RAW Video "Movie Restart" and "Start again before buffer to SD reversal is ended

Started by gerk.raisen, June 24, 2013, 02:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerk.raisen

It's possible to have the "Movie Restart" working also for RAW videos?
I tried enabling it but it seems doesn't work for RAW.
Yesterday for example I was recording a fireworks show in RAW and after every time that RAW filled the buffers (and the record stopped) I had to wait and continue check for the moment when the buffers to SD write is complete to start it again.
I think it can be very useful.
+Another interesting feature can be the ability of start again a new recording before the completion of buffers to SD/CF reversal write (it can became like a pause button),
(You can miss a lot of action waiting for completion)

gerk.raisen

Yesterday I shoot again in RAW and especially the "Movie Restart" not working in RAW is very annoying.
You have to be concentrated on the display waiting just to know when push record button again :(
I was thinking it's not too difficult to add it, isn't it?

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

gerk.raisen

Thank you Andy600 but I already tried with frame skipping but the result are totally different than wanted

Example  1280x720@30p

NOW:
press record
150/200 frames (about 5-7.5 sec) @ 30p
wait for buffer to SD write complete
press record again

with FRAME SKIPPING on:
press record
[frame skipping became active]
indefinitely frames @ less than 15fps
stop record
[starting buffer to SD write]

So, with the frame skipping option enabled after the buffers gets full, I only obtain an infinity-long low-fps in-utilizable videos.
Instead I want that  (with Movie Restart option = on),  after the buffers gets full, ML writes it to SD as usual but immediately after that automatically start a new record. (like in H264 videos,)

kgv5

I would like such a feature too. Would be useful especially when recording short clips due to technical limitations.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

a1ex

If you use the 5D2 method, it might work.

Actually, one has to combine both methods for a portable implementation. On new cameras, ML waits for Canon's error dialog. On older ones, that dialog doesn't appear, so it looks at button presses. Of course, raw video doesn't open a dialog box, and since it uses the same key, the old method should work. Should be straigtforward to implement.

gerk.raisen

Thank you A1ex,

Maybe I don't understood completely your answer but I was thinking if is not more simple an maybe reliable to just insert something like a trigger than when enabled at the end of buffers to SD/CF reversal write, instead of ending, it start video again?

a1ex

This means adding a new option under the raw video submenu, instead of using the existing movie restart.

gerk.raisen

Maybe :)

It can be under a new entry in the Frame skipping menu named something like "Until buffer reversal completation".
ML will skip frames "Until buffer reversal completation".
In this case the logic seems that the recording continue in same file.

Another possibility is that when the option "Movie restart = on" ,
ML check and if also "is in RAW recording", instead of use the H264 procedure,
it enable a trigger to start video again at the end of buffers to SD/CF reversal write
(In this case instead maybe seems more logic to create a new file)