UHS-I / SD cards investigation

Started by nikfreak, July 30, 2014, 05:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on August 13, 2022, 12:27:05 AM
I will have some news soon for 5D3/EOS M/100D users regarding 240 MHz SD overclocking. I was digging into SD stuff in the past few weeks :) . if you was on Discord You could have known some info.
Not bad  8).

SebastianC

vastunghia

5D3 for video
70D for photo

Icaab

Hello. I wanted to buy a new memory card, but there is no possibility to take extreme pro 170MByte/s.
The dilemma between:
Kingston canvas go plus 170MByte/s(64 and 128)
SanDisk Ultra 120MByte/s (128) or SanDisk Ultra microSDHC 120MB/s (128)
And some Samsung EVO Plus
No table where the comparison of different cards?
Or are there no analogs extreme and it is better to take it from the hands ? (Amazon, etc.)

Icaab

I'm sorry to repeat, but I'll write it here
Memory card needed for camera 650d 14 bit Crop Mode UHD

Walter Schulz

Still Gold Standard:
Sandisk Extreme Pro R170/W90

Tad slower:
Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s

My tests with Sandisk Extreme Plus R170/W90 were good, too. Same performance as Extreme Pro R170/W90. Same price, too.

Other cards tested failed at 240 MHz overclocking.
Just ordered a Sandisk Extreme R190/W130. In a week (or later) we may find out how it performs.

Icaab

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 21, 2022, 04:58:49 PM
Still Gold Standard:
Sandisk Extreme Pro R170/W90

Tad slower:
Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s

My tests with Sandisk Extreme Plus R170/W90 were good, too. Same performance as Extreme Pro R170/W90. Same price, too.

Other cards tested failed at 240 MHz overclocking.
Just ordered a Sandisk Extreme R190/W130. In a week (or later) we may find out how it performs.
As I understood correctly - the speed of the memory card Extreme Pro 95 is not enough to record UHD, because when my test the video shooting was quickly interrupted, and sometimes worked steadily as an extreme pro 170 (and it turns out that the Sandisk Extreme Plus R170/W90 will also behave in this way and for 4K speed is required 170)

Walter Schulz

May I ask which write rate you are trying to achieve?
I just ran some tests and got around 80 MByte/s for video recording.

Icaab

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 21, 2022, 08:05:29 PM
May I ask which write rate you are trying to achieve?
I just ran some tests and got around 80 MByte/s for video recording.
I meant the speed that is written on the memory card box. I just need to be able to shoot with Crop mode in 4K.
With Sandisk Extreme Pro R170/W90 I was capable to do this. Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s did give me problems (low-level formatting was)

Walter Schulz

It may (!) be caused by running on the edge and the small difference in card performance indeed makes a difference. Speculation, of course.

bobolee

EOSM,ex pro 95MB/s,NP-F970 for power,feiyu scorp pro+manual focus kit

Walter Schulz

Overclocking abilities (implemented):

Overclocking abilites (in theory):

There were first experiments with 280 but never got stable.
384 ... we don't really think there is any UHS-I card compatible wth this mode. Status ATM: Pipe dream.

123kid

Hey,

i dont if somebody has this issue, but i can only record with on my 5dmarkiii about 18mb/s write speed.
i used several san disk pro extreme sd cards..but i cant get more than 20mb/s write speed.

i have the 5dmarkiii with firmware 1.2.3 and the latest magic lantern version on the sd cards...

any help?

Walter Schulz

Are you using Danne's build? Overclocking is only available there.
You have to activate sd_uhs.mo module. Then access Debug tab and enable overclocking.

123kid

I was able to load the sduhs module on my 5d mark iii.
and get with sd card around 97 write mb/s and 70 read mb/s.

but anyone get around 170mb/s with a V60 or V90 sd card?

Walter Schulz

No.
V60 and V90 are UHS-II cards. Look it up: There is no UHS-I card with this label and never can be because of rules made by SD Association.

UHS-II will run in UHS-I compatibility mode and may perform well @240 MHz (compared to fastests UHS-I cards). Or not.

Initial experiments with 280 MHz oc were not successful.

123kid

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 19, 2023, 12:30:34 PM
No.
V60 and V90 are UHS-II cards. Look it up: There is no UHS-I card with this label and never can be because of rules made by SD Association.

UHS-II will run in UHS-I compatibility mode and may perform well @240 MHz (compared to fastests UHS-I cards). Or not.

Initial experiments with 280 MHz oc were not successful.

what about a micro sd card which is able to write 120mb/s with an cf card adapter? I mean you can put the micro sd card into a cf adapter..

Walter Schulz