Is it possible to use external monitor with magic lantern raw?

Started by swinxx, June 28, 2013, 06:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swinxx

Hello. I think i have read somewhere that it is not possible to use an external monitor when recording raw cause the hdmi output is not working?? Is that true?
Thx sw

cthornhill

The hdmi port is active. You need to test with your camera and monitor. I found on my 60D that some devices caused data corruption, and others worked a bit better ( I lost some shots but not others). This is just what I experienced, others with different cameras say they get different results (some appear to have issues, some not). I have not heared from a developer yet.

Some people suggest using the monitor to set up, then removing it to shoot the final take.

You mileage may vary... :)

driftwood

Fine with 5DmkIII - tested an ext monitor and atamos without problems during record and no effect on the raw file.
Canon 60D, Canon 5DMK3, Lexar 1000x 128GB CF, Panasonic (shhhh!) GH2s & GH3s. :-)

cthornhill

That is GREAT NEWS!...I was hoping the latest builds on the 5DM3 might work. I expect it may get a bit better on even my 60D in future, but the 5DM3 should have the spare capacity, and it sounds like it does...now how I acquire a 5DM3 is another subject entirely...:-)

premini

My 5d3 is not recording with a SmallHd DP4 attached, I use a Lexar 1000x 32Gb.
Is this a hardware limitation or there's some hope? :S

Markus

Works on my 5Dmk III too but there is a bug with the "aspect ratio frame" not placed correctly. Hopefully this will be corrected as development goes on.
Otherwise its a joy recording raw with my zacuto evf. By enabling and tweaking ML focus peak in combination with canon picture profile with digital sharpness turned up and zacutos own digital sharpen at value one I have no problems seeing where my focus is at. =)

Komputerbay 64GB Card continuous at 1920x1152 25fps

premini

heniloux

Works fine, but you get offset frame guides on auto preview mode, ML gray seems to give you a colour image with the lines not entering your frame. We rely then on the cropmark overlays for framing ...

kukysimon

Hi,... i was wondering if you can add your problem to this link, it seems there are dozens and dozens of people who started threads and topics about issues with external monitors , but these are all over the place and consequently no one thinks its an issue since they show up only one at a time in this very big haystack of threads. i started a thread at the developpers page addressing it to alex, in the hopes he can make this more priority, there is a vote and a follow option, if you wouldn't mind adding yours there as well, may be alex can then see how many people really do work with external monitors and have a hard time not seeing crop marks the right way and other issues:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/1582/crop-bars-for-external-smallhd-oled-7-7

i would really appreciate your effort, may be we can all get together on those many issues with external monitors..

BR
Kuky