic5 6d/5d3/700d than digic4 60d. But it's great to hear you're volunteering to maintaining it, and I'm sure one of the devs will pm you a dev kit to get you started to find the necessary information to have a 70d .fir!

Jakobmen

looking forward to this.. the autofocus is a beast on the canon 70D.
Canon 5D3

GARoss

fredoo

Hey,

I am also a very satisfied 70D owner and ready to dive into ML Dev to start making progress for this great camera !

Shall we start a proper thread for this camera ML firmware and share about the next steps to be worked on ?

What are the initial steps to be done to get started ?

Has someone taken the initiative to lead the project already ?

dmilligan

You need to get a firmware dump from the camera. a1ex or nanomad can help you get started with that.

Also a good idea to get the toolchain setup and make sure you can compile ML. Start looking at the source as well, it's a large complicated code base and there's a steep learning curve.

GARoss

Quote from: dmilligan on March 01, 2014, 04:47:40 AM
You need to get a firmware dump from the camera. a1ex or nanomad can help you get started with that.

Also a good idea to get the toolchain setup and make sure you can compile ML. Start looking at the source as well, it's a large complicated code base and there's a steep learning curve.

The firmware for 70d is the same as the 60d, v1.1.1. I wonder if the current ML version for the 60d would work on the 70d, but, as Marsu42 points out, the 70d uses Digic5, not Digic4 as in the 60d. There are differences but what?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: GARoss on March 01, 2014, 04:25:29 PM
The firmware for 70d is the same as the 60d, v1.1.1.

There are two persons named Alan Smith. Are they identical, too?

dmilligan

Version numbers are unique to each camera. So 1.1.1 on two different cameras don't mean that the version is the 'same'

GARoss

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 01, 2014, 04:28:26 PM
There are two persons named Alan Smith. Are they identical, too?
Of course they are different... one's a 70d, the other is 60d! ;D Canon support doesn't list any firmware version for the 70d. I only stated the firmware are the same. I'm sure "close, but no cigar" would apply as well!

Stedda

Even if they were the same which they're not you still need a dedicated developer with a 70D that is willing to take the time to do the task. The Devs are working on the cameras they own themselves the firmware is just the starting point.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

GARoss

Quote from: Stedda on March 01, 2014, 05:23:22 PM
Even if they were the same which they're not you still need a dedicated developer with a 70D that is willing to take the time to do the task. The Devs are working on the cameras they own themselves the firmware is just the starting point.

Understood. I'm sure it's not a simple fix & did not intend to imply that it was. I admire what developers do & I'm amazed they have accomplished so much with so many different cameras. No one should take their skills for granted.
I only shoot photos in RAW & can't wait to see what the 70d can do with RAW video! 8)

TomJ

Quote from: GARoss on March 01, 2014, 06:20:49 PM
Understood. I'm sure it's not a simple fix & did not intend to imply that it was. I admire what developers do & I'm amazed they have accomplished so much with so many different cameras. No one should take their skills for granted.
I only shoot photos in RAW & can't wait to see what the 70d can do with RAW video! 8)

That's why I'm prob selling the 70D as soon as I get my hands on a GH4. Have had Canon's since my manual F1 in 1981 (aside from having to use Nikon F4's shooting for an org in the 90's), but truthfully, Canon's a bit behind now with video and with what the Pana can do (according to sources anyway) with vid, I'll jump on that one as soon as I can. ML won't be out for the 70D before the Pana arrives, that's a fact. I miss many things that I had with ML and the T3i/T4i, but as all things go, keeping up with the times and DSLR vid (incl 4k and raw) is where things are now. Not waiting till the 70D is obsolete for RAW vid to be available. Canon could have done that. They didn't. Others are heading there, I'll follow.

GARoss

Quote from: TomJ on March 02, 2014, 01:57:51 AM
That's why I'm prob selling the 70D as soon as I get my hands on a GH4. Have had Canon's since my manual F1 in 1981 (aside from having to use Nikon F4's shooting for an org in the 90's), but truthfully, Canon's a bit behind now with video and with what the Pana can do (according to sources anyway) with vid, I'll jump on that one as soon as I can. ML won't be out for the 70D before the Pana arrives, that's a fact. I miss many things that I had with ML and the T3i/T4i, but as all things go, keeping up with the times and DSLR vid (incl 4k and raw) is where things are now. Not waiting till the 70D is obsolete for RAW vid to be available. Canon could have done that. They didn't. Others are heading there, I'll follow.

I don't think Canon will ever develop RAW video for lower cost DSLRs.  The truth is Canon markets their product line in such a way for consumers to have a reason to purchase their more expensive products. Canon, as with any manufacture, will compete only enough as they need to; always trying to appear just ahead of other competitors, but saving some newer tech out for next years, more advanced better-than-ever-before model. The good folks here at ML have created a monster of sorts by opening our eyes to something better.

The Panasonic GH4 looks great but I'm not seeing RAW video support. Are you sure it does RAW video? As for myself, I did consider the GH3(?) before seeing what the 70d could do. I consider myself photo first, then video as a plus. I have over the years invested in several EF lenses so that makes switching brands harder, too. Best of luck to you!

Marsu42

Quote from: GARoss on March 02, 2014, 03:10:37 PM
I don't think Canon will ever develop RAW video for lower cost DSLRs.

Imho Canon does what the market demands while maximizing profits, nothing more, nothing less. So if serious dslr competition adds raw, they will, at for lower resolutions & if they have upgraded their sd card controllers by then. But I don't expect this to happen in the next 2-3 camera generations, so not before 5 years from now.

GARoss

Quote from: Marsu42 on March 02, 2014, 08:03:09 PM
Imho Canon does what the market demands while maximizing profits, nothing more, nothing less. So if serious dslr competition adds raw, they will, at for lower resolutions & if they have upgraded their sd card controllers by then. But I don't expect this to happen in the next 2-3 camera generations, so not before 5 years from now.

It's a pity... but sadly true. After all, Canon only improved video AF on DSLRs (EOS 70d) to answer mirrorless design's video AF advantage. It now appears they will add this feature to a newer MK5 IV(?), which is great. Competition works! But, it wouldn't surprise me to see RAW video on mirrorless cameras first as it seems that they are more leading edge these days. The video specs on the Panasonic GH4 are spectacular. True 4k video @ 100mbs + LPCM audio? Wow, they are serious!

globalphotobank

May be dumping my 70D for the pani  :-\ ;D as well. Knowing what the G3 was like and now the 4, and the 4 with future improvements, might just be the be all. Come on Canon step up with improvements.  :-[ ML has be awesome, you guys kick ass.