Max horisontal resolution in regular RAW mode

Started by Northernlight, June 25, 2013, 12:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northernlight

Hi,

Is 1920 the maximum horizontal resolution we can expect in regular RAW mode?
I see vertical resolution can be increased above 1080p to eg. 1152.

Reason I ask is due to software image stabilization (SIS) in post. We can film in 2048x1152 in crop/zoom (5x) mode, but this means my wideangle lenses becomes normal lenses. But of course in general there will be more need for SIS when using normal to tele lenses, but would be nice to be able to record 2048x1152 in regular mode so that I get SIS also on my WA glass.

The 24-70 II 2.8 on my 5D3 in 2048x1152 in regular RAW mode would be awesome.

If we could record at 2048x1152 @24fps (94-95MBsec) it would give us 4%-6% room for software IS, which should be enough for most cases. And then we could get an awesome stable image without loosing resolution from 1920x1080 point of view.

Is higher resolution than 1920x1080 in normal RAW mode possible if CF cards become faster, or CF to SATA,  RAW to SAS becomes a reality?

AndreyM

Maximum normal resolution is 1920x1280 (for 5D Mark III). This is covering full sensor so you can's go wider unless you have crop mode or if you find new way to read image date outside of the sensor. :-)

Best Regards,
Andrey

Northernlight

Isn't the 1920 resolution scaled down from a larger RAW image captured from the Live View feed?
And if so, should we not be able to scale down and shoot in 2048 horisontal?

a1ex

3pointedit

I guess the OP is wondering what happens to all the poor lost pixels that are discarded for video display. More density same FOV. I gather that ML can only access the image which is going to the video compression architecture, or at least the rear screen (as in the case of non-video cameras like 50D).
550D on ML-roids