MacBoot / MK3 / SD Card Confusion

Started by Oedipax, July 02, 2013, 12:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oedipax

So I've just received my new MKIII and I figure the install will be a breeze having done this dozens on times on my MKII... guess not!

For some reason, I can't get MacBoot to recognize any of my SD cards. My understanding is that on the MKIII you run ML off the SD card and then record to the CF. I like this idea since it means I don't have to prepare multiple CF cards with ML before shooting.

Anyway, MacBoot doesn't recognize my SD cards (8GB and 16GB). I tried formatting them in the MKIII (as FAT32) and on my Mac (as ExFat). MacBoot scans them and says they aren't suitable.

My 64GB CF card meanwhile shows up just fine. What am I missing? I guess I could just install ML on the CF card, but this is bugging me.

Sthirasukha

Suggestion:
What's your Canon firmware? 1.2 or 1.1.3? (If your 5D MKIII is new you should be with V1.2 and you have to downgrade to 1.1.3)

Oedipax

Hey Sthirasukha, thanks for your reply - but I got it figured out, kind of. It was my card reader causing the issue for some reason. When I put the same SD card in my Macbook's built-in reader, Macboot saw the card just fine. Already had 1.1.2 on the camera (I was following along with a guide and got stuck at that spot). Just shot some footage on the MKIII and bringing it in via RAWMagic right now!

QuickHitRecord

I am having a similar problem, but mine isn't an issue of the card reader because I have had the same result putting the cards directly into my computer (and someone else's computer) as well as a separate card reader plugged into that computer. None of the cards has the write protect enabled and each has been formatted in the 5Diii.

I am running OSX Lion (so no additional .command file necessary) but MacBoot is not able to recognize any SD card that I have. I have now tried two 32GB SDHC cards and one 64GB SDXC card, but the result is the same every time. I have even tried a fast 1000x Lexar CF card that I intend to record to but I get the same thing; I get "There are no suitable cards" every time.

However, MacBoot what does recognize is the cheap flash drive that I have plugged into another USB port.

Does anyone have any ideas about other things that I could try?

Thanks.
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

Danne

Quote from: Oedipax on July 02, 2013, 01:37:25 AM
Already had 1.1.2 on the camera (I was following along with a guide and got stuck at that spot). Just shot some footage on the MKIII and bringing it in via RAWMagic right now!

Shouldn,t the firmware be 1.1.3 for the 5d mark 3?

aaphotog

On the computer that it did not work on, are you running mountain lion? If so, you have to install some script in order for macboot to work. Took me a while to figure this out.

QuickHitRecord

Quote from: aaphotog on July 20, 2013, 12:54:25 AM
On the computer that it did not work on, are you running mountain lion? If so, you have to install some script in order for macboot to work. Took me a while to figure this out.

I have tried this on two different Macs now, both running Mac OSX Lion (not Mountain Lion). I also tried the .command file as well to see if that would give me a different outcome, but it didn't.
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

QuickHitRecord

Not sure why, but I just tried it on my home iMac and it worked. I guess that third time's the charm!

aaphotog

Quote from: QuickHitRecord on July 20, 2013, 01:55:09 AM
Not sure why, but I just tried it on my home iMac and it worked. I guess that third time's the charm!
What did you try?