Technicolor Color Assist no more - Has raw killed Technicolor's DSLR involvment?

Started by Andy600, June 29, 2013, 05:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

A bit of a strange one from Technicolor. They have abruptly discontinued Color Assist.

https://www.technicolorcinestyle.com/cinestyle-color-assist/

I haven't tried the software personally but it did look to be quite useful and was enthused about by Vincent Laforet. It's a bit strange for them to kill it so early. Maybe sales were very poor!? Has ML raw been a contributing factor?

Technicolor have had a rough time lately seeing them refactoring huge debts. Maybe this is part of a streamlining process but it's a strange thing to do when there are a huge number of enthusiastic DSLR shooters out there. The market is there and they have a hugely respected name but their advertising and promotion is a bit crap.

Is that it for Technicolor's involvement in DSLR/Low end shooting?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

mageye

Well I am actually quite pleased to see 'Technicolor Cinestyle' is dead and buried. It was a bit of a con anyway. It was a workaround and I find it hard to believe so many people were backing it as if it was going to turn 8bit H.264 into ARRI Alexa or something. ;D

It really is laughable how it was backed by so many people that should have known better and should have just admitted it at the time. The whole thing was wishful thinking and a few capitalising on so called improved picture styles (which do actually make a fractional difference). It was all but impossible to 'increase dynamic range' that wasn't in the image in the first place (with H.264 that is).

I thought that the program Color Assist was like a toy version of Black Magic's DaVinci Resolve (maybe I am wrong but who cares? and obviously Technicolor don't) ::) ;D
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

1%

I doubt it was from raw. Lots of people still shoot H264, raw is huge.

DerekDock

I never used color assist more than a trial right when Cinestyle was released. I found the Cinestyle to be horrible and didn't use it for more than a month. I'm sure Vince and other bloggers where getting paid by Technicolor to promote it. I've favored the Lightform looks myself.
www.vimeo.com/leftcoastdigital
www.twitter.com/derekdock

N/A

7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?