Saving battery life

Started by luke1100, June 26, 2013, 04:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luke1100

After enabling raw video my battery life dramatically disappears even if I'm not recording. Would it be possible for the developers to disable raw (unload modules) when the camera is idle.  That way raw is turned off when using live view mode, and it's not killing the battery.  Yet, when I start recording ML turns the raw processing option back on (loads modules).  Raw would only be enabled when actually needed, when recording.

Even if ML needs to restart the camera every time we stop recording to unload the modules, it would be easer than doing it manually.

1%

Some drain is from raw... the rest is from high CPU usage processing raw histo/zebra/etc.. turn some of those off.

a1ex

I've measured power draw with histogram and focus peaking enabled, and it was like 5% more than with plain Canon firmware.

Get a new battery.

1%

Maybe raw mode then? Something eats battery, either the canon mode itself or all that crazy writing.

a1ex

On 50D and 500D, almost all cases of battery drain were because the batteries were very old. Or, the owner did not use the camera in LiveView before installing ML.

1%

My exp with batteries:

6D - OK
600D - very good
EOS-M - terrible , raw or not
50D - About as bad as eos M, but batteries old, the 2 in the grip probably add up to 1 normal

Everything except M is good just shooting stills, no LV.

for raw video I'd use the plug, a normal several hour shoot you'd need a mountain of batteries

deletedAcc.0021

New batteries here ... not noticing any significant or excessive drain even while shooting raw with 600d.
Battery grip on the main camera and carry a couple spares for the b-roll camera.

I did get a low bat warning after shooting about 12 mins of raw once, but pretty sure it was a battery that was used the previous day on a shoot.

GD on with histogram and rec/stby notify always on.