5D Mark III Stangely Coloured RAW Video

Started by AquaGeneral, June 28, 2013, 06:31:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AquaGeneral

I have recorded a fair number of successful shots with the RAW mode in Magic Lantern v2.3 2013 June 13. Recently however it's become hit and miss. Sometimes they record correctly, but other times, while importing the DNGs generated by Raw2dng into After Effects, the image looks pink and corrupt.

I have tried the latest version of Raw2dng. My recording settings are always 1080 24p (with FPS override) on, and the 5D III is set to 1920 30 ALL-I

I think the main difference between the working and non-working recordings is that the non-working ones are usually split up into multiple files. Here is information about the files from the video above:

File NameFile Size (KB)
M28-1053.R004,194,304
M28-1053.R011,743,689
M28-1053.RAW4,194,304

Raw2Dng only seems to process the video if I drag the last section into it (in this case "M28-1053.R01"). Dragging any others in the following error pops up for a few frames: Error: This ain't a lv_rec RAW file

Any idea what's going on?

DerekDock

www.vimeo.com/leftcoastdigital
www.twitter.com/derekdock

RascalFilms

Hello,

I have encountered the same problem. Not sure if it is something to do with the 5DIII we both own, or if there are others out there with the same problem. It could be the CF cards. I have also noticed that using the lastest version (June 22, 2013) I am no longer able to use RAW2DNG, I can only use RAWMagic.

I am using Komputer Bay 64GB 1000X cards.

RascalFilms

AquaGeneral

I have updated to version 2.3 June 28 and the problem still persists. It only occurs on recordings that are split up. I've tried both RAW2DNG and RAWMagic with no luck.

The recordings under 4GB worked fine.

AnotherDave

Shoot in 24p native, not with the override and try it again. :-/

Mickeyboo

I think RawMagic and DaVinci Resolve lite (both free for Mac platform) ...is a much better way to go.  It's much faster (64bit) and I no longer had magenta casts in my files like when I used Raw2DNG.  The magenta casts were nothing like your sample... I've never had anything like that on my 5D M3...the files are rich from the get go I'm also using the Technicolor free "Cinestyle" picture style file...I think you'll be quite pleased I also recommend underexposure by about 1 stop.

aaphotog

Quote from: AnotherDave on July 03, 2013, 04:18:57 AM
Shoot in 24p native, not with the override and try it again. :-/
When shooting in native 24p, I heard that it actually records 30p
I dont recall if that is in crop mode, regular mode, or both. Does that no longer happen?

AquaGeneral

Mickeyboo - I tried recording a video with native 24p (good idea by the way!). It didn't fix the issue I am seeing unfortunately.

AnotherDave - I wanted to use DaVinci before, but thought I had to buy it. Thanks you letting me know about the lite version! RawMagic is definetely better for conversion, but my little Mac Mini is very slow compared to my Windows PC. I would prefer not needing to rely on my Mac for this. Also, my first test using RawMagic didn't output anything different than Raw2dng (or at least it still had the same corruption). Also, thanks for those suggestions - I will have to look into that all soon.

AquaGeneral

Anyone have any idea what I can do? Developers?

AquaGeneral

After reinstalling Magic Lantern for another try, I have found a few things. I am able to playback RAW videos under 4GB on the camera without issue. When record and playback a video in-camera over 4GB it plays, however has a "footer format mismatch" message. Even though it displays that message, it still plays the video in black and white like normal.

When trying to use raw2dng on Mac (since it was the fastest way to test), I receive the following output:
/Users/aquageneral/Downloads/raw2dng /Users/aquageneral/Desktop/raw2/M06-1210.R00
Resolution  : 1920 x 1080
Frames      : 1414
Frame size  : 3629056 bytes
Frame skip  : 1
FPS         : 23.976
Processing frame 1 of 1414...Segmentation fault: 11

It randomly worked after many attempts, but not with my latest test video. Prior to trying, both the R00 and RAW file would yield a "This ain't a lv_rec RAW file" message.