How can I use the XMP deflicker files?

Started by mSpider, June 27, 2013, 12:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mSpider

Found the steps to use the UFRAW, but I wnat to use XMP files.
Anyone know where I might find instructions?

Danne

You place the xmp files in the same folder as your dngs, open the dng,s in lightroom or photoshop. Xmp-settings should apply automatically. More info here
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5705.msg41478#msg41478

mSpider

I'm using CR2's
Same deal?
And I don't have to selct all the photos and choose "Read metadata from file"?

Danne

I think it,s the same with cr2, havn,t tried that though.
Good luck

mSpider

Danne

Audionut

If you import in LR from the card, I don't think it copies the xmp's.

Copy all the files manually into a folder on your hdd and import to your catalog from there.  It will read the xmp and automatically apply the exposure adjustment.

mSpider

Thank you.
I tried to test it this morning, but I closed the flip out LCD on my 60D.
It doesn't make XMP's with the LCD screen closed......
I thought maybe you had to "Read Metadata from File"...but you say no....

Audionut

It needs to be able to access the quick image review on the LCD.

You can fold that LCD around on a 60D so that it looks like a regular LCD correct?

Then go to image review settings in Canon menu and adjust to taste.  ML only needs the minimum 2 secs. 
I personally often have it set to "hold", so that I can review the image with raw based histogram/zebras.

mSpider

Hi Audionut, thank you for your replies...
I do timelapses, so I don't need to review each picture--but I understand that ML needs to be able to.
I just did a sunset timelapse, with the deflicker XMP's turned on.
I put the XMP's in the same folder as the CR2's, and imported the folder to Lightroom 4.2:
No deflickering happening.
I then tried the "Read metadata from file" option.
Still no deflickering.
Any ideas?

mSpider

I just checked the time on my 60D:
Its about a minute ahead of my computer.....
Could this be the problem?

Danne

I have my camera set an hour later than my computer. I also synchronise my folder together with the xmp,s, like audionut suggests. I never import straight to lightroom via camera.

mSpider

So there is more to it than just copying the XMP files to the folder with the pictures--that ISN'T the only step.
I must somehow "synchronize" my XMP's.....

Do you know where I might find instructions on how to "synchronize my XMP's to my folder like Audionut suggests?

Danne

Well, start with importing a folder to lightroom by making the folder than choose import. Name it xmp,movies or something. Once imported start loading your files and xmp,s in this folder. You fill the folder outside lightroom. Within lightroom right click on the folder, choose synchronize. Done

Audionut

I copy all my CR2 and XMP files to a folder on the HDD.  So select all the files from the card drive and copy to folder on HDD.

Then import that folder in LR.  It should automatically apply the exposure adjustments.  If it doesn't, something is wrong in your process.

Make sure you are using sRGB color space in the Canon settings. 

Check the file names of your files.  You should have for instance,

D46A0001.CR2
D46A0001.XMP

edit:  Only new to LR, previous ACR user.  Danne's process to synchronize the folder sounds better.

mSpider

How do you "synchronize" the folder?
My "process" didn't work--no deflickering going on.
As far as I can tell, no XMP data being uploaded to photos.

glubber

I'm just processing my first timelapse with XMPs and had no issues:
- copying files from sd to hdd
- Inside LR importing folder from hdd, grid-view (G), selecting all the images (Ctrl-A) of folder
- Select Metadata menue -> Read metadata from files.
- wait a while .... et voila
- exporting to jpg etc... (wait a very long time)  :P

not as fast as ufraw.... but at least no pink highlights.
EOS 550D // Sigma 18-200 // Sigma 18-70 // Canon 10-18 STM

mSpider

Got it--so its not enough to just put the XMP's in the same folder--you have to have LR4 "Read Metadata From File"...

Danne

I simply synchronize my folder with all the files, works for me.

mSpider

What do you mean "synchronize my folder with all the files"?
How do you "synchronize"?

Danne

"Well, start with importing a folder to lightroom by making the folder than choose import. Name it xmp,movies or something. Once imported start loading your files and xmp,s in this folder. You fill the folder outside lightroom. Within lightroom right click on the folder, choose synchronize. Done"

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/1.0/help.html?content=WS0E8634AC-5DB4-4d0c-9CF5-840A1BC95FA0.html
http://www.image-space.com/Lightroom_Tips_Tricks/Library_Module_Tips/Synchronize_Folders/Synchronize_Folders.html
http://www.texaschicksblogsandpics.com/lightroom-tutorial-synchronize-photos-vs-import/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIvQrfxqWeo

Synchronizing is one of the most basic functions in lightroom. Tried to explain so many time already. My text plus four links on the topic. If this doesn,t come through I don,t know what will.

mSpider

mSpider

mSpider

Still not working.
Can you tell me, are there Develope Settings applied in lightroom if this is working?
Do you get the little icon that has a "+/-" on it in the lower corner of the thuumbnails?
How can I see if LR has successfully detected the XMP files the Magic Lantern creates?

Danne

You get the +- icon, that,s how it works. It,s supposed to level your exposures the same so no flicker will appear.
Try without the xmp files and synchronize, then you se the +- icons dissapear