Silent picture max exposure time??

Started by swinxx, June 30, 2013, 11:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swinxx

Hello friends!
Tonight i tried to shoot a star timelaps again, and wanted to shoot with silent picture mode and intervallometer.
So is it only me or is it not really possible to adjust longer exposure times in silent picture mode.. ?
When shooting in photo mode with cr2 files i can adjust up to 32 seconds..
Greets rene

swinxx

Bump.

Please anyone know the max exposure time in silent picture??
Thx

a1ex

jose_ugs

So silent picture is not really worth it for late-night timelapses :(

a13x

Quote from: a1ex1/fps, obviously...
I also thought but it is not right

minimum exposure time less 1 sec and not changing (i don't know why).
I tried shoot at 1 frame in 2 sec with shutter time 2 sec, but nothing change. all pictures make with shutter time <1sec. Iso (very noise picture) and shutter time is auto work.
I don't know how see metadata dng image

resolved. fps override helped :)
1 / fps override must be = take picture every X sec.
ex: for shutter time 1 sec change fps override to 1 sec and picture every 1sec., for shutter time 2 sec change fps override to 0.5 sec. and take picture every 2 sec.

very strange that i can make more 1fps in "like crazy mode", but in menu "TAKE A PIC EVERY" i can't make less 1s :-\ (example 0.5s, 0.33s, 0.25s)

tobi_ml

Sorry, my English is not the best and I am not sure if I understood you right. Do you have an solution for a 'silent long exposure'? What does the mode change cause?
@ a developer: Is this limitation (no long LV exposure) a hardware limitation or is it gernerally possible to extend the limits in a future release?

a13x

no limitation. just set fps override to 1fps and set live view mode (silent pic must be every 1 sec).
if you don't make this (fps override) your LCD will be refreshing with 30 fps and  shutter time will be 1\30.

tobi_ml

Ok, if FPS override is on 1fps, than the LV will refresh once every second, so the longest exposure is 1 second - am I right so far? The smallest fps I can get is 0.15 (but only in 'High Jello'-mode, what is that and what effect does it have?). With 0.15 fps a maximum exposure time of 6 seconds should be possible.
So a exposure time longer than 6 seconds (for example 20 seconds) is generally not possible with silent pictures?!
Why? Is a fps of 0.15 the lowest fps you can get by the hardware or because the developer thought a lower fps would be impractical or could damage the sensor?

1%

.15 is the lowest you get because thats the slowest timing the camera will take. Stills + LV are 2 different things, you can't expose the LV for longer than the slowest FPS because of the way it reads the sensor. The shutter is open 100% of the time and its digitally blanked.

tobi_ml

Ok, thanks a lot 1% for the explaining!